Halo Reach Female Spartan build W.I.P

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO FIRST THINGS FIRST!!!!

I'm not a Female, I'm working on this build for my girlfriend currently because I hit a large brick wall in my Elite build & need a little more practice before tackling it(serious faulty complications in my building the damn armor) So She's decided she'll be a female Spartan III from Halo Reach, the models provided are modeled & unfolded by various users, I apologize for not using names, but I honestly don't know all of them. So we're doing this suit in two parts, a part Pep build, part foam, I'm using pepakura parts to do the foam, however, So the chest, Bracers, Helmet, & boots will be done as resin & Bondo pieces, the thighs, cod-piece, & Bicep armor will be done in foam (lack of mirrored parts, durability & flexibility are nescessary factors to consider when working in armor)

SO I'm gonna shut up now & let you paruse these lovely photos of the work we have done so far!!! Enjoy

So the first order of business that needed taking care of was the pepakur-iz-ation...? of the Helmet!
tGeRm.jpg

but yet, more work was to be done!
Now, I wanted to get a little more acquainted with the Fiberglass-resin, consider that the last time I used this stuff was on a project from last october
Wnh4j.jpg

next, I decided that it was time to apply a slight amount of Bondo onto the helmet, just to have a nice start
CtZn1.jpg

please forgive the poor quality of my zoomed in camera on my iPhone, Next I wanted to start pep work on the rest of the armor, So we decided to tackle the largest piece(overwhelmingly less work than my Elite build) The Chest/Torso armor!
oatdz.jpg

2ocit.jpg

a4pah.jpg

Next I figured I should work it as a two-part piece, so here's the very front & bottom straps!
LtDN2.jpg

urdZy.jpg

& le Peace tu resistance', the foam template for the Thigh armor!
h6L9m.jpg

UPDATE!!!!!! 6/17/12 9:11 PM
So the Chest/Torso Piece is completed in the pep phase, I hit a snag or two in one part, hopefully we can fix that in the resin/Bondo phase, but until then, why not enjoy these lavish photos of the piece anyway!
nXzr0.jpg

UwvAV.jpg

3meg2.jpg

UPDATE!!! 6/19/12
I've managed to get a decent amount of work done on the thigh armor, the first piece was nowhere near easy to put together & I still believe it needs some work, but it's not... Terrible, why don't you go ahead & take a look at it! :)
27ZnW.jpg

RWDkb.jpg

SO!!!!In conclusion, the armor is very obviously not finished yet, but please! feel free to leave comments & questions about the build! As well as tips, praise, & critisisms, & with that! Have a wonderful day four-oh-Fivers!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great start! The hybrid of fiberglassed and foam parts should be lightweight, which is the reason I'm guessing that you chose this route. :)

That's a great start! The hybrid of fiberglassed and foam parts should be lightweight, which is the reason I'm guessing that you chose this route. :)

Exactly, you see, if you just use hard pieces for areas that recieve a lot of movement (IE shoulders, Hips, ect.) Then you don't have the flexibility that you require when moving those areas, so if you replace the Fiberglass codpiece/bicep/thigh with foam variants of the pieces, you can get a lightweight & flexible look that'll be sure to be comfortable as well. Thank you very much for your thoughts :)

Exactly, you see, if you just use hard pieces for areas that recieve a lot of movement (IE shoulders, Hips, ect.) Then you don't have the flexibility that you require when moving those areas, so if you replace the Fiberglass codpiece/bicep/thigh with foam variants of the pieces, you can get a lightweight & flexible look that'll be sure to be comfortable as well. Thank you very much for your thoughts

Nice to see someone else going the same route that I'm planning! :cool

I'm finishing up the helmet for mine currently, and then the body armor work starts. I'm looking at pretty much the same concept of hard pepped areas that don't need to move, foam under that for any jointed areas, and then a vinyl/foam undersuit for the exposed areas to give it some bulk and texture.

Yours is looking good so far, can't wait to see how it all comes together.

Nice to see someone else going the same route that I'm planning! :cool

I'm finishing up the helmet for mine currently, and then the body armor work starts. I'm looking at pretty much the same concept of hard pepped areas that don't need to move, foam under that for any jointed areas, and then a vinyl/foam undersuit for the exposed areas to give it some bulk and texture.

Yours is looking good so far, can't wait to see how it all comes together.

Oh sweet! I'll have to check it out! & thanks! The only complication is getting your head into the armor(you can't) but Hopefully that'll work itself out twoards the end of the build, & frankly, I'm anxious to see my girlfriend in this armor, she's helped me so much with the progress on my build I figured since I screwed it up, we'd build her armor first instead.

UPDATE!!!! 6/20/12

So yesterday I got a boatload of work done on the costume, it's been coming along quite nicely, so here are a couple photos of the work, I've managed to bondo the Helmet quite a lot & Fiberglass resin the chest piece!
So first I suspended the chest piece to make sure the resin didn't harden on a warped piece(really really tricky)
fxDeq.jpg

HkfSE.jpg

84YWF.jpg

So the trickiest part was definately trying to keep these straps open by taping this piece to the back, my hands got buened pretty bad from wet resin drying on my hands

but due to the amount of hardener I put into the mix, it dried in 20-40 minutes luckily, & we were able to snap these photos in it today!
yCwBx.jpg

kRY1G.jpg

hDPeQ.jpg

So Elle & I would like to thank everybody on the forum for your help & support & helping us achieve this amazing work, have a GREAT day 405-ers!!!
D6zbS.jpg

UPDATE TIME!!!!!
So, in order to be efficient with my updating & Keeping yo uall posted, I've decided to do video updating instead of through photos, so here it goes!
VIDEO HERE!!!!

UPDATE!!!! 6/29/12
Hey guys,

Extremely sorry that I didn't get the opprotunity to update, things have been hectic, but I just wanted to show I'm still alive & that I've been able to get some work done! here are some images of the Shin-guards I've been working on for Elle!!!!
Ad1qO.jpg

cg9hl.jpg

GfQtt.jpg

aW5ym.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
it looks good! not trying to be a downer, but that helmet looks a little bit too massive... i am making the exact same model, and i used 260mm hight for a six foot two guy...

Yeah, I too had thought of this brig large, but when you think about it, it's not exactly crazy that it's this size, when building this I thought "well when you take padding into consideration, & not only that, but seventy-five percent of this helmet is a visor."

yeah, thats true... what are you planning to do for a visor..? i'm making a vaccum former right now for mine, and my visor is perfectly smoothed right now... once everything is done i can show you, pump one out for you, do the custom tint, and ship it up to you...

Well that's a good idea! I kind of was looking into vaccuforming. But I don't have the tech to do that, not do I have the expenses to be able to pay for one made by you, but if I could get a tutorial from you that would be amazing!

alright, come morning, i'll pm you everything i am using in mine and how it is being made. they are fairly cheap to make, but the only thing i would warn you about is the surface you are vaccuforming has to be perfectly smooth, otherwise you get distortion in the vision, and it is visible from the exterior as well

Helmet looks fine, especially since it's the old bubble headed "sniper bait" :p It'll look more proper when you put the shoulders on. Looks like you've got alot of sanding ahead of you though. Anyways keep it up and have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back