A Halo 4 ODST Concept Helmet Collaboration!

Status
Not open for further replies.

koshima07

While studying the many new helmets in Halo 4, I have decided to combine multiple aspects and asthetics to create a newer version of the fan-favorite ODST helmet!
And so I am left to make a request, if anyone would mind listening, to help in the creation of this peice.

Here is my rendition of the concepted helmet:
CustomODSTHelm.jpg

Note- I was trying an Up-Armor concept based from the Mk V(B)

Here's a profile view:
CustomODSTHelmProfile.jpg

I drew inspiration from multiple helmets, and I tried to do the best I could to illustrate the final concept.

An edited portrait view:
CustomODSTHelmPortrait.jpg

So let me know what you all think! I am allowing this concept to be modified to anyone's preferance, and would most definitely appreciate the help on creating a new helmet for the community!
Thanks for the consideration, guys!

EDIT:

Update! Helmet has been unfolded, here's the link, Community!
http://www.4shared.com/file/NPAhc6Wh/H4_ODST_Concept_Helmet_2.html
No you can has!

I like this idea, koshima07. Please let me know if you'd like any assistance with making a model...I'd love to help.

Those sketches are awesome Koshima! The helmet looks rad, especially with the UA :) I wonder if it would be easy to modify an existing pep? Or maybe even a put together helmet? I may have to try this on the one I just finished!
I fully support this operation, wish I knew how to model, but unfortunately, I can't :(

Oh man, that is awesome.
Koshima: awesome helmet design. You were able to redisgn the whole helmet yet still keep the ODST feel. I can't wait to see what else you have in store.
harnor: awesome job on the model, just like all the rest of thr models you do and wicked fast to boot! Keep up the good work.

When I saw the model posted this morning, I knew today was gonna be a fun day. Spent the day today unfolding and getting it ready for the printer! Have fun!

Can you use it for something?

H4 Koshima ODST.pdo

I wanted to see how well something like a concept image created by a normal, nonprofessional person could transition from perspective 2D into full 3D.
And I must say, I am most definitely impressed! Kudos, Harnor!

Oh man, that is awesome.
Koshima: awesome helmet design. You were able to redisgn the whole helmet yet still keep the ODST feel. I can't wait to see what else you have in store.
harnor: awesome job on the model, just like all the rest of thr models you do and wicked fast to boot! Keep up the good work.

When I saw the model posted this morning, I knew today was gonna be a fun day. Spent the day today unfolding and getting it ready for the printer! Have fun!

Nice work on the unfold, but don't get too penisy (ala Peter-Han). I have a couple notes and ideas, but I won't be able to illustrate them for another few days.
Having said that, here's what I have to say:

On the model, near the chin area, maybe we can round out the edge and provide a little more support, that way when one theoretically puts on the helmet, it encases their chin and lower jaw as well (like the Mk VI Helmet), instead of taking the appearance of the average brain-bucket. Also, to make a better fit, maybe we can change the scaling of the model, and lengthen the area between the rear neck-gaurd and the chin, enlargening the opening. That can be an easy fix on sketchup, so long as harnor can authorize the export.
The black plate on the front-most top of the helmet is a good addition, but i think--- nope, nevermind, that's fine.
On the sides where most helmet accessories could be attached, I think we should make it flush, and remove the protruding green part. That way the unfold is less complex, and easier to work with. And my last note is to not really remove the detail on the visor, but to also make the unfolding and building process easier. I don't know how to explain that last part, but those are my thoughts.

Satchmo, I apologize for not addressing your last post, but it would be an honor to work with you. Feel free to collab, yo!

Overall, I'm proud to be apart of this Community. You guys have done some awesome work, and I wonder what else we can pull off.
Hell, I just might do a poll indicating which Halo 3 or Reach helmet to 4-ify, but we'll see.

So once again, thanks guys. The 405th is a better place.

Keep you updated,
Oash-Koash, out.

