First Build: ODST Foam Build WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCorporal101

Hey guys, I started making my armor a few weeks ago. I'm trying to get it completed for Supercon 2012. I started to make the armor out of papercraft original, but it took long and I didn't like that method. So I thought foam would be something more reasonable and it seems to be more durable. Anyway, I'll start posting pictures now

img5369w.jpg

img5366cj.jpg

img5362gc.jpg

I don't particularly like the way this piece turned out :C but I'm time constrained, so I won't remake it unless there's actually time:

img5359b.jpg

img5357o.jpg

More to come, I work on the armor as often as I can. :D Any questions, comments, criticisms? I'd love to hear it all.

what you have going for your torso parts looks really good, and i honestly can't see whats wrong with the shoulder... if i might make a suggestion, keep the pepakura/resin/rondo idea for the helmet... i havent been entirely impressed with most of the foam helmets i've seen come out of here... dont get me wrong, some of them look fantastic, but i always preferred the pep helmet's final look more. anywho, it looks great so far! come see my build!

looking good there! i will agree with lambright on keeping your helmet a pep! it definitely makes a better looking helmet! yes there are some good foam helmets out there, but because of the curves and odd angles, alot of them come out funky. i find it easier just do do a pep helmet and finish it that way! your foam looks really clean and sharp! i would suggest sanding down the edges, and the rough spots, makes a clean look. also use plasti-dip to seal up the armor, it seals up the foam and doesnt let paint seep into the suite, and it gives the piece a nice look and texture, and hides, in my opinion, some of the finer cut lines of the armor. keep us updated and good work!

Yeah guys, I forgot to mention that I will be doing the pep method for the helmet. Thanks for the comments, right now I'm working on the Thighs and I'm going to try to get them completed before I go to bed tomorrow. :D

MASSIVE UPDATE!!

So after a long time of inactivity on this post, I've finally gotten to a point where I can take and upload more pictures of progress! After a brief, shameful period of slow going, I finally got some work done!! So for the armor, I've decided that I'm going to go with a desert-esque paint scheme, similar to the chief in this picture:

BrigadeDamaged-800.jpg

First up is my chest piece, it needs a few more coats of paint and some extra color:

tumblr_m60c592GJa1rwr1oao2_r1_1280.jpg

Next is the thigh pieces, I need to attach the inner... shingle-y part on both after painting:

tumblr_m60c592GJa1rwr1oao3_r1_1280.jpg

Next after the Thighs is the belt buckle and cod piece:

tumblr_m60c592GJa1rwr1oao4_r1_1280.jpg

Following that is the ab piece and the two side pieces; both of which are too small. Considering I don't have much more time to complete this, I'm just gonna have to accept it:

tumblr_m60c592GJa1rwr1oao5_r1_500.jpg

After that is the forearm(s), which I'm 50/50 on. On the one hand, they have all this extra texture that shouldn't be there, but on the other hand, I still think that they're pretty cool:

tumblr_m60c592GJa1rwr1oao6_r1_1280.jpg

After that are the side pieces:

tumblr_m60c592GJa1rwr1oao7_r1_1280.jpg

Next is the Shoulder pieces, gotta add some more color:

tumblr_m60c592GJa1rwr1oao8_r1_1280.jpg

Following that is the butt pack:

tumblr_m60c592GJa1rwr1oao9_r1_1280.jpg

After that is the Shins, ran out of paint while painting the one on the right, so tomorrow, I'll have more painted. :D

tumblr_m60c592GJa1rwr1oao10_r1_1280.jpg

And last but not least is the obligatory mirror photo, my friend just so happened to slide into the shot:

tumblr_m60c592GJa1rwr1oao1_r1_1280.jpg

Let me know what you guys think! I'd love to hear comments and opinions!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great so far! Being a Arizona desert rat, I am digging the color scheme you chose and I look forward to seeing it all together after detailing.

I know it's been more than half a year now since Supercon (which this armor was made for,) and I've been meaning to post the completed pictures for a long time, but I've been busy. When I first got to the con with the armor on, I realized a few things:
  1. Many, many people don't know what an ODST is.
  2. I completely underestimated how hot this stuff could really get.
  3. Stuffing is really a very poor way to fill your helmet for fitting.
  4. Scaling is REALLY important

I wish that I had time to make a weapon to compliment this. I also realized how having a weapon is at the very least important for posing for pictures. Around the time I walked up, people started asking for pictures, which was super awesome to me, but my first picture made me really get a little bit of anxiety because it had truly dawned on me that I hadn't actually thought of what I would do when asked for pictures. So I just sort of winged it and by the end of the convention, I had about 3 to 4 poses that I'd cycle through, this one happened to be my favorite of all the poses I'd done:

55711347521546584032837.jpg

This next picture is one of my earlier poses from the convention and it was also one that I'd relied on heavily:

54741610150978804718512.jpg

I entered Supercon's costume contest and so when it came around, I sorta panicked because I had no idea what I was doing. The people who were in line in front of me (who were REALLY awesome people) told me that I should just try to get the audience to laugh or something since I didn't have a weapon and couldn't really do anything bad ass. I took their advice and when I walked onto stage (after being called Master Chief by the judges,) I decided that I'd start doing "victory squats" and waving my arms in the air, resulting in this picture:

16598410151155451621387.jpg

By the end of the weekend, I went home happy, but most of my armor was in a very deteriorated condition. I have yet to fix any of it or even really touch it since the convention, but I still love it. I really wish that I would have scaled the armor 'cause when I look at pictures I see that it really needed to be scaled a bit. Anyway, hope you guys enjoy looking at this as much as I did wearing it and stuff. There were lots of pictures taken at the convention, but only a small fraction of them has actually surfaced on the internet.

If you guys have any questions or comments, feel free to post them, I'm always down to hear some input on my first set of armor EVER! :D

Hahahaha, I got a good laugh on that last picture XD

Looks pretty good. When I'm done with my Engineer suit, I'm planning on making an ODST suit (because ODST rule :3). Do you recommend foam? Or should I go with classic pepakura? I've been thinking foam....

I like the end product, though I must say that there are a few pieces missing on the belt, which makes it look... off. But I really like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back