Props Considering building a Focus Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! I've been looking into this as an idea of the next build. What I cam across however got me thinking. Apparently the Focus Rifle is '145.2 centimeters (57.2 inches) from end to end' - Waypoint site. Which seems somewhat excessive. But I'm not one to argue the point with alien weapons. Anyway. What do you guys think?

Also, I thought I might get this out there, given that I haven't seen anyone use this technique before. I was thinking about combining the use of clay and wood in weapon props, so I thought, why not just cut out a template of the gun, get the functional parts working how you want without the interruption of clay, set up some sort of skeleton system to save some money on the clay, and then go for it. On some sort of stand of course, preferably one that has an axis of rotation, in which you could sculpt the underside without assuming the 'awkward position'. The main reason for considering this is that the focus rifle (nor any of the covenant weapons) are industrial straight edge and angled guns, like much of the UNSC, but much more streamlined and 'flowy'. Anyway, just wanted everyone's thoughts on that as an idea.

Cheers, Dave.

thats the thing with the weapons. they have to be scaled just like the armor sometimes... take a pic of a spartan holdoing it, and i think you should scale it towards that... and if you're making it from clay are you going to mold it so it is exceptionally lighter? as for the moving parts, i dont think the focus rifle has that many... anywho, good luck with your build, it sounds like you have a solid plan!

Should be a straight-forward build. You might want to pull molds on this weapon if you are going for moving parts, since the barrel-shroud opens up and down, and there's a piece on the back almost like a vent that opens, not to mention lights and sounds :D

Pqquiddy and Andrew are right, your build may make a better candidate as a molding blank with the cast parts being considered as the final product rather than the sculpt. Wood and clay will be heavy and fragile despite allowing excellent detail. This was the path I took with the Splaser. While far from a trouble-free path, I'm now assembling light/strong fiberglass parts. If you can cast the parts separate, your overall level of detail will be better, even if you don't make them function. Definitely go for the big gun!

Redshirt

I think you should definitly just go for it. I might actually build one myself to go along with my new Halo 4 Railgun I've been building.

Okay guys! sorry for being away for so long! School once again got in the way and stopped everything I was planning on. Which it tends to do frequently. I've got a few other things to get moulded and out of the way before I have enough clay to be able to start sculpting (and yes moulding individual peices). But once I've got the all done and out of the way, be prepared good sirs. :).

Cheers, Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back