A Spoonful of Blamite Helps the Ownage Go Down!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got these on order!
https://www.inventables.com/technologies/pink-passion-fruit-acrylic-sheet
https://www.inventables.com/technologies/fluorescent-pink-acrylic-sheet

They are already pink, and the fluorescent one looks promising for lighting. Right now I'm experimenting with different methods, so I also have pink LEDs on order. I will also be taking a dremel to one of each of the completed needles to see what effects I can get with grinding them down. Molding will be my last resort, as it's a bit more pricey than a 1-10$ slab of acrylic, but I've seen some really cool looking molded needles, so I may end up trying out Hyokenseisou's idea.

I wouldn't try paint for this application, I'd tend to agree that paint sounds like a bad idea.

My pink lights came in, so we did some testing and farting around with the sex change.

needler25.jpg

needler26.jpg

They look okay, not as bright as I was hoping, but they're pink!

It's a girl! Also, it's more pink in real life, my camera is just crappo.
needler27.jpg

Testing the two different methods of backing the acrylic. I am disputed on these. Different pictures depict the reach needles differently. Sometimes it looks chipped and uneven, with the webbing coming from the randomly cut angles, others have the webbing coming from energy flowing inside it, and the needles more as really long pyramids. If I could get my hands on the official 3d model, I could just print the darn thing out and go from there!
needler28.jpg

Meanwhile, I got to put in a bit of time fixing up the body, repairing some differences between Satchmo's great model, and the game's official model. His work is great, I am just messing around with it for a more game accurate look. Also managed to re-attach the vents on the top of the gun, and am preparing the stock for the ribbing cuts on its top
needler29.jpg

The plan for the next week is to build up a wood skeleton inside the main body and then fill it in, so as to fill the inside (lightweight style) for the silicone mold so it doesn't get stuck on all the internal details, and continue smoothing out the shells to hopefully do some vacuum forming trials next week. But juggling the needler, mk5b, and final exam prep will be a bit of a lagger, so we'll see. For the needles I'm going to try the fluorescent acrylic soon, and messing with some various ways to improve the lighting.

thanks for taking my ideas into consideration and the needles look really nice
just a thought though if the leds run on a battery (or batteries) maybe have a panel in the back to swap them out instead of taking the whole gun apart.
also the gun looks great too good luck (both on the gun and the exams)

Testing the two different methods of backing the acrylic. I am disputed on these. Different pictures depict the reach needles differently. Sometimes it looks chipped and uneven, with the webbing coming from the randomly cut angles, others have the webbing coming from energy flowing inside it, and the needles more as really long pyramids. If I could get my hands on the official 3d model, I could just print the darn thing out and go from there!
needler28.jpg
I might be able to help you there, Do you have 3d Modelling software or IF I manage to find it would you like it broken down?

It's looking freking AWESOME by the way, I'm inspired by your ingenuity...
Unfortunately It is currently not poss to rip from reach, not publicly at any rate, although why these people keep it all to themselves is a mystery... Halo 3 needler is the best i can find, and frankly your needles look better that the models.
Sorry.

Thanks guys! Hopefully when the school year starts up, I'll have more free time (weird, right? But a full time job that doesn't get out until 7pm means I get like 30 minutes of working time before it's too late to use power tools)

As for the modeling, I actually made a 3d model to print out, I just haven't had the time to do it! Thank you for the offer though, I appreciate it!

Wow! Katsu, that is amazing! If you could get the needles to insert back into the gun, as you pull the trigger, that would freaking be... be... BOSS.

Good luck dude!!

Very nice looking needler build, I'm getting ready to start one for my wife. Can't wait to see more progress on this, definitely subbing to this one. :cool

Starting this up again, I took the liberty of removing the thing's tongue!

For now I only have pictures of the replacement piece:

needler3d00.jpg

The printout of the ball (the garbage dangling out is the "raft", I hadn't carved it out yet):
needler3d01.jpg

The tongue and the ball (vertical strut still printing)
needler3d02.jpg

Test fitting the small mating area I created:
needler3d03.jpg

Resting it on top of the half of the original pepakura tongue, so you can see the difference in the models:
needler3d04.jpg

This is no slight to satchmo, I don't think I would have had the patience to pep a complicated piece like this, and the tongue needed to be removed so I could chop the gun in half for a more efficient mold.

I had a potential idea for the needles falling in to the gun effect. What if you had some kind of setup where you pulled the trigger, it pulled some plate that the frontmost needles were sitting on with would cause the to sink in to the gun. Then perhaps you could shake the gun to "Reload it" which would cause the needles to pop back up.
needleexplanation.png

Hopefully that makes sense.. :p

Love it.
When my son gets home tomorrow from school I will have to show it to him. He loves the needle guns.
Awesome work so far. Can't wait to see how this one turns out in the end.
+1 for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back