Mass Effect M-27 Scimitar Foam (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidheman

Jr Member
Hi guys! It's me again, with yet another non-Halo build (I'll get to it I promise - possibly a foam Mk V or VI). This time I'm attempting the M-27 Scimitar shotgun from the Mass Effect series. Apologies in advance if the pics are huge.... First up:

w2eor.jpg

I'm making this one like I made my M8, with layers of EVA foam cut out. I printed out the basic form, then roughed out the shape with my bandsaw (for a more even cut). Unfortunately I don't have too many pics of this stage, as the blade on my bandsaw broke halfway through the base form and I had to wait a week until I could get a new one. Needless to say...

gipnb.jpg

...I got it done, with the base and the main details, then started work on the extra stuff. I took some craft foam and started building the smaller details, and took some tubing for the sides:

shbofd.jpg

That bit on the inside will hold up the rear side extension - more on that later. I went to Lowes (my favorite new costume shop besides Harbor Freight lol) and grabbed some piping for the barrels. I couldn't find pipes that fit snugly together without a lot of space, but I found a real cool looking set that ended up working perfectly:

m7xew.jpg

I also picked up some vacuum tubing for the inside barrel details, cut it up, and added more details with the craft foam:

qyfmk.jpg

Now it was time for the side extensions. These were kind of a pain, but ended up looking awesome. I cut the rear ones out, and used my trusty wood burning tool on the back to etch a groove, which I bent to hold the angled shape. Here's a shot:

zbaqt.jpg

The front ones were trickier, as they had sections cut and the supports stick through them. I succeeded, though, so here's one:

fx2dkv.jpg

and the other:

16350247.jpg

Last up before painting was the rest of the details, etched in again with the wood burning tool. Much less needing done compared to the M8, so this was quick easy work.

91655916.jpg

gurjzm.jpg

And that's where I'm at! I'm throwing on a few coats of Plasti Dip, then it's time for paint. Should be done in the next few days! This guy's a beast, too. Surprisingly heavy!

Complete!

So here we are, back again at the final stage! I really enjoyed making this one. Got the shotgun all Plasti-Dip'd, then did some spot sprays on a few areas that didn't quite get enough:

8kemp.jpg

614ybx.jpg

It looked so awesome I almost wanted to keep it like that! I needed to finish it, though, so I trekked on. In game, the Scimitar is white, but I didn't want it bright white so instead drybrushed it on. It didn't turn out like I expected (still new to the whole drybrush technique), but it kinda looks weathered and done up in snow-camo, so I kept it. I also made a few spots silver and did some more dirty weathering.

cd6vm.jpg

g8klbt.jpg

ntgtr.jpg

o2ydd.jpg

7b1bq.jpg

And done! Did the lettering with a sharpie, so I know it's not perfect, but I don't know anywhere near me that does vinyl that small. Anyways, enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back