Mass Effect Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan8535

So for the midnight release of Mass Effect 3 at my previous store my store manager made mass effect armor. It was a simple foam build that looked awesome for a quick build and it's something that I feel like I can comfortably do right now.

I did hear he was making the armor and promptly made my own armor to show his up...
photo.php

If that works lemme know i have a few more.

I want to use the same type of foam but slightly more detail. I have worked with similar foam with less success so I am open to as much advice as I can get before purchasing materials...

if you go into your photobucket account setting there should be an option to pick which embedding thingies show up. you want to use direct link, img code, and img thumb. then you can just copy the embed codes and paste them in your next posts. hope this helps a bit.

if you go into your photobucket account setting there should be an option to pick which embedding thingies show up. you want to use direct link, img code, and img thumb. then you can just copy the embed codes and paste them in your next posts. hope this helps a bit.

You sir...all the thank you's...

So I am looking at building the armor from scratch. I'm getting the foam from Home Depot (or online whichever is cheaper at the time) but what other materials should I consider getting. As far as tools go most of stuff is still boxed away at my old house waiting to be shipped (I drove across country last month from MA to CA).

I'm going to need to get a Hot Knife but outside of that and a glue gun, what other materials does the 405th predict I may require.

In the future, there's no need to post three times in a row. Simply click the "Edit" button and you can add more stuff to the post. Triple posting can be considered bumping, and is against forum rules.

On the actual topic, I love the picture. Who needs foam armor when you have a cardboard box!?

Other tools that are helpful for foam work include dremels (So I've heard, never tried mine on foam), a cutting mat, precision cutting blades to be used alongside the hot knife, markers to trace out patterns, and... printer if you're going to print out patterns! And... be sure to check that foam to be a good one, especially one that will heat form, rather than just melting or catching fire.

If you haven't seen drack's videos on foam, they're fantastic:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/37261-Foam-Technique-Tutorials
Good luck and I can't wait to see what you come up with.

In the future, there's no need to post three times in a row. Simply click the "Edit" button and you can add more stuff to the post. Triple posting can be considered bumping, and is against forum rules.

Thanks for the heads up. Still new to the forum faux pas's :p!! The video links are really going to help me just watched a few minutes thank you so much!!

UPDATE TIME!

Things have been hectic with this project it has been a patience game. Mainly because my only source of internet has died and the site (405th) seemed to be down when I could access it. Hotknife has been purchased and I have done a few stress tests on Jo Anne fabric foam since it is smallest possible amount of foam to purchase locally. Right now I am getting the feel for it and trying to set up a space in the house to do this work (the house has been subject to refinishing work these past few weeks). I really hope to post pics soon but not even sure when the access to a decent computer terminal will be available.

I am working on forearm pieces right now and am not following any templates-all from scratch. Any advice on scratch builds...foam...or just common sense at this point-would be fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back