First Build! Halo 1 Mark V Helmet Build (Kinda Pic Heavy) (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cKryptic

Okay guys this is a repost because something went wrong with the other thread.

*Hey guys! So recently I have been wanting to make a Halo Helmet. I'm not really a noob when it comes to paper craft, models, etc but I have never made a pepakura style halo model. Sooooo, yesterday I decided to give it a shot, and I think it has turned out really well for a first build. There is one minor problem though that If anyone knows what to do would help greatly(last pic).

bdog1.jpg

Beginning Stage...

5Q5vD.jpg

Adding the back...

wkHyI.jpg

Back and front almost complete

dr9OG.jpg

Adding light housing.

70aXP.jpg

Stage 1 Complete!

IfcLu.jpg

Front View.

E5fY7.jpg

Side View.

Lw1VR.jpg

I blurred my face b/c i'm not really a fan of having it on the internet for randomss.. Sorry :D

a9jSc.jpg

The hole for my head is very tiny and I do not think that if a resin it I will be able to fit it in. I'm not sure if I should continue to shave and make the whole smaller right now or let it be and sand it down when it's almost finished. Any ideas?

I'll be posting more pictures as the build progresses. Any tips or comments would be very helpful. Thanks 405th!

-cKryptic*

Okay so i'm about to start the resin stage but I have a few questions...
How much resin would I use for this build?
RhY8q.jpg

What do I do about the flaps on the inside of the helmet that I did not use. These flaps go to the paper visor part but I did not make it. Should I just cut them off?
011zb.jpg

Okay so if I was to finish this helmet and install a visor, how would I install it to the inside. Part of the helmet is holo like the brim. Sooooo, Im kinda confused how I would.
BgSaq.jpg

You should add the pepakura visor. Your helmet needs support. If it doesn't have support then you could mess up the helmet during the resinning process. I've never resined before so I can't say for certain but I would just lightly coat the helmet with resin

Great pep work! :) You might want to consider a more detailed model for less bondo and sanding work.

I agree with BUBBENSTEIN. If you don't add the visor the helmet could warp from the weight from the resin, especially since the Mark V helmet has that brim that sticks out in the front. And it's easier to slush cast the inside if you decide to go that route for hardening.

The hole is usually always small. You should sand some of the trim after hardening it to get your head to fit.

The hole where your head goes is naturally small, this is because Spartan armor is naturally on a bigger person, so it's actually a bigger helmet in-game. A few things you could do is trim the hole to be bigger, which I guess you would have to do in the first place, but to make it look nicer you could;
Install a rubber neck-seal
make your neck-seal reach into the hole
dremil-out the back.

When My friend and I created his helmet, we did a combination of all 3. We used a circular piece of rubber to make the neck-seal, a fitted ribber cowl to cover-up the neck area, and we cut out the back of the helmet (The area with the weird vent-looking things) and made a rare-earth magnet connection system. So when the helmet was finished, we had an airtight-seal neck-hole, and a simple yet elegant way of taking off the helmet. All up to you on this one, but I'm just tossing ideas around here... Good luck!

You should add the pepakura visor. Your helmet needs support. If it doesn't have support then you could mess up the helmet during the resinning process. I've never resined before so I can't say for certain but I would just lightly coat the helmet with resin

I agree here as well. I've had this happen to me in the past, I did not want to bother with the visor or any supports, and the helmet was ruined as a result. I can tell you with 99% certainty, your helmet will be deformed if you resin without the visor or some sort of support.

That aside, although this is a fairly simple model, your pepping skills seem pretty solid. I'd like to see you take it to the next level.

I agree here as well. I've had this happen to me in the past, I did not want to bother with the visor or any supports, and the helmet was ruined as a result. I can tell you with 99% certainty, your helmet will be deformed if you resin without the visor or some sort of support.

That aside, although this is a fairly simple model, your pepping skills seem pretty solid. I'd like to see you take it to the next level.

Okay well I took into consideration what you guys said and added some supports. Their not the best but using some paper making skills...EX-->(Off topic: my DMR build pics)
ph2Am.jpg

GmD2D.jpg

I managed to make a adjustable/removable support system.
wnKBD.jpg

It actually worked out really well! No warp so far on first thin coat.
RRVse.jpg

H0fYo.jpg

I'll add more pictures as the build progresses.
Thanks so much for your help and support guys! It has made this a very fun first build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back