Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only the top half of the faceplate to go.

5LRLw.jpg

RIGHT! Second attempt at the MkIV helmet. This time it looks much better and has a well-matched and symmetrical shape. A couple more minor alignment adjustments and it's ready for a couple of coats of resin on the outside.

Some problems along the way with a few glues. Tarzan Grip worked well. One Superglue worked well and another Superglue would not stick to anything but my fingers. I ended up finishing it with standard PVA wood glue. A little slower to stick, but the trick was to use vary thin layers of it.

ZNu3e.jpg

1. This time I'm using temporary adjustable telescoping braces on the inside to help shape the helmet while the resin cures.
a87wt.jpg

2. Temporary tabs fixed on the outside to hold shape and spacing while the resin cures.
v1iS7.jpg

3. Just about to start the first coat of resin. Comparing the new Pepakura attempt (left) with the first try. (Right.)
QEXhj.jpg

NOOO I AM TOO LATE!!!

ok So here's the deal....

7843174378_118aba2607_c.jpg

If you go to setting, then other settings in pep designer, you get the box on the right. if you change the threshold value from 175 to 160, unnecessary folds are removed from the pep, making it look better, and easier to make. comparison of the same model.

NOOO I AM TOO LATE!!!

ok So here's the deal....

7843174378_118aba2607_c.jpg

If you go to setting, then other settings in pep designer, you get the box on the right. if you change the threshold value from 175 to 160, unnecessary folds are removed from the pep, making it look better, and easier to make. comparison of the same model.

That's alright mate, there will be other helmets after this one! What about for the chest, arms, legs etc. Should I set this the same for them too?

Baz.

All shiny and wet with two coats of resin on the outside and one coat on the inside. Tomorrow should be as stiff as a plank and ready for fibreglassing.
AhVhq.jpg

First layer or Rondo (Resin mixed with Bondo) on the inside to stiffen the helmet and fill all the corners.
VwXVH.jpg

First layer of body-filler on the outside. (Partially done)
jZEl3.jpg

First layer done on the outside. Curing overnight. Sanding tomorrow.
A1iwV.jpg

Yep. Fan heater. It's minus 1 Celsius here tonight. It's not a very hot fan, but it does speed up the cure and heat the tin shed a little.

Ok, I was worried that it was simply a fan. That'd be counter-productive, but you know what you're doing.

Yeah, cold sucks for this hobby.

Looks like it's coming along nicely. Keep up the good work!

This looks positively amazing! The first model didnt seem to bad off, and if I'm reading into this correctly you did it without numbering? Wow that must have been hard, anyways this looks like an amazing build and I'm sure if you did the rest it would look stunning.

Ok, I was worried that it was simply a fan. That'd be counter-productive, but you know what you're doing.

Yeah, cold sucks for this hobby.

Looks like it's coming along nicely. Keep up the good work!

This looks positively amazing! The first model didnt seem to bad off, and if I'm reading into this correctly you did it without numbering? Wow that must have been hard, anyways this looks like an amazing build and I'm sure if you did the rest it would look stunning.

Thanks blokes. Yeah, I just watched Ben Streeper's video on Rondo'ing the inside. Tutorials like this make the build so stress-free! I'm contemplating whether or not I still need to lay in the fibreglass mat on the inside as well now.

The new improved helmet is looking much better and good to see that you got it further than I did with my ironman pep build. One thing I will add, due to doing lots of reading before I started mine but never got to it. Have you thought of removing the ears, build a flat surface in there, then make the ears separate so you can get the detailing perfect then attach the ears once you have them spot on. After building an ironman helmet out of pep and bondo (never posted it though) I cut my ears out and made them separate and made life so much easier. Ok I didn't in any way finish it but even imagining how hard it would be to get them right while still on the helmet hurt my brain :p

Either way as a big Ironman fan I can't wait to see how this turns out.
Tom.

P.S. Are you gunna fatten out that bottom lip? I think you should. I do realise it is not near finished so I guess you already have though of that :)
Also are you going to cut the face plate out and put in servos to have it open. Or install magnets so you can take it off and attach it to your head. If you haven't the skills for the motors then at some point soon I will have my MK VI helmet made and will be using the magnet technique so you might want to give it a though and check it out. In my MK V helmet I have the slits under the lights in the eyes and although you can see ok it's not ideal all the time. So for my MK VI build I am going for rare earth magnets so if/when/will be getting Claustrophobic I can take the face off and pop it on top of my head. It does get a little too much after a while in the helmet.

The new improved helmet is looking much better and good to see that you got it further than I did with my ironman pep build. One thing I will add, due to doing lots of reading before I started mine but never got to it. Have you thought of removing the ears, build a flat surface in there, then make the ears separate so you can get the detailing perfect then attach the ears once you have them spot on. After building an ironman helmet out of pep and bondo (never posted it though) I cut my ears out and made them separate and made life so much easier. Ok I didn't in any way finish it but even imagining how hard it would be to get them right while still on the helmet hurt my brain :p

Either way as a big Ironman fan I can't wait to see how this turns out.
Tom.

P.S. Are you gunna fatten out that bottom lip? I think you should. I do realise it is not near finished so I guess you already have though of that :)
Also are you going to cut the face plate out and put in servos to have it open. Or install magnets so you can take it off and attach it to your head. If you haven't the skills for the motors then at some point soon I will have my MK VI helmet made and will be using the magnet technique so you might want to give it a though and check it out. In my MK V helmet I have the slits under the lights in the eyes and although you can see ok it's not ideal all the time. So for my MK VI build I am going for rare earth magnets so if/when/will be getting Claustrophobic I can take the face off and pop it on top of my head. It does get a little too much after a while in the helmet.

G'day Tom,

Thanks for the suggestions with the ears mate. I'll see how I go and if I have troubles, that sounds like a good solution.

I want to carve a stepped detail in the chin part as I think it looks more tech. The mistake I made with the first build was that I made the faceplate and helmet separate. This time I'm making them together and will cut them apart later. I am pretty handy with mechanics so I'm going to automate the faceplate opening later.

Cheers!

Baz.

G'day Tom,

Thanks for the suggestions with the ears mate. I'll see how I go and if I have troubles, that sounds like a good solution.

I want to carve a stepped detail in the chin part as I think it looks more tech. The mistake I made with the first build was that I made the faceplate and helmet separate. This time I'm making them together and will cut them apart later. I am pretty handy with mechanics so I'm going to automate the faceplate opening later.

Cheers!

Baz.

No worries mate and I am so jealous of you. I really wish I had the skills for the mechanics and not to mention the room in the helmet as foam doesn't leave me much for it. It's a shame really as I wouldn't need very big motors due to the weight of the foam. It's no biggy though as in the comics he doesn't have a mechanised visor anyway but the movie version would look super cool.

Watching closely, +1 subscription :)
Tom.

1. Second layer of body filler applied. Curing overnight. Shape looking a lot better now.
1AIM5.jpg

2. Face-off.
0CMbc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back