Props Gravity Hammer (Very Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaaaaah this is so awesome! Foam seems like the perfect material to use for the hammer. The better to whack people with :D

All the details look great!

Small update.

Got the supports inside the head to hold the handle in line and all the frosted windows made ready for when the rest of my LEDs turn up. I just shone a light in the head to see how they are.

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One week till tutorials :)

On a side note I have an update to keep things going. The Blade has not had its base coat done as I am still working on some details but should have them made tonight ready to seal it up and base coat it with the LEDs in.

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

Sweet paint job bud

Thank you man but to be honest that is just the base coat. I really want to get all the lighting done but can't until I have the whole thing painted and ready for assembly :(

Aaaaaah this is so awesome! Foam seems like the perfect material to use for the hammer. The better to whack people with :D

I was thinking that but for 3 problems I won't. 1. I don't want to hurt my baby as its been a tough build. 2. There are going to be LEDs in the bludgeon nubs so not wanting to damage the wiring. 3. I have actually wacked my wife on the head with it and she was not impressed as it hurts, that and she didn't like it when i tried to drag her off to my cave :p

this is seriously good! cant wait to see the finished piece, and the tutorials! by the way, are you gonna use real leather for the handle?

this is seriously good! cant wait to see the finished piece, and the tutorials! by the way, are you gonna use real leather for the handle?

I am seriously considering it I dont think it would be right making foam grips. I will see though as I have never worked with leather and not sure how to approach it. If I can't work it out I will just replicate it with foam I guess.

I am seriously considering it I dont think it would be right making foam grips. I will see though as I have never worked with leather and not sure how to approach it. If I can't work it out I will just replicate it with foam I guess.

I suggest sample pieces of Leather from Joanne's or Michael's. Easy to place and easy to cut.

So This is One of the best Produced HAMMERs out their. The detail In this is uncanny. Good work MatE.!

Thank you man glad you like it :)
It's been the most fun thing I have built so far. It should be my iron man suit but I got side tracked by my Masterchief build and this. I guess they are one in the same really.

Small update today.

Got the LEDs and base coat done on the blade. Please excuse the bad quality photo but the black base coat is very shiny. Once I have all the scratches and blood on it it won't reflect the light so much I hope.

IMG_1220.jpg

I have made the bits that join the end of the blade to the handle but they are in the workshop drying and am going to start the handle grip detailing this evening so hopefully will have an update on that in the next few days.

Your hammer's looking great so far! I wonder which of us will finish first! I literally just need to find something to use for the handle grips, but the only handle grips I'd be able to buy locally would be for tennis rackets, so it's going to have to be ebay for me =/
I take it you've decided to replicate the grip from foam... I hope that works well!

Edit: If I can find something like these Handlebar Grips but in brown, I might get some. I guess it'd even be possible to distress and colour those black grips to look right

Your hammer's looking great so far! I wonder which of us will finish first! I literally just need to find something to use for the handle grips, but the only handle grips I'd be able to buy locally would be for tennis rackets, so it's going to have to be ebay for me =/
I take it you've decided to replicate it from foam... I hope that works well!

Cheers dude. I think you'll finishing first cause I got a lot to do still. I still have all the LEDs left to install, heading to the elechtronics shop tomorrow to get some advice on how to get some of the LEDs pulsing.
I am also going to look into making the strapping with leather. I have never used it before but if I find I can't do it then I know how to replicate it with foam yes.
Because I am using foam the part that may take some time to acquire is the bit that comes out at the bottom of the handle. I thought of using wood but if the worst happened it could snap. Foam is to soft and bendy so I will be contacting a friend of mine how is an armourer to see if he can make it out of metal for me.

That part was a nightmare to bend without weakening it! I took a picture of when I attached it here, and it worked pretty well, although a square tube with no cutout would have been less prone to twisting.

Having used foam, you'll probably be safe from this, but when I accidentally bent the hand guard and it cracked the resined paper and paint. If you had two 90° bends rather than the two 45° bends I had, it would avoid stressing as much of the joining segment, so if your friend can make 90° bends without weakening the metal, I'd definitely recommend that (Or even a pair of 45° bends like mine, but with a 90° reinforcing strut).

I am going to get him to make the piece out of solid metal. He makes armour for battle reanactments for a living so I know it will have all the strength needed. Then I will cover it in foam to avoid it looking out of place. Thank you for the advice though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back