Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Sandbagger's Iron Man build

Those fingers look really good. How are you planning to fill the joints on the hands?

I'm looking at bending over the edges slightly to make it look thicker, plus I will be modifying every one of them with little pieces welded in to cover the joints. Probably fit them over a red leather glove. We'll see.

SB

- - - Updated - - -

You must be making Tony Stark proud with this build. Amazing work. :cool

Thank you sir.

holy smokes! this looks amazing! i'm subscribing to this thread to stay updated!

Cheers mate!

Fabrication ramping up! Hopefully I'll get the helmet all welded up tomorrow.

aa6FaT5.jpg

Looks awesome!

From experience I'd use wool padding instead of foam inside a metal helm, as many foams can squash to almost nothing, allowing your head to impact on the metal inside anyway.

Looks awesome!

From experience I'd use wool padding instead of foam inside a metal helm, as many foams can squash to almost nothing, allowing your head to impact on the metal inside anyway.

Interesting! I'll look into that. Thanks!

I got the helmet spot-welded up today.

ysNhgr1.jpg

3BTrflM.jpg

Looking really good! Based on how it's spot welded, the face plate won't be opening on this one?

This is awesome SB! RobotChicken, he may have just tacked the faceplate in place so that everything keeps it's shape while he finishes welding the rest of the seams, then grind the spot welds away to remove it later. Just a guess though. Either way, it'll be super cool. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

You are correct. Yes, the faceplate will be cut off later but first I have to get the whole lot matched, shaped, welded up then I can cut the spots holding the faceplate off.

SB

That's some impressive welding.

Thanks mate.

I only got ten minutes to work on this today. Here's a back view showing the seams all welded up, then ground back using an angle grinder and grind-wheel first, followed up with a flap disk.

I1Dr23P.jpg

ejw8Djj.jpg

With the whole disaster of your aluminum welding attempts, I just have to say that you are a freaking tank when it comes to moving past a roadblock. I would have probably sat down in the floor of my garage, cried like a baby, and would have thrown everything in to the recycling bin. You are a beast. I applaud you, sir.

With the whole disaster of your aluminum welding attempts, I just have to say that you are a freaking tank when it comes to moving past a roadblock. I would have