Still Alive. Aperture Science Advanced Military Combat Suit (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Summer school is about over, so I will be back to work soon! I have no way to vac-form, but I was able to make a visor by hand forming with a heat gun. It's still clear, so I still need to get some tint for it, but it works!

I was actually looking at the Zentai suits as a possibility. Much better price compared to a Morphsuit, and I don't have to sew. Lol

Update finally!

Ok. I've been helping at my moms school with their summer school program for the past 2 weeks, so I havent had much time to work. HOWEVER. I have spent 6 straight hours today, and I am happy to give you, my new Cod piece. :D

Before:

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

After:

bfbaac7f.jpg

aa90cfae.jpg

ea5c03d1.jpg

bfa79c45.jpg

3284886f.jpg

186a6720.jpg

I know it LOOKS the same, I actually went and scaled the whole thing down by about 25 mm. Parts of it were... comically massive... so to speak.

Semi-mid line update.

Due to me... ummm... Epicly failing at fitting a visor to my CQB helm... It is no longer in a state that I can work with. (at least not in my time frame). I am currently building a new helm, Recon, and I will be working with that instead. Smaller visor should work out nicer for me anyway, as I have absolutely no way of vac-forming, nor the time to build a vac-form table. I'll update with pics when it's finished.

I need major help as well. As this is a portal-themed build, I want to integrate the Long-Fall Boots into my shin and boot armour as much as possible. Thing is, I dont know how I should go about doing that, so if anyone has any suggestions, then I am all ears.

THANKS! :)

OK! Not done, but as I said, I am working on a new helm since my first one didn't quite work out... I'm about halfway and I just wanted to show.

Here's what my old one now looks like.

8420a4b3.jpg

230f154e.jpg

And here is the shiny, new, now-that-I-actually-know-what-I'm-doing one.

d270fcf0.jpg

2af28201.jpg

Anything in blue, is parts that didn't transition smoothly from paper to foam, So I just made thin foam patches that I will fill in with plaster or something later and sand and carve down.

Looking good :)
The cqb looks a little squished though lol, but still not to shabby

Looking good :)
The cqb looks a little squished though lol, but still not to shabby

Yeah... That came from removing the visor. I had it in and fairly formed, but in trying to smooth out the bumps it kind of... Melted... A bit... Also helms are notorious about being difficult to foam and it was misshaped from the start. I've run into similar issues with the recon, but I know more now on how to fix them.

hey, nice build, the foam looks great. idea for the long fall boots: maybe have it so they fold up your leg, but when you " go on a long fall" they can swing down into place. Maybe thats hard to understand, i dunno.

hey, nice build, the foam looks great. idea for the long fall boots: maybe have it so they fold up your leg, but when you " go on a long fall" they can swing down into place. Maybe thats hard to understand, i dunno.

I... Kinda get it? i see what your saying, but I'm looking for a more seamless merging of the two. If I can't thats fine, I'll just invent a new form of boot. but I want to stay as true to the two universes as possible.

That said... I HAZ RECON! Semi-modified of course.

347cbdee.jpg

95a6da4f.jpg

93973f55.jpg

f057c8f1.jpg

126f7bfd.jpg

The gap in that white bit is so my nose and chin fit through... I'll fasten it with a small strip of velcro when i get done painting.

As for all the gaps and seams, I'm thinking about mixing up a dilute glue solution, and using it with plaster, it should make a slightly more durable and waterproof form of Plaster of Paris, that I can just paint into the seams and such, and use to carve the bigger details. (bondo is undeniably out of the question as it is.)

I haz Recon too! lol. Well anyway, I think this build is pretty cool cause your combining aspects from different games. Please update soon with more pics as this is a pretty unique build ;)

I haz Recon too! lol. Well anyway, I think this build is pretty cool cause your combining aspects from different games. Please update soon with more pics as this is a pretty unique build ;)

Thanks! I'm still working out the finer details... Logo stencils, paint design (Black and whites a given... just not sure on placement), THE GOD FORSAKEN LONG-FALL BOOTS THAT ARE STILL DRIVING ME INSANE!!!!! The usual... lol

Helmet looks great :)

Helmet looks BETTER! :D

Got a bunch of work done using plaster to fill in the really bad spots. Gonna seal over with a few layers of PVA glue and then hopfully get some painting done SOON!!! lol

b4e19ea2.jpg

7c66c44f.jpg

d6f18eb9.jpg

54f5df44.jpg

40ff13ad.jpg

a12d9692.jpg

Entire armor looks great!

Quick n00b question: I am really stuck on how to make templates/ cut foam armor, post a quick tut?

Thanks! And honestly, I have no idea how to make templates... most of my suit has foam templates available for download... somewhere around here. Just use the search bar. Also, if you go into the Stickies on the main forum pages, there will be tut's there. Sorry! I'm still fairly noobish at this myself! lol
What I'm doing right now is really no different from what every (better) foam builder has done before me... If you want some examples of the perfect build, I would recommend checking out drack's foam build here.

When I get to the parts where I start introducing the Aperture Science Tech, then I'll try to post tut's of how I did what, but until then, this is as basic as they come. lol

Hey Zo,
Looking good. Lovin' the title change, almost seems like the sort of thing Aperture Science would name something, although they'd probably end up with some sort of catchy anagram :p then again, ASAMC, kinda catchy.
The helmet looks a little squashed on its right side after the putty, or the left side looks a little pushed out(?), after the putty job, it looks great. Although, I've gotta ask what the four holes in the front of it are for, or are they just holes in the putty?

With the long boots, why not bend a piece of metal, or something similar, and attach it to the back of your shin using a hinge or spring/something elastic and attach the other end to the back of your boot? I'll try and draw a pic of what I mean and post it tomorrow.

Keep up the great work and keep us posted. Squish.

Hey Zo,
Looking good. Lovin' the title change, almost seems like the sort of thing Aperture Science would name something, although they'd probably end up with some sort of catchy anagram :p then again, ASAMC, kinda catchy.
The helmet looks a little squashed on its right side after the putty, or the left side looks a little pushed out(?), after the putty job, it looks great. Although, I've gotta ask what the four holes in the front of it are for, or are they just holes in the putty?

With the long boots, why not bend a piece of metal, or something similar, and attach it to the back of your shin using a hinge or spring/something elastic and attach the other end to the back of your boot? I'll try and draw a pic of what I mean and post it tomorrow.

Keep up the great work and keep us posted. Squish.

"Aperture Science Alternative Master Chief" XD LMAO

If you look back on the last page, the left side actually has an add-on type spot. I just made a flattened-out/extended bit for hardware mounting, then used the plaster to give it the AS smooth/seamless look.

The holes are for a little something I like to call Oxygen. lmao.

And yeah, that would be awesome! I PROBABLY wont be able to get a hold of all the materials necessary, but any help is appreciated.

Small little update... I got paint! The white at least... So expect to see some REAL progress in the next few days! :)

Hey guys! Small little update here to let you all know I'm not dead... I've almost finished priming the suit, but after that... I'm kinda going on a bit of a hiatius. I'm NOT giving up on my build, just... Some financial issues going on, plus I'm about to start back at school. Short term though, I will NOT be ready by Dragon*Con. I was hoping I could pull out all the stops and make it, but I see now it's not to be. :(
I'm still going, just not in costume... Might pick up a few things while there an do a cheap, on-site costume build of some sort. That's yet to be determined. At any rate. I'm not gonna be rushing as much anymore, so you can expect me to do a better job in the long run. :)

That's all for now, and I'll deff have a real update for y'all at some point after D*Con.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back