Summer Project: Mark 6 Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! My name is Christine, but you can call me Chris or Wolf!

I'm at the end of my Sophomore year with only a few more days till the Summer officially begins. Seeing how the Summer is beginning shortly, I really would like to have a project to work on so I'm not sitting around bored.

I've never attempted anything like this before, I've looked into it for months and I honestly feel like I'm still a big noob. So any suggestions or advice people can lend me will be well appreciated, I'd like to do this with as few faults and problems as possible.

This is the file that I was hoping to use:
pepfilemark6.png

But I'm not quite sure how to size things for my height or if that's required for just a helmet alone. I've done my best to look into tutorials and successful builds, but I'm definitely up for all the help I can get!

Thanks for reading!

The file you have chosen is the most popular file i've seen around here, and the most high-quality. I wish you luck on your build and summer is by far the vest time for build; always sunny and good works days. happy building!

This is a popular file that most members use if they're looking for a higher detailed file.
I've made two helmets using this file and I have no complaints about the detail!

If you don't want any faults in sizing and whatnot, I would start off with a lower def practice helmet. That way, you can get the sizing down and know what will fit you and what won't.
Don't worry about the opening to the helmet and trying to get your head through. All members who have made this helmet know that it's practically required to trim the opening so they can get their head through without scraping their ears. In the pep stage, it's easy to get your head through because the paper is flexible. but once the cardstock has been hardened and rigid, you won't be able to get your head through till after trimming. So it is essential to get the sizing right ahead of time.

To size for the helmet, you have to measure from the bottom of your chin, to the highest point of your head. Be sure when you measure this, that you measure straight up and down and not in a diagonal line or the sizing will be all wrong. Also be sure when you measure to give the measurement one or two more centimeters for added room for padding and other add-ons that you may apply to your helmet.

Good luck on your project and welcome to the forums! :D
I can't wait to see what will come of this!
Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

-Alexis

I know there's a thread that talks about a way to size it. I'll if I can find it for you.

Thank you, very well appreciated!

The file you have chosen is the most popular file i've seen around here, and the most high-quality. I wish you luck on your build and summer is by far the vest time for build; always sunny and good works days. happy building!

I'm glad to know this! I thought it was the right helmet but I had wanted to make sure before setting my sights on it. Thank you for the good luck!

This is a popular file that most members use if they're looking for a higher detailed file.
I've made two helmets using this file and I have no complaints about the detail!

If you don't want any faults in sizing and whatnot, I would start off with a lower def practice helmet. That way, you can get the sizing down and know what will fit you and what won't.
Don't worry about the opening to the helmet and trying to get your head through. All members who have made this helmet know that it's practically required to trim the opening so they can get their head through without scraping their ears. In the pep stage, it's easy to get your head through because the paper is flexible. but once the cardstock has been hardened and rigid, you won't be able to get your head through till after trimming. So it is essential to get the sizing right ahead of time.

To size for the helmet, you have to measure from the bottom of your chin, to the highest point of your head. Be sure when you measure this, that you measure straight up and down and not in a diagonal line or the sizing will be all wrong. Also be sure when you measure to give the measurement one or two more centimeters for added room for padding and other add-ons that you may apply to your helmet.

Good luck on your project and welcome to the forums! :D
I can't wait to see what will come of this!
Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

-Alexis

Thank you very much Alexis! Very much appreciated, this is just one of those things that I've always wanted to do and I'm tired of just wishing and want to get my hands dirty and make it! I warn you now that I may send you a private message in the near future, but I'll do my best to keep it to this thread.

Thank you all again!

Nice choice for the helmet. Sizing is very important in making armour, so it looks like you have a nice guide.
Once you finish assembling your helmet, you'll want to look through the hardening tutorials all over this website.
If you have any questions, send me a PM and I'll be more than happy to help you out!

Nice choice for the helmet. Sizing is very important in making armour, so it looks like you have a nice guide.
Once you finish assembling your helmet, you'll want to look through the hardening tutorials all over this website.
If you have any questions, send me a PM and I'll be more than happy to help you out!

Thank you for the advice! And for the offer as well!

Looks like you got the file opened in Pepakura viewer 3, you may want to open it in Pepakura Designer 3 to make you scaleing adjustments, I don't think that Viewer allows you to change the scale, but I may be wrong, anyways good luck hope to see your build soon

Looks like you got the file opened in Pepakura viewer 3, you may want to open it in Pepakura Designer 3 to make you scaleing adjustments, I don't think that Viewer allows you to change the scale, but I may be wrong, anyways good luck hope to see your build soon

I actually found that out the hard way last night. xD But thank you for letting me know! That's definitely something I plan on doing today.

