Help/Suggestions for molding a Hylian Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgan

So I want to make a copy of my Hylian Shield, but I have no idea where to start.

I tried to look around for something to make a mold, but so far I haven't found any luck finding anything in town, so Ill probably have to order the stuff in.

Any suggestions and help would be great, Like for what to use and what to do.

IMG_20110713_230509.jpg

I would recommend a platinum cure silicon like dragon skin (10 fast) from smooth-on, with a fiberglass mothermold. Brush on a very thin "print" layer in order to grab all the detail properly, then use a product called thi-vex to thicken the rubber a little bit, do two more layers, and one more later of un-thickened rubber for a smooth surface. Add a few small registration keys down the centerline, and then do your mothermold. You may want to consider using something like free form epoxy putty, also a smooth-on product as a casting medium. Smooth-on has some wonderful tutorial videos on their website. Their rebound25 would also work, but i am not a huge fan of th rebound, it isn't as forgiving as the dragons skin and doesn't seem to retain its surface finish as long. You can get the products either through smooth-on themselves or you can go through Reynolds advanced materials. Prices are the same, it just changes shipping prices. Hope that helps.

Okay just want to make sure I got this right

1. coat of dragon skin
2. 2 coats of thi-vex + dragon skin
3. coat of normal dragon skin
4. small registration keys down the centerline
5. mother mold, epoxy putty or fiberglass.

That sounds pretty great to me, and that epoxy putty looks really handy, I might just use that.
And you also recommend the epoxy putty for the casting? Is it pretty light and durable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back