Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best of luck man I picked welding up as a kid and man that stuff can be tricky but once you get it. The things you can do. My neighbor is going to teach me how to weld again so I could weld whatever. But over all smart choice in material because I don't think trying to deal with the smell and all the nasty stuff from stainless would be good idea and aluminum was the next best option.

I find spot welding, to hold it in shape, try and be evenly spaced, then weld from spot to spot, but take it slowly, dont want too much heat! i find doing top, then bottom, then top...etc helps stop warping

Best of luck man I picked welding up as a kid and man that stuff can be tricky but once you get it. The things you can do. My neighbor is going to teach me how to weld again so I could weld whatever. But over all smart choice in material because I don't think trying to deal with the smell and all the nasty stuff from stainless would be good idea and aluminum was the next best option.

Thanks man. I'm having a great time with it all.

I find spot welding, to hold it in shape, try and be evenly spaced, then weld from spot to spot, but take it slowly, dont want too much heat! i find doing top, then bottom, then top...etc helps stop warping

Thanks mate, I'll give that a go too!

SB.

WOW.
Just found this thread and I just went through all 61 pages looking at the pictures.
I must say, you have done an awesome job. I'm going to have to go back through and read all your posts and watch the videos now.
Fyi, I think your arc reactor looked amazing.

I cant wait to see how you round out the metal, or rather, I can't wait to see the results of it rounded and smoothed out.
Have you estimated the overall weight it will end up being?

Also, I must say, as I was scrolling through the thread, and it is possible that I accidentally missed them, but I don't think you ever posted pictures of you fully wearing each one of the first 2 suits you made. I would love to see some pics of how they turned out while being worn.

Have you considered motorizing the air-brakes that extend out while Iron man is flying?
That would be a pretty awesome addition to include. I only mention this because it seems as though you are an elite builder, and as such, it would be cool to see you go up and past suits that others make.

I came to the 405th from the Dented Helmet, where I was following a particular builder who made just the most amazing Iron Man helms, if I remember later, I will try and find the build page for the build I'm thinking of; the guy had a movie-accurate motorized face plate. It popped out and then slid up and it was awesome. If I could find it, I figured you'd be curious as to how another builder accomplished it.

Keep up the good work!
I can't wait to see more! :)

Subscribed AND Bookmarked ;)

EDIT: Found the link to the thread the guy made with the awesome faceplate hinge even though I totally cannot remember my password to the site.....:
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f22/check-out-my-iron-man-helmet-25664/
I'm sure there are better helmets out there these days, and maybe new awesome techniques in order to accomplish the movie-accurate helmet opening motion, but back in the day, this was the best thing I had ever seen.

WOW.
Just found this thread and I just went through all 61 pages looking at the pictures.

You read all 61 pages!? That's a big effort in itself! :)

Have you estimated the overall weight it will end up being?

I'm just taking a stab at the weight as I think the stuff in the suit will weigh more than the aluminium exterior itself. I reckon maybe 18kg total.

Also, I must say, as I was scrolling through the thread, and it is possible that I accidentally missed them, but I don't think you ever posted pictures of you fully wearing each one of the first 2 suits you made. I would love to see some pics of how they turned out while being worn.

Page 48 for some wearing of the fibreglass/rondo suit. I never put on the whole cardboard suit as it was only a template test for the aluminium build.

Have you considered motorizing the air-brakes that extend out while Iron man is flying?
That would be a pretty awesome addition to include. I only mention this because it seems as though you are an elite builder, and as such, it would be cool to see you go up and past suits that others make.

I don't like to procrastinate about what I'm going to do, but if I get the time and $$$ to do that, then yes, I would love to. I've already salvages some nice stainless steel mesh and other bits that might be suitable.

Not elite - just a noob. :D

Iron Man suit slowly progressing. Managed to get all the old paint off this second-hand aluminium. This is the armour at the lower back and around waist to meet up with the abdominal plates.

EL9KlHX.jpg

Iron Man suit slowly progressing. Managed to get all the old paint off this second-hand aluminium. This is the armour at the lower back and around waist to meet up with the abdominal plates.

EL9KlHX.jpg
I cant remember if you said or not, but will you be able to cope with the weight of the aluminum suit?

I cant remember if you said or not, but will you be able to cope with the weight of the aluminum suit?

By comparison, his suit will likely be much lighter than that of a medieval knight's full suit since they didn't have access to lightweight metals and probably would have avoided them even if they did. Pretty sure a knight's helm could weigh 20+ pounds. A spartan's shield weighed at least 30 pounds. All these individuals trained their whole lives to be able to withstand the weight of the heavy armor and equipment. Even if you aren't in peak shape, hammering away and building your own metal suit would definitely strengthen you up. For some, they might need to do some squats and leg presses to improve their load capacity. Otherwise, it mostly will come down to how he straps everything and how he supports it all with his body. While strapping the belt to the shoulder harness would be beneficial so the belt doesn't fall down, I would say that it would be best to keep the straps loose so that the belt will still support the lower half to an extent and it wont all be supported by his shoulders. As for the shoulders, I would definitely use bands as wide as possible without compromising comfort.
Just my $0.02.

EDIT: Oops, he totally responded as I was typing this lol.

^^^^ The heaviest part of the suit will be the lining and all the batteries, servos, hinges etc. The aluminium is light as a feather!

The joys of second-hand donated aluminium...

Managed to get all the old powder-coating off the aluminium abdominal armour plates today. Next - a quick polish and start shaping and joining.

4zyJAJB.jpg

Re: Sandbagger's Iron Man build

Looks like I may have to halt production on the aluminium build and switch to steel before I get too far. I don't have access to a suitable TIG welder and can't afford to buy one.

I do, however, have plenty of access to a good MIG welder and have been using it for weeks. Steel would be just as easy to work with as aluminium and I can weld steel no worries. I'll cut up some steel sheet and do a faceplate to see how it goes.

Stay tuned.

Looks like I may have to halt production on the aluminium build and switch to steel before I get too far. I don't have access to a suitable TIG welder and can't afford to buy one.

I do, however, have plenty of access to a good MIG welder and have been using it for weeks. Steel would be just as easy to work with as aluminium and I can weld steel no worries. I'll cut up some steel sheet and do a faceplate to see how it goes.
Stay tuned.

Ahh that's totally understandable and I would be in the same position as you if I were to start a metal project! Can't wait to see some pieces welded up!

So, as no one has a TIG welder I can use to weld aluminium, I have decided to change materials AGAIN, to steel. I have access to a MIG welder plus I can MIG weld pretty well.

Before I go cutting shapes and building a faceplate again, here is a trial cut and weld of an old steel plate. First, clean it up then cut a small test piece, then beat a bit of a curve in it, then cut a 1mm slot in it, then weld the slot up, then grind it smooth again.

hd8pjRX.jpg

Test sample steel plate.

boYpgY2.jpg

Beaten into a bit of a curve then a 1mm cut in it.

GQR1sTK.jpg

1mm cut welded up and ground smooth. This all took nearly five minutes.

5ivUCdt.jpg

One issue I have is the RPM of my bandsaw which is 1200rpm. My current blade has been cutting aluminium sheet like it's not even there! I've just ordered a special blade for the bandsaw. Once it arrives, I'll get a sheet of 1.2mm steel and start some pieces.

Amazing work, all around. You are one of the most committed people I have ever seen. I would have given up two suits ago!

Might be able to keep going with the aluminium build after all!

A very generous and total stranger has just offered his TIG welder to me to construct my Iron Man suit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back