Edit: I apologize for the stupid questions right off the bat, but I've always been horrible at any kind of math so I want to make sure I've got my numbers right.

I measured my head with a ruler and I got 8 3/8 inches (from chin to top of head), so after calculation I got 212.725 mm which would round up to 213 mm. When I attempted width I got 149.225 mm which would round down to 149 mm.

This is including two inches for space. Do these numbers sound like they're generally in the right ball park?

Apologies for the long disappearance and the double post. I've been unexpectedly busy and have had a lot more than expected to deal with this summer.

But I don't want to give up this dream, so I want to post my progress.

Right Side:
DSC00855.jpg

Left Side:
DSC00856.jpg

Nose:
Progress2.jpg

The one part that gave me the most agony was the back of the helmet.. The lines are not nearly as nice as the rest of my work, I'm hoping to fix the details later on.

Back of Helmet:
DSC00857.jpg

Any critiques or advice would be well appreciated. I'm slowly running across errors, such as for some reason using craft glue versus hot glue. I'm hoping that hot gluing over the flaps will correct my error, maybe..? That and I'm worried about resining for the first time, I'd love any tips or tricks to keep the helmet from warping or getting ruined.

It's coming along nicely! :) I use hotglue for my pepakura because it sets almost instantly because I'm very impatient and it's durable lol

If you're going to resin for your first time, remember your safety gear! (gloves, respirator, etc) You'll want to do a light coat on the outside of the helmet to get it alittle tougher, the inside you can apply a thicker coat because it won't be visible. Just be gentle and take your time and your helmet will come out nicely :)

It's coming along nicely! :) I use hotglue for my pepakura because it sets almost instantly because I'm very impatient and it's durable lol

If you're going to resin for your first time, remember your safety gear! (gloves, respirator, etc) You'll want to do a light coat on the outside of the helmet to get it alittle tougher, the inside you can apply a thicker coat because it won't be visible. Just be gentle and take your time and your helmet will come out nicely :)

I wasn't sure if using a craft glue would ruin things later on though? Like if the resin would kind of destroy it, something along those lines. xD

And thank you! I'm glad to be posting on here again, I missed the nice community. =]

I wasn't sure if using a craft glue would ruin things later on though? Like if the resin would kind of destroy it, something along those lines. xD

And thank you! I'm glad to be posting on here again, I missed the nice community. =]

I don't really have experience with the craft glue vs resin but you shouldn't have a problem since many people use the same thing as you.

As somebody who is also using their spare time this summer for their first venture into this kind of thing (though I am building a Mark V), very nice work.

However, I recommend not using hot glue. After putting together my test helmet yesterday (to check scaling and practice gluing) I found that the hot glue dried to fast for me to be able to put the pieces in the right spot properly most of time and burned the hell out of my fingers every time I tried to seal a flap at an awkward angle. It was also difficult to glue some of the more difficult pieces because of the 'gun' nature of the tool. Lastly, it does leave bubbles, trails and string as a general rule. Overall my helmet came together well, but as well as being too small (fixing that...) it's a bit messy in some places due to my choice of using hot glue. I'm switching to PVA today on the recommendation of several folks I've spoken to, and may use super-glue as well for some tricky spots. Hopefully the relatively slow-drying nature of PVA will allow me more control over the build.

Your work looks great, but I thought I'd give you a little advice from someone who is literally fresh out of their first helmet building experience.

As somebody who is also using their spare time this summer for their first venture into this kind of thing (though I am building a Mark V), very nice work.

However, I recommend not using hot glue. After putting together my test helmet yesterday (to check scaling and practice gluing) I found that the hot glue dried to fast for me to be able to put the pieces in the right spot properly most of time and burned the hell out of my fingers every time I tried to seal a flap at an awkward angle. It was also difficult to glue some of the more difficult pieces because of the 'gun' nature of the tool. Lastly, it does leave bubbles, trails and string as a general rule. Overall my helmet came together well, but as well as being too small (fixing that...) it's a bit messy in some places due to my choice of using hot glue. I'm switching to PVA today on the recommendation of several folks I've spoken to, and may use super-glue as well for some tricky spots. Hopefully the relatively slow-drying nature of PVA will allow me more control over the build.

Your work looks great, but I thought I'd give you a little advice from someone who is literally fresh out of their first helmet building experience.

Honestly at first I just kind of blindly used the craft glue.. But then I was afraid something might happen with the chemicals and so on.. But I really hoped I didn't need hot glue because of the burning lol. I always burn myself badly with it whenever I use it. Thank you very much. =]

looks great so far

Thanks!

I used white glue ( tacky glue ) for all my pep helmet and I haven't have any problem with it. The helmet looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back