i have been a huge halo fan for about the past 4 years, when i found out about the ability to make halo armor i lost several nights worth of sleep, went mad trying to find the pepakura program, and then finally lost it looking for the EOD file. after finding this website i was finally able to get started.
the pepakura stage was by far the most difficult. i dont know if this was simply a reflection of my lack of pep skills or if this was just a hard helmet. im talking about the face to be more specific. there is a great deal of detail in this little area and it is made up of around 25 pieces. the problem is if you dont bend a certain piece just right it screws up all the other pieces around it. i know that applies to all pepakura projects but the mistakes here kind of amplify into a horrible unfix-able problem. i had to do this part about three times before i got it to look acceptable. it is just a hard build to be honest but it was still a great deal of fun due to the fact that i love a challenge. and at the end my hands were completely coated in super glue. i looked like i had just eaten about 1 million doughnuts.
Fiber Glass stage:
this is probably were i made my biggest mistake, i completely skipped the prep stage. a few tongue depressors and some tape would have done marvels but i completely forgot. aside from that blunder i did do a few note worthy things. i got a hold on some special resin that has fiber glass particles in it already so it can be used as a filler. this proved extremely helpful in my problem areas because it gave me about a centimeter of depth to work with. now when i start sanding i don't have to worry about sanding all the way through.
as you can see in this picture the nose came out horribly. its going to take a lot of work to repair it. the good news is that the rest of the helmet came out great. and no, my eyes dont always look like that.
all of those slight mistakes mentioned earlier are really beginning to take their toll. this stage has proved to be both hard and tedious, but it is coming out really good none the less (in personal opinion) im really taking my time on this stage and im adding a lot of extra details to make this thing one of kind.
if anyone has any tips on how to sand oddly shaped areas or adding detail please let me know. the nose of this helmet is going to take a lot of time and effort and if any of you could reduce that i would be extremely grateful. i will keep you all posted as to how this turns out. i plan on putting in another 24 hours this weekend.