Hugh's Mass Effect II N7 Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
how did you tranfser the file from maya to pepakura? i use maya at school but then again im still learning.

WOW. Hugh, this is amazing! i wish i was that good with foam working! i think i might be tackling this one after my odst (i used your helmet, and it turned out fantasticly!)

Putting the pvc armature to the test right away this afternoon. Makes it easier than flipping the part over. I went ahead and added some holes for the belt strap to feed through, assembled the latches for those straps (which will be attached later), and installed the straps running over the shoulders.

One other thing that bugged me was the lower back area. It didn't follow the curvature of my back like it does on Shepard. So I did what any reasonable person would do and cut a 9 inch piece of metal, bent it into an S shape, and attached it. Sitting is overrated anyway. The metal bar is actual very light and easy to manipulate so it can be adjusted. It's also pretty easy to remove if I have an Oh God Why moment.

The First layer of sealer is down. This might get expensive...

ChestPaintI.jpg

This continues to look great Hugh, nice update buddy. I'm excited to see this thing finished.

-Matt

This build is gorgeous.
Am I correct in assuming the black pieces in your unpainted armor are the 3mm styrene? How do you get those calf/shin pieces on and off?

Thanks everyone!

@ Matt - Yeah I can't wait to get this one finished either.

@ Liiansa - Thanks. The black areas before the plasi-dip are actually 3mm craft foam. When I cut the initial part out, I went ahead and cut the parts that needed a black surface. Then layered the 3mm foam on those parts, and re-glued them so they were flush with the patterned surface.

@ DuffmasterFresh - lol thanks, it's not me it's the rum. honest

New Updates! Paint'n'stuff

CoverPhotoN7.jpg

First attempt at the N7 logo. Just colored construction paper covered with clear resin and then cut on the scroll saw into the properly sized rectangle.

WIP1L.jpg

Finally, a use for the super lame double sided tape I've had sitting around. This emblem was just a test to see if the size was correct. I'm working on a second draft with brighter colors to be permanently attached.

TestFitIV4.jpg

So for this weekend's To-Do's:

-Finish sealing the legs & shins then give them a base coat
-Install the belt connecting the upper legs to the chest core
-Create N7 emblems for the helmet
-Create a new visor for the helmet
-Figure out how to install the new LEDs I bought
-Paint the signature stripes down the arm
-Begin weathering all parts

Hello Hugh. I started making a N7 out of your files. You have done an amazing job with them. I have built everything except the helmet and here comes my question. I have made the straps on the legs with polyamide straps and i haven't used any buckles on them. I have glued them tight around my leg. The piece doesn't more around, it just slides right down my leg. Like you I still haven't put the belt on. I am wondering what to use for the circles that the belt goes through. So are yours sliding down as well?

I apologize for the double post, I had some trouble with my internet and i was clicking reply a couple of times till i got some result. Best i can do is edit the message and apologize

Funny that I stumbled across a picture on the interwebs of your armor awhile back and thought, "That's the best looking/fitting Mass Effect armor I've seen". It wasn't until today that I found your build here, excellent work!

New Update!

First off, thanks everyone!

Hello Hugh. I started making a N7 out of your files. You have done an amazing job with them. I have built everything except the helmet and here comes my question. I have made the straps on the legs with polyamide straps and i haven't used any buckles on them. I have glued them tight around my leg. The piece doesn't more around, it just slides right down my leg. Like you I still haven't put the belt on. I am wondering what to use for the circles that the belt goes through. So are yours sliding down as well?

Make sure you are test fitting with whatever under suit you plan on wearing first of all. If they are still sliding around over the neoprene or lycra then try spraying a small coat of plasti-dip rubber on the inside of the leg, that worked for me.

Funny that I stumbled across a picture on the interwebs of your armor awhile back and thought, "That's the best looking/fitting Mass Effect armor I've seen". It wasn't until today that I found your build here, excellent work!

Thanks! There are a lot of great builds out there that haven't posted their work yet that are much better than mine IMO

Large image incoming...

411955_335353763217198_1153218571_o.jpg

So here is where we're at with this. Forgive the battle rifle, I needed to see how mobile I was while holding a weapon. In the meantime I have a very nice Mattock kit on the way. Currently I am still looking for a good cheap pair of boots to sacrifice for this project. Other than that the costume is finished build-wise. I was able to go back and build the elbows and hand plates. The initial painting is done. Weathering will be next. Then the lights. I have some very nice LED strips which I need to plan to install so that should be fun. Oh, and I forgot to mention the visor - it was cut out of plexiglas and heat formed by hand over a foam buck. Then tinted with VHT niteshades.

Thanks everyone!

Here is somewhat of an update on the project/s:

So while also working on another 3D rifle, along with the two costumes I need to get done, I have slowly been working on developing this little guy.

The model was sculpted in ZBrush and broken down into several parts. Each part is a Dynamesh 3D object. I plan on laying them out as a sheet and combining them together with smaller dynamesh cylinders - forming a layout similar to a model kit.

M3_Sheet_1_by_AxiomUltra_low.jpg

So, hopefully that will all work out. I have ordered one of Zander's AMAZING Mattock kits, bought all of the painting supplies, and am anxiously waiting to get started on that.

The N7 Armor is halfway sealed and ready for painting. Not much to show on that front. I will be uploading images of everything once I get the new ear parts installed on the helmet. Speaking of which..

I sculpted (the biggest breath mints in the world) as one friend said and had them printed up.

411770_312022118883696_1732502393_o.jpg

The price was good and the quality was better than expected. I had to sand everything down before casting the parts but everything came together perfectly.

I have also had to start on the Ashley armor for my girlfriend. All of the patterns are unfolded and ready to go. We actually got the arms finished in a couple hours. Pics on that are coming as well once we can do a test fit.

467063_10150970899332193_785410127_o.jpg

Thanks all!

Thats brilliant work there mate. I hope i can get enough experience and quality work like that someday.

O_O Hugh you have done it again! This... this masterpiece is like staring at the intensity of a thousand hot white suns! This should be put in the Smithsonian and praised for all its Glory! Thank you for bringing this work of art to life Hugh!

I am going to be starting on my own set of N7 armor soon is there any way you could PM me with some tips and maybe where to start? when I look at your work it is a little over whelming because you sir are AmazinG!!

Hugh, how mobile are you in the suit? I am having trouble with the thighs again *sigh*. To be precise the area between the upper and lower thigh that looks like rubber. I'll either separate the two parts or glue a black cloth piece to hold them together(im afraid that the lower part will start to fall again, if i leave it on its own)
I am going to be starting on my own set of N7 armor soon is there any way you could PM me with some tips and maybe where to start?
I also work with his files and i can guarantee its very easy to build and understand. Its my first build so I started with the shoulders then the arms(the dreaded thing took 4 remakes till I was satisfied and experienced enough) Definitely leave the helm for last. It has alot of pieces. Also the boots gave me a lot of trouble. Apparently my legs are not built for such things. When i first made them with the scale i used for the other parts I was off with 10 centimeters in height. The kneecap was in place but the shin was too wide and the back part too high. So I made them with correct height. They fit me but now the top of the kneecap is right under my actual knee >< I thank mother nature for that. Also if you want to keep the boots accurate to the model and not cut them in half like mister Hugh did consider adding a zipper on the back like an actual boot.

I made them from EVA aswell, but not like in the pep file. They have less detail than Hugh's casted ones, but they get the job done

I just wish i knew what he sculpted them out of. They look like furnture casters. How much EVA do you think it wold take for the whole suit not counting pieces out of craft foam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back