Props Making glossy paint matte?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ummi60

Jr Member
Hi. I'm making an M14 replice out of a chinese air rifle (got it real cheap). I want to paint a camo of green and black onto it, I have matte dark green (actually primer but I'm sure it'l work just as well.) but I have a can of glossy black paint. The deal is that glossy black with matte green would just look silly. So I'm asking for help. How can I turn glossy black paint to matte? I did think about sanding it, but then it woulden't be that even. I have also heard that using a cloth that is moist with a little bit of paint thinner works, but I dunno. can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance.
Urmo
Greetings from Estonia

I haven't tried this myself but it's something I was told by different people works. Get a can of clear matte coating, it should make everything less shiny and as a bonus protect the paint

Find a matte clear coat? I'm really not sure if there is a way to make gloss look like matte without spraying it with something else.

As everyone has said, the easiest way is to hit your gloss paint with a dull coat. However, if you can't afford to get a can of flat black, then the chances are that you can't afford to buy a can of dull coat either. What MIGHT work is to take some steel wool or some kind of light abrasive material to the gloss paint after it has dried overnight. I would test this on something first though. In any case good luck and keep us updated on your solution.

I've used a matte clear coat before on a metallic red color and this is how it turned out.

suits.jpg

I found the paint at Home Depot.

As everyone has said, the easiest way is to hit your gloss paint with a dull coat. However, if you can't afford to get a can of flat black, then the chances are that you can't afford to buy a can of dull coat either. What MIGHT work is to take some steel wool or some kind of light abrasive material to the gloss paint after it has dried overnight. I would test this on something first though. In any case good luck and keep us updated on your solution.

This SHOULD give you good, consistent results. Another option is to mist on the black paint from a distance--half a meter maybe, so that it goes on dry. For gloss paint to make a shiny finish, it has to flow by being applied wet enough for the paint to organize into a smooth surface before drying. If you accidentally apply too much at once and get a shiny spot, come back later and mist over it. It never hurts for the surface to be rough before you paint it either. If you can get a favor from a local machine shop to give your parts a quick sandblast, that will help you get a more 'military' finish.

Redshirt

What I've done in the past to solve this problem is to spray paint a matte grey over whatever gloss color I'm using. It does however darken lighter colors quite a bit, but should work fine for black or dark green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back