First build: Foam halo reach custom spartan (probably Pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
any more updates on putting the phone in there?

I'm putting my phone in my tacpad and I just used a case that I found for a dollar online then fibreglassed it into the back. if you really want to get crazy you can do what I did which is this:

I cut out a piece of clear plastic from a CD jewel case and then screwed in into the tacpad just a little bit larger than the phone. You have to unscrew it to access it but I'm pretty sure that the thing won't ever fall out of it's case so I may never use it.

Your build is really coming along! Crazy fast progress, and it's looking great.

As for your plast-dip issue, I've read that you don't need it if you're just painting with acrylics (not rattle cans). But, I haven't personally tried it so I'm not totally sure. You could always do a small test on a scrap piece of foam and see what happens.

Hope to see more soon!

Amazing foam work, this is awesome! Excited to see more!
Thanks dude, you're awesome :D
any more updates on putting the phone in there?

I'm putting my phone in my tacpad and I just used a case that I found for a dollar online then fibreglassed it into the back. if you really want to get crazy you can do what I did which is this:

I cut out a piece of clear plastic from a CD jewel case and then screwed in into the tacpad just a little bit larger than the phone. You have to unscrew it to access it but I'm pretty sure that the thing won't ever fall out of it's case so I may never use it.
I haven't looked at the tacpad since i started on the legs... i'm not to happy with the forearms, and like i said before, i will probably redo them both, which means i'll redo the tacpad... I'm also using a "broken" old phone case, but i'm not sure it's steady enough, so i'll probably put a shell over it too, much like your cd case! Thx for the tips ^^'
this is looking awesome, helmet looks great =D
Thanks dude, really appreciate it! :D
Your build is really coming along! Crazy fast progress, and it's looking great.

As for your plast-dip issue, I've read that you don't need it if you're just painting with acrylics (not rattle cans). But, I haven't personally tried it so I'm not totally sure. You could always do a small test on a scrap piece of foam and see what happens.

Hope to see more soon!
That is an interesting idea! I've seen that a couple of times on the forums before, like in halogodess's kat build... However, doesn't plasti-dip also harden the foam a bit, or am i wrong on this one? xD

Sorry for the double post, but UPDATE :D
A small one this time... i have almost finished the detailing and "padding" on the chestpiece now, meaning it actually fits to my body, and it doesn't look like i just put on a huge cage anymore xD
On to the pics!
imag0222g.jpg

My super high tech solution to putting it on and taking it off (which was rather inspired by a lot of peeps on 405th)
The way it works is that this "clipper" rests at the bottom of the chest, right where the backpiece and the front connects... I put both pieces of the clipper a bit too far from each other to reach comfortably for them. That means a lot of effort needs to be put in closing them.. however, this also removes the ugly seam that would form on the outside of the armor, making this particular area even sturdier than the rest xD
imag0221z.jpg

The back detailing. This is a really bad picture, and does not do it justice... basically, with a bit of paint, LEDs and plastics (from a coke bottle), this will look as fine as it could ever be :D
Also shows a bit of the stuff that fills out the side xD
imag0220zq.jpg

Aaaaand the stuff that fills out the side, which makes it look tight to my body, and also makes me look a lot more pumped up than i actually am xD
It looks really scrappy, with glue all over it, however, this is going to go through A LOT of sanding, since i want to smoothen the edges of it to look like that sort of leather material-esque thing that it's made of (you know :b).
imag0219ng.jpg

Front detailing, which turned out fantastic! :D The green stuff is some sort of fake craft foam... it's REALLY soft, but it works for these kinds of stuff, and will probably harden a bit with paint xD
imag0218wk.jpg

And i'll round it up with a full torso... that obviously needs a lot of sanding... And i still need to attach the visor. As it is now, it pushes out the sides of the mk VI which makes the helmet look REALLY wide and not ver long... which is bad xD i'll have to fix that xD

ANyway, thanks for stopping by, happy building 405th!

Looking really nice man, I like it :)
Not sure if you have seen my foam tutorial but check out what I have done so far for any tips that might help.

Keep up the good work,
Tom.

Thanks drack, always appreciate your feedback ^^'

Anyway, i thought i'd post a small update, since i've made some progress...
Basically, i've finished both of my NEW forearms... including tacpad! They both need some sanding and painting, but otherwise, done ^^'
Here are some pics :D
imag0230y.jpg

Right forearm, nothing special here, but one of my cleanest foamworks yet!
bild20120717kl1851.jpg

The new and improved tacpad! This one features a system that locks the phone into place by placing a layer of cardboard on top of everything except the screen and the touch buttons (htc desire).
imag0229ed.jpg

The phone locks into place thanks to my old phone case, which i used in my last version. Here however, i was able to put a screen lock switch that actually breaks through the locking cardboard piece, so the phone can be unlocked and locked in a stylish and easy manner!
imag0228zi.jpg

The cardboard cover is sturdy as hell (it really doesn't give for anything xD) and is locked into place by four bolts on each corner, to make sure that the phone won't come off, be it by dropping of theft...