Satchmo, I apologize for not addressing your last post, but it would be an honor to work with you. Feel free to collab, yo!

No problem. I think it's totally awesome that the community is able to produce original works, in relativity short order. I'm very impressed with the talent and teamwork expressed with a project like this.

damn harnor, you always get right on with making a model as soon as someone requests it :) it looks amazing btw
cool concept man, really like it

Harnor, would it be alright with you to edit the model?
I've noticed that while looking at the unfold, it is has a high poly count.
When you unfold it onto PD3, all of those faces and vertices don't flow as easy as smipler models,
making it harder to join faces.
I suggest reducing the polycount to provide a smoother unfold.

Still amazing what you pulled off though, and we are happy with the models you put out.
So I apologize if you take this all the wrong way, man. It'd just make it a little easier to put together, is all.

Thanks, yo.

I was just throwing this out there, But before I had even heard of Reach coming out, I had started some concepts of a Odst for a fan movie. It ended up almost exactly like Kat's helm. I thought it was funny. So How are the tweaks, and koshima's edits?

AAAAAAAnd, cue pic-heavy update!

I've uploaded the obj file at the end of the post, but for now you can look at the pretty pictures.

In these images, I've modified some parts of Harnor's original helmet file, starting with simple geometry and moving onto making major edits in detail.

So here we go!

Here is a perspective shot of a teporarilly color-schemed helmet, with some modifications in play.
Untitled.jpg

You can see that I added a few parts, extruded the filter/speaker/whateveryouwantotcallit area so that anyone building, resining and detailing it would have an easier go. I also added on the top half an impression like the ODST helm from H3/ODST/Reach, and so on to give it more of its feel.

Untitled2.jpg

Here's a portrait shot, with some edits to the black indentation underneath the visor, and another view of the whatchamacallits.

Untitled7.jpg

Another perspective showcasing the jaw area...

Untitled3.jpg

Another shot here...

Untitled6.jpg

Ok, here's a bottom view of the helmet, and I know there isn't a neck-gaurd attached yet. But in this image, You can see the chin area that the wearer's chin is supposed to be concealed of protected by, and the ridgeline for the bottom of the helmet, which I fleshed out just a bit to give it some supportive form.

And here's a shot of my test-run:
Untitled4.jpg

A custom color scheme of my potential Mk V set, topped off with a scaled helmet from which I have based the rest of the build on. That there is S-329, ya'll!

And the recent shots, depicting a final paint-color scheme in which the white and light grey are customizable (you know what I mean).
Untitled11.jpg

So as this is the latest model, mods include the changing of the front helmet ridge, slight changes to the now-attached armor re-inforcements, and inclusion of the rear neck gaurd.

Untitled10.jpg

Here's a front shot to show you more of what I'm talking about.

Untitled111.jpg

Aaaand another...

Untitled12.jpg

Here's a shot of the back of the helmet, which I wanted to give a traditional ODST feel. The neck-gaurd may look shortened, but it allows for ease of putting it on and removal.
I've also modified the rear armor plate to give it a more rounded and industrial feel.

Untitled8.jpg

Here's the top shot, where you can see the mods to the up-armor better. Note that I made the front plate appear more like something out of Reach.
Also didn't change much else in regards to the back of the helmet, so I think that works just fine, eh.

And last, but not least:
Untitled9.jpg

A profile view of the finished helmet, scaled out so that you can fit your head, no matter what size it may be, into it.

EDIT:

And here's the file:
http://www.4shared.com/file/OSsHrcBn/H4_ODST_Concept_Helmet.html

Note: It may be scaled to 298mm, or cm, I forget which...

Anyway, let me know what you guys think of the changes, paint-scheme and so on and so forth.
Thank's for the opportunity to work together, let's put this bad boy into gear and build a new helmet!

Good luck,

Oash-Koash, out.

You know after looking at it, It's almost like ODST+Mk V+ Mk Vb=awesome fanmade helmet! I wish I did already get so far on my odst !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back