Mass Effect WIP Foam Armour - First Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mixmastersteve

Hey All! I've been lurking for a long time, but only just got started on my first project - a set of Mass Effect armour.

I've been wanting to do this for ages, and have read up quite a lot on it, finally decided to get stuck in today and see how it went. I hoping that by having a WIP log of the project, I'll be encouraged to get on with things a bit quicker than I usually do!

I've made a start on the chest piece - this is what I've achieved so far:
Progress1Small.jpg

It's still quite rough, there's a lot more sanding and finishing to do on these pieces, plus half of the bits are only partly done.

I realise that this isn't Halo armor, but all being well with this, I'll be doing something Halo related next :)

What does everyone think? Any tips/comments would be much appreciated - I'm very much flying blind with this!

I'd also like to thank Narayas from here - I'm using his excellent templates and prop codex, they've made everything so much easier to get started.

Looks like you're off to a good start I'd say!

It's ok this build isn't Halo, while that is the primary focus of these forums it is definitely not the only thing that we appreciate seeing built!

I'm looking forward to some progress and if you have foam questions I'll be happy to help any way I can!

Are you planning to coat the armor in plasti-dip or anything? I am none too familiar with the construction of an N7 suit, but if you are there is definitely some advice/words of warning I have concerning that subject.

Looking forward to more!

Omega

I finally have the last pieces of my build put together (which are foam built) and while I'm still no pro I've learned from some stupid mistakes :p I'd be happy to keep you from making them.
Are you planning to coat your armor

Thanks, I'm sure I'll have some questions as I go along!

Yeah, the plan so far is to go with Plasti-Dip, or at least something along those lines. Any obvious pitfalls to watch out for with that?

Hopefully going to get some more done tonight/tomorrow, so will add some more pictures when I've made some progress.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll have some questions as I go along!

Yeah, the plan so far is to go with Plasti-Dip, or at least something along those lines. Any obvious pitfalls to watch out for with that?

Hopefully going to get some more done tonight/tomorrow, so will add some more pictures when I've made some progress.

I've had some problems with plasti-dip in the past with cracking under stress. Don't know how well it would work for your suit, but on page 11 I think of my Juggernaut build Redshirt gave me a few different ideas for painting without plasti-dip. Good luck!

I've had some problems with plasti-dip in the past with cracking under stress. Don't know how well it would work for your suit, but on page 11 I think of my Juggernaut build Redshirt gave me a few different ideas for painting without plasti-dip. Good luck!

Cool, thanks - I'll take a look and see what's about! I'm quite a way off painting, so plenty of time to try a few things out on some offcuts and see how it goes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back