Iron Man Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Ok, so long story short I saw the Avengers, went back and watched the original movies, and hadnt seen Iron Man in a while and saw all his computer stuff and thought it was the coolest thing ever. So, my question is: is all this possible? As of now/in the near future. In the world of technology, the word "impossible" is nearly non existent. I'm sure a lot of you have seen the new Samsung Smart window
and the Samsung Ice Touch
(which isnt nearly as cool) Which makes me absolutely confident that the technology for the physical apsect of say, Tony Stark's Phone, for example, is quite possible. But that was the easy part...i'm droning...anyway, we all know something like repulsor rays or whatever wont be around for quite some time, and holograms are supposedly going to be pretty big in the 2020's. But none of that stuff is really what I'm here to ask, so I'll just get straight to it; Does the technology for something like J.A.R.V.I.S. exist? like conversation, commands, a sort of high intelligence and recognition, Basically JUST like in Iron Man (excluding the suit's controls, etc). Now, i've seen so many videos on things made to be like Jarvis, but wasnt quite satisfied with the voice or the robot-y siri kinda choppy voice. Well, I'm gonna wrap this up cause I'm sure it will take on a life of its own. Tanks Guys :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say yes is the answer to your question. I am no huge tech head or am going to pretend that I have the knowledge to truely back up my views but the evidence is there. I know Siri is not the most complex voice interactive software but it's a start. They now have a building block to improve on. Think of where TVs started out. Black and white and you had to manually tune them if you wanted to change channels. Now as you pointed out we have touch screen TVs on a window. Look at the development of any tech and we finally get where we are headed. If we wait I am sure apple have plans for Siri but they can't just one day go "here you are guys a full working app that you can talk to as if it were a person".

Just had a thought. If they some how manage to come up with the tech for images to be projected into the middle of the room (highly dought it will happen) then couple that with kinetic and you have the interface that tony has in his workshop too :)

Speaking of TVs, one other thing pertaining to this technology, is that someone has begun to make transparent TVs! But yeah, voice recognition has become so much better in just these past few years and I feel like Siri isn't as choppy as some AIs. And as for the holograms, I'm sure those will be along fairly soon as we all saw when they "brought tupac back to life" except I think that cost several million dollars...

We have the ability to create a command interface (siri is a good example of a basic overall/mass produced version of this), but a conversation interface is still a bit hard to come by. The main reason for this is the amount of programming behind it. A command platform (like siri) is designed to recognize and isolate the words you say in order to process the command and provide an answer. A conversation platform on the other hand needs to do this and give an educated input or opinion into how to best proceed or make further inquiry to narrow the possible choices.

An example of the differences between these two setups would be what would happen if you asked it for food. Take the line, "Find a restaurant" or "Nearest food joint" or even "I'm hungry".
If the siri like command program hears you correctly (not always guaranteed) and understands the meaning behind your words (which it may not in the case of "I'm hungry", I don't know I've never tried that one on siri) it will most likely provide you with the locations and names of major food places within a certain radius, and possibly a popularity rating for each. But that's where it stops until you give it another command.
Now take the same group of prompts and give them to the conversation program. If the J.A.R.V.I.S. like conversation program hears you correctly (not as big a problem for it as for siri but still not guaranteed) and understands the meaning behind your words correctly (sarcasm could throw early versions for a loop) it will most likely provide you with the locations and names of major food places within a certain radius, the popularity rating for each, and ask if you feel more like sushi or burgers tonight then alter the listed food joints accordingly based on your answer. It may even refuse to search for food places and mention how the doctor warned you off of eating unhealthy food.

That said, it is possible to make a J.A.R.V.I.S. like conversation based computer program. It would just take a lot of programming. J.A.R.V.I.S. is not just an advanced siri, it's on a whole different level. Siri is a voice activated and controlled search engine, J.A.R.V.I.S. it an electronic butler. It has to have all the goodies of siri and the programming to effectively comprehend, construct, articulate, and reply with a human language. If you had a program that could learn various things as it went, like what sarcasm is when it hears it or slang terms used by its handler, then this could make things easier in the long run.

Short answer, yes, we have the tech; it's just a lot of programming.

And Delta from Red vs. Blue is better than J.A.R.V.I.S. in my opinion.

Just reminded me on how behind I am on red vs blue... But back on topic, I had actually not thought of any of that and that's major part of it and at this point, this sort of thing has been taken out of my incapable hands but it's definitely good to know all this for when I have the money/resources (definitely soon)

to answer your question, yes, a majority of what you see in IRON MAN is at least in the development stages

iron man suit.......modern day equivalent= the military exoskeleton dubbed "iron man"- last heard/ funding was cut but im sure their still working on it somewhere

artificial intellegence (jarvis).........modern day equivalent= WATSON, the self learning AI tested in a game of jeopardy

advanced high explosives and self guided missles= everybody has seen them but we've yet to miniturize them

repulsor tech........modern day equivalent= basically jet fighter engines (enormous thrust in somewhat small dimensions)

arc reactor tech..........modern day equivalent= arc reactors are a work of fiction but nuclear fusion (both hot and cold) and fission are pretty dang close

part of what makes iron man so great is that most of what he is, is in the realm of possiblity. i think its what makes him such a believable character.

Wow, you have all hit the nail right on the head, I mean that's so right on. Everything you see about Iron man is (now at least) just that 1 step away from reality, and that Is actually something I really subconsciously enjoyed throughout all 3 movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back