Which Halo universe ships should be turned into scale models?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alix965

I was fishing around the internets, surfin' up and down and speedin' all over, killing time...ya know just mindin' mah business when somehow I dug up this image.
Halo+Banshee.JPG

There were also pics of a full size Falcon, and I remembered hearing McFarlane at one of the PAX or HaloFest panels saying that he wanted to do those big 'boutique type' ie expensive products but was uncertain about the market for them. I guess this much anticipated project didn't test well (is that right?) or whatever they call it in the industry because that was a couple of years ago and there hasn't been any new news about it.:-( I go to TRU(toys r us) and see dozens of Warthogs sitting silently on the shelves like old soldiers, awaiting pretend combat and hyper jumps, stoic in their unpurchasedness and I feel like the Indian in that pollution commercial.

So my question is this: if a fan favorite like the 'hog' can't catch a break what chance do Banshees and Falcons have at fanboy redemption? Moreover, what would become of a Finemolds Pelican or an MPC Heart of Midlothian? What about a Revell UNSC Frigate or a Covenant cruiser? Are we as a fanbase/target audience/market that finicky? If we could petition a model company and get ONE ship put into production, which one would beat the other out in terms of popularity? Sales?
Just asking.

thanks for reading.

First of all, petitions rarely solve anything.

And second, in terms of actual SHIPS, there isn't really much Halo has to offer. Covenant cruisers and the like are far too streamlined and minimalist to get any sort of enjoyable model. And the UNSC's ships are a bit too blocky to make building them any sort of challenge. You could scrap build them with just as good results probably.

Plus the sheer size of them, the molding necessary to get any sort of discernible detail in something that's a reasonable size would requite better quality than a Perfect Grade Gundam, making the price astronomical.

If we're talking vehicles, I could see it a bit more.

I built the Pillar of Autumn out of lego's twice. Plus there are many scale models people have built of spacecraft in Halo. I even saw that someone ( even on the 405th I think ) built a full size Banshee!

I built the Pillar of Autumn out of lego's twice. Plus there are many scale models people have built of spacecraft in Halo. I even saw that someone ( even on the 405th I think ) built a full size Banshee!
I believe that was Bevbor that built it, though I'm not entirely sure.
I myself had seriously considered building a 1:6 scaled Hornet. I Built a 1:9 scale Madcat from Mechwarrior, why not this?
Not only do you (or I at least) see a whole lot of diverse Revell model kits anymore, but they seem to have lost popularity in this day in age.
But some of the most badass scaled models I've ever seen were the 1:12 (?) scaled battle damaged Enterprise and Reliant from Star Trek. Those were awesome.
But yeah, either a 1:6 scaled Hornet or 1:6 scaled Scorpion (Halo: CE or Halo2 version) would be awesome.

I've been contemplating scratchbuilding a model of a UNSC frigate (much like the Savannah or the Grafton from Reach). I wouldn't mind seeing scale models of a frigate or cruiser, but like RadioactiveMicrobe mentioned, the detail/challenge wouldn't be the best. Still...

Should make something we all know like a marathon class cruiser or something.

Just my two cents. When I play Halo I really don't play attention to the space cruisers because they are not the focus of the game. So to your point, I don't think there are a lot of "fan-based" cruisers.

A toy company make toys based on several factors (being taken micro and macro-economics):
1- there is a demand for the toy
2- they don't make toys that will saturate the market. There are hogs around already. So the next course of action is to make toys that are not common.
3- the toy has to be easy to produce and it will not cause manufacturing headache (less parts the better)
4- it has to cost effective that it is affordable.

In other words, if there is not a lot of ROI, you won't see the McFarlane makes the toy. That's why we see alot of after markets and scratchbuilders.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was playing Halo 3 the other day and it amazed me that the Hornet didn't get more attention in the toy department. It's such a well engineered piece of imagination. I think the micro-ops line might include a Hornet but a 1/6th scale would indeed be awesome. But I fear the price tag on that much plastic would not.

It isn't a spacecraft, but it would be amazing to see a full (life sized) semi-working Drop Pod. What I mean by semi-working is that it couldn't survive a fall from the sky, but it would open up and be tricked out with accessories.

If you want to reed a cool idea look in the noob forum for Spraticus's Pelican RC thread. He's planning to make a fully funtional RC version of the Pelican.

My two cents... Seth

I would love to see/own a Halo 3 Pelican, oh lets say about the size of a 17" monitor (sorry, dont know what that scale would be). with working doors and movable landing gears and engine pods.

Chris

It isn't a spacecraft, but it would be amazing to see a full (life sized) semi-working Drop Pod. What I mean by semi-working is that it couldn't survive a fall from the sky, but it would open up and be tricked out with accessories.

If you want to reed a cool idea look in the noob forum for Spraticus's Pelican RC thread. He's planning to make a fully funtional RC version of the Pelican.

My two cents... Seth

You mean like this one.....
attachment.php?attachmentid=30299&stc=1&d=1344262563.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back