So anyway, i am REALLY happy with the tacpad, it turned out great and fits just perfectly... i guess you can call i luck that it looks as true to the games as it does lol xD
Only boots, kneepads, bicep, handplate and a whole lot of sanding, and then i'm ready for paint! :D
Anyways, happy building 405th! :D

Eyyoo, double update! :D since the last one wasn't that interesting...

imag0243is.jpg

imag0242zp.jpg

So basically, i'm close to finishing the tacpad. I added a few details on my own, like the soft rubber-ish lining to keep it in place, but i think it looks pretty damn awesome!
You may notice (if you have been following my thread) that these are not the shoulders i used to have... That's because i made new ones, after l3x:s brilliant pepakura! They look fantastic, but they were probably the hardest part to make so far, with all the bits and pieces... Of course i'm going to have to make actual shoulder pieces to attach to these, but that will have to wait for a while...
imag0241be.jpg

I made the chestpiece quite a bit larger by adding foam in the areas around the shoulders, and it did wonders for the sense of scale.. suddenly, the helmet looks like it's part of the armor :D
I'm pretty damn happy with it, and chest is REALLY close to finished, at least with the detailing... It just needs the whole neck-part and then a lot of sanding...
Everything needs to be sanded actually...
In other news, i might have solved my painting problem... i asked my grandpa about it, who has been working with cars (especially painting them) his whole life, and he might have found an alternative to plasti-dip that is a bit cheaper here in sweden... I don't know the name of it, but i'll update later... The thing is, he gave me a sample, and it looks fantastic!
I'll round this of with a blurry mountain of everything that i've built so far! (minus the bad parts that i threw away)
imag0249m.jpg

Wow, this thread feels as empty as my wallet xD
anywho, ive been away to the summerplace again, which means i have a HUGE update!
However, it's not an update about the armor... this is special... See a spartan is deadly as he is, but with a weapon in his hands, he is unstopable...
So i've decided to go with the dmr and a magnum, starting with the dmr, which i'm going to make entirely out of wood...
Now, keep in mind that this is my first piece of woodwork since i was eight, so it's a bit rough around the edges... I think my ambitions exceed my skills on this project.
I decided to make my dmr progress in one post here instead of making a new thread, since i've done so much alrdy...

halo_m392_dmr_lineart_by_masterchieffox-d49alh1.png

I stole this picture from fc03 (thanks google) but the guy deserves a lot of cred, he made an awesome blueprint that has lots of details which made it a perfect blueprint for my project...
I printed this picture on a scale of five A4 pages, cut it out, taped it together and traced it onto a piece of wood. Now i tried to make this a bit budget, and i didn't have all that much wood to choose from, so i decided to make it from four wooden planks, since none of the planks where wide enough in any way xD
imag0259io.jpg

This is how i decided to cut up the parts... I used glue and wooden plugs to stick em together, and then sanded it down so that it basically worked as one unit... The goal with this was to make it into a solid piece that i would be able to cut down to shape, since i'm more used to working with models and clay than woodwork.
imag0260u.jpg

This is what the gluing technique looked like when all the sanding was done... I also thought that i could use the fact that i split the gun in two, which would make it easier to carve things inside of the gun. I decided to do the magazine apart from the rest of the gun, and i will probably make a moving trigger and LED lit counter on top of it...
imag0261ar.jpg

I used a multitool saw attachment to slowly carve out the inclines and levels of the rifle, then i used regular sanding paper and a sanding machine to level it and make it (kind of) straight. I made some mistakes in this process, ie you can see the plug on the handle, the lines are not straight and so on. Before i carved and made the magazine i decided to put the whole thing together and do a bit of sanding around the edges, so i wouldn't fit the magazine into the wrong size...
imag0263b.jpg

imag0264f.jpg

And of course, with every step of the process, you evolve... and this also applies on my dmr project... This is basically as far as i've gotten with it to date! My magazine is carved out and ready for detailing, and fits pretty neatly into the gun itself... I'm thinking of making a small locking mechanism with magnets that would hold the magazine in place, and also require the "manual loading lever" to be pulled completely to be able to remove the clip.
imag0262gq.jpg

And this is a picture of the full gun with everything i've made so far, including a split view... Now, this need a whole lot of more love, especially in the detailing departement! I need to sand it down a lot, and probably have to put some sort of bondo on all the cracks and crevaces that came from my half-bad craftmanship...
Please, tell me what you think of it so far, and what i can do to make it better! Any constructive feedback would be fantastic!
Now it will probably be a week before i can work on this particular project again, but the good news is i've recieved my "pasti-dip" so i can get on with painting a lot of the main project now, the armor ^^'
Anyway, thanks for reading if you stayed with me throughout the whole long post, and as always:
Happy building 405th! :D

I really like your tac pad buddy! I will have to re make mine based upon yours I think. I built mine from scratch using my own design and it hasn't turned out as i'd have liked.
The whole build is looking awesome keep it up :)

DBmike

I really like your tac pad buddy! I will have to re make mine based upon yours I think. I built mine from scratch using my own design and it hasn't turned out as i'd have liked.
The whole build is looking awesome keep it up :)

DBmike
Thanks dude, funny thing is, your most recent project was a big influence for me when i was about to start mine xD
My tacpad was kind of freehanded aswell, and you know how it is, sometimes it turns out awesome, and sometimes you are not really happy with it... My first tacpad, the one on my now scrapped forearms looked horrifying compared to this one, but it served as experience for my next one ^^'
Keep up your good work, love following it, and thanks :D

Thanks dude, funny thing is, your most recent project was a big influence for me when i was about to start mine xD
My tacpad was kind of freehanded aswell, and you know how it is, sometimes it turns out awesome, and sometimes you are not really happy with it... My first tacpad, the one on my now scrapped forearms looked horrifying compared to this one, but it served as experience for my next one ^^'
Keep up your good work, love following it, and thanks :D

Ah brilliant! its good to see my work has had a positive influence :)
I think i'll do a mk2 tac pad, when I came up with mine i wanted to go for a halo-esc looking gauntlet underneath with a big comms attachment strapped to it but I just don't think it worked as I planned and also hasn't ended up looking very haloish but at the same time its not too bad I don't think so will see as I'm nearing completion now what I think when i'm done. I still need to rebuild my helmet using a HD model so might as well fit in a gauntlet remodel too.
I just really want to get done so I can start on my mk7 iron man suit and also Thor's suit :D

Ah brilliant! its good to see my work has had a positive influence :)
I think i'll do a mk2 tac pad, when I came up with mine i wanted to go for a halo-esc looking gauntlet underneath with a big comms attachment strapped to it but I just don't think it worked as I planned and also hasn't ended up looking very haloish but at the same time its not too bad I don't think so will see as I'm nearing completion now what I think when i'm done. I still need to rebuild my helmet using a HD model so might as well fit in a gauntlet remodel too.
I just really want to get done so I can start on my mk7 iron man suit and also Thor's suit :D

Dude, just a tip from personal experience with everything... If you dont feel like doing it, and you dont have to, dont do it!
If you feel like making your iron man or thor suit, do them instead, cause there is no point wasting materials if you dont feel what you're building xD
Besides, taking a break sometimes is not that bad... it clears your mind and you get lots of new ideas if you wait a day or two ^^'
Multiple projects is not a bad thing. If you get stuck on one, go work on the other :p
Anyway, you do whatever you feel like, your work is awesome, and thanks for the replies!
Happy building!

Thanks Buddy, overall I'm happy with my build I just need to fix that gauntlet and helmet to improve the overall look. But it's kind of an OCD that once I start something it has to be finished before starting something new other wise I'm not happy lol
It's like when I used to play WoW, I wanted a new alt but couldn't do it till I was finished with my DK :p

Thanks Buddy, overall I'm happy with my build I just need to fix that gauntlet and helmet to improve the overall look. But it's kind of an OCD that once I start something it has to be finished before starting something new other wise I'm not happy lol
It's like when I used to play WoW, I wanted a new alt but couldn't do it till I was finished with my DK :p

I know right, it's oftentimes the same here xD But if it becomes some sort of chore, i usually stop for a while... but whatever, just make sure you're having fun xD

Well, it's been a few days since my last update, so i figured i had to make one xD
Been kinda busy (playing dayz mostly xD) so i haven't really been working too hard on my armor... :(
However, i did complete my boots, which looks awesome!
I dreaded making these since it would mean i would have to walk on them if i was to make a whole boot...
I decided to go with putting the foam parts on a pair of broken old boots that i had lying around... Turns out, compared to the slightly oversized shins, the scaling turned out perfectly!
Now i just have the knees and the shoulderguards left, then i'm gonna sand everything down a bit, and on to painting and LED-work!
Anyways, here are some pics of the boots. Keep in mind that i'm going to attach the plates that go between the shin and the toe piece afterwards, with velcro, so that i'll be able to comfortably tie my shoe!
imag0270q.jpg

imag0272v.jpg

As always, happy building 405th! ^^'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back