Props Gravity Hammer (Very Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy cow brother....absolutely phenomenal work. This will make a fine counterpart to your suit. Again, great job.

-Matt

Drack,
There are so few really good foam weapons out there. You've really taken the medium to the next level. It's been a really impressive rise for the pink hammer.

Redshirt

This is too beautiful. I've been trying to figure out how I was going to get back into this stuff after now over two years away from it and your unbelievable art has clearly shown me that foam would be the way to go. No crazy curing processes or any of that shebang. If it's not too personal, about how much is this whole prop setting you back in cash? Thanks for the inspiration to get back at it!!

Thanks for the great comments guys glad people are enjoying what I do.
Good to see that my hobby has inspired you to start buiding again Haven. Hopefully I will see a new thread soon with your name on it :) As for the price its cost me just under £20 or $30 US. Did a price up if I was in the US and it would cost less than $15, I hate UK prices :(

Tom.

As for the price its cost me just under £20 or $30 US. Did a price up if I was in the US and it would cost less than $15, I hate UK prices :(

I think the best way to go with UK product variants is to find a company that uses those kind of materials on a daily basis, ring them up or give them a visit, and see if they can sell you some on. More than likely you'll get them at the price they got them for in bulk, or even less if they were surplus. I live about 5 miles from any town, but still found a small fibreglass repair unit a couple of miles down the road, and got 3kg of resin and 2m sq of 100gsm matting for £8 rather than the £30 it would cost online. I'm pretty sure the same would apply to foam tiles

I think the best way to go with UK product variants is to find a company that uses those kind of materials on a daily basis, ring them up or give them a visit, and see if they can sell you some on. More than likely you'll get them at the price they got them for in bulk, or even less if they were surplus. I live about 5 miles from any town, but still found a small fibreglass repair unit a couple of miles down the road, and got 3kg of resin and 2m sq of 100gsm matting for £8 rather than the £30 it would cost online. I'm pretty sure the same would apply to foam tiles

Thank you for the info always appreciate advice. Not realy sure though what company would buy foam mats on a daily bases and out of the mats they do have would be surplus. Foam tiles aren't really something you need to buy more than once and if you do its because the ones you have are old and need replacing. I get my mats quite cheap but due to America being so large they have a more competitive sellers market and larger number of product manufacturers therefore they will normally beat UK prices hands down.

I would like to add also that I was pricing the whole build. I got everything real cheap with obsessive net searching :)

I hope this isn't dead, the hammer is amazing. Makes me want to get back into the garage and finish my build.

It's not dead it's just on hold till I can work out how to make the hand guard out of metal because foam will be too floppy. I will then cover the metal in foam to keep it all looking the same. Also I may have to redo the handle and haven't the drive at the moment to do it so working on my Ironman MK VI. You should get in the garage and get too it as your helmet will take up alot of your build time. The foam part is nice and fast so if you get the helmet done close to Halloween then you can just race through the rest of suit.

Tom.

Good to know that this isn't dead since it will look amazing awesome (good combo of words I know) but it will

Thank you man. I will try to pick this build back up as I think I have found what I need for the hand guard reinforcement now.

That's even better news! The gravity hammer is my favorite weapon to look at and the concept behind it but I'm terrible with it in game. Only seen one other prior to your build and love seeing more

Thank you man. I will try to pick this build back up as I think I have found what I need for the hand guard reinforcement now.

Tom, yes you could use mettal, but i might have a cheeper, simpler method for you.

plastic styrene sheets. something around 2mm, cut into the shape you wanted then just use the old heat gun method to make it plyable and shape. it's a bit tricker then foam as it cools REALLY quickly.

best trick i've come up with is sculpt (or in your case foam) up a mock up of the part you want, then basically you can either vacuform or just press down and heatgun it into shape. If you have a hairdryer with a "cool air" setting, it best to have that to help speed up the cool down in shape to avoid wrinkles.

(i'm not one to say alot, i rarely speak period, i'm more lurker then vocal, but when it helps, i speck :)
if you need more info, toss me a pm tom.

Tom, yes you could use mettal, but i might have a cheeper, simpler method for you.

plastic styrene sheets. something around 2mm, cut into the shape you wanted then just use the old heat gun method to make it plyable and shape. it's a bit tricker then foam as it cools REALLY quickly.

best trick i've come up with is sculpt (or in your case foam) up a mock up of the part you want, then basically you can either vacuform or just press down and heatgun it into shape. If you have a hairdryer with a "cool air" setting, it best to have that to help speed up the cool down in shape to avoid wrinkles.

(i'm not one to say alot, i rarely speak period, i'm more lurker then vocal, but when it helps, i speck :)
if you need more info, toss me a pm tom.

Thank you for the info but I see plastic snapping too easy. It would only take a bad knock and then that would be the end of that. I would have to remove the guard and remake it so metal is the only option really :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back