AutoDesk 123D

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkshane81

Sr Member
I'm placing this in the 3d modelling section since it pertains to modelling software. rundown, if this needs moved to a different section, please do so.

Has anyone heard of Autodesk's family of software called 123D? It is free software to create, slice, print (2d and 3d), and sculpt your own 3d models. Available on various platforms; Windows, Mac, iPhone & iPad.

http://www.123dapp.com/make

I haven't had a chance to download any of them as of yet, but thought it might be of some use to a few people around here.

-Matt

That looks fantastic. I'm going to give it a try. I know where I can get a LOT of cardboard for free. This will be a great base for statues.

I'm trying out 123d when I have free time. I've mainly just messed around with it a bit but nothing in depth. I usually model in 3ds Max and Rhino so i'm a little bit rusty with the type of workflow involved with 123d. but it does look promising.

I'm trying out 123d when I have free time. I've mainly just messed around with it a bit but nothing in depth. I usually model in 3ds Max and Rhino so i'm a little bit rusty with the type of workflow involved with 123d. but it does look promising.

That looks fantastic. I'm going to give it a try. I know where I can get a LOT of cardboard for free. This will be a great base for statues.

Did you guys find out if this is a decent app? Been looking for a "pepakura for Mac".

What's more useful is 123D catch - it's a cheap way to scan yourself. If you have a 3D app, you can scale armor pieces to fit your own body and export them in OBJ format into Pepakura Designer. You only need a digital camera and lots of photos...

Autodesk 123D Create is the one I'm including in my creation pipeling but make sure you include a ruler to the reference pictures so you can scale the end model in your favorite software. I agree that this one is useful but thus far and attempts at using it to scan the human head has had extremely odd results that are not useful. It may be my camera or it might be that holding yourself still is never perfect. I'm trying another approach and will post a tutorial for it when I see success. It contains several processes in one.

I have tried this software too. I scanned a 22mm Games workshop Space wolf and it turned out better than I expected. It only rendered a loz res poly but it was enough to give me a basic structure to start with.

Graned it was a 22mm mini but the results were prety amazing.

I was also at an Mini Maker Faire here in orlando and saw some of the 3d printing that can be done and with very little touch up this could be a pretty cool way to scan and manufacture even the smallest parts for costumes.

Check out the basic results:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150575964757599.394490.500452598&type=3&l=00f7350254

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back