Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy mother of Tony Stark!! An iron man helmet made of metal!!! Really love the chin area >.< One question, how are you going to deal with the pepakura glue seam edges on the metal pieces?

I'm saving up for a TIG welder. I've been practicing welding at work so I'm skilling myself up a bit but I can't do any welding of personal projects at work. All seams and joins will be welded then filed and sanded back down to shape prior to anodising.

Someone get this man more road signs!!!!! Each stage of this build is that much more impressive. Needless to say, I will continue to watch with a keen eye!

Thanks man. :cool

SB

Faceplate cut and pre-polished.

udZHpLD.jpg

Oh my goodness....this is just fantastic!! Good luck on this one sir. :)

-Matt

Ta Matt.

I made a few tools today to help me shape the metal for Iron Man.

1. A short piece of an old post, reshaped into a mallet-head with a wide and narrow end, an old broken sledge handle, cut down to make a good handle for the mallet.

2. A thick piece of steel with a slot cut in it at the thickness of the aluminium I am using, then a spanner on the side to provide enough torque to bend the sheet-metal right on the line.

3. Finally, a short but thick piece of steel, shaped on the grinder to act as a battering ram to achieve very tight and precise curves.

cvdvgSL.jpg

These tabs all fold up to form a step to the next piece. The large blank bit in the middle needs to be cut out, but it is best to do that after the tabs have been bent. I'm thinking that instead of these clunky tabs, I will cut them all off and just cut a long flat strip, then curve it into a ring to form the circular step instead.

X3qWuO3.jpg

More helmet pieces cut from aluminium.

1Y2Z0Ms.jpg

Stupid Facebook has me programmed to look for the "Like" button!!! Seriously would if I could!

Are you going to do the frame layer under the armor and have you estimated how much the suits going to weigh

This is so cool looking. I can't wait to see it all welded up. :D

Might be a while, but I agree!

Are you going to do the frame layer under the armor and have you estimated how much the suits going to weigh

I am doing the whole thing in metal as I just did in cardboard, plus padding attachments, amimatronics and lighting. I routinely carry 20 to 30 kilograms on my back for hours on end while hiking up mountains. Even if the suit weighs twenty kilos, (which it won't) It will be distributed over my whole body instead of just on my shoulders.

It's aluminium. Light as a feather. The padding and bits inside will be heavier than the suit itself. My fibreglass and bondo helmet is heavier than this one.

The suit files I'm using are set at a default scale for a 6 foot male.

The helmet was too tight so I increased it by 15mm. Now it fits perfectly.

Here's a question...

If I increased my helmet scale factor by 15mm larger than the default scale, doies it then work to increase every part of the suit by 15mm? My mind is thinking no. If I add 15mm to a large part, it's not much of an increase, but if I add 15mm to a small part, then it's a huge difference...

Am I right?

In order to figure it out, you will need to scale. Find out the percentage increase the 15mm added to the helmet, then apply that to each piece. That way, everything will stay in proportion

In order to figure it out, you will need to scale. Find out the percentage increase the 15mm added to the helmet, then apply that to each piece. That way, everything will stay in proportion

Thanks man.

Have a look at the files below. At the default scale, the helmet is at a scale of 0.896666 and the abs are at 25.411754. Confusing much?

Y5L8WzZ.jpg

YcrnEFa.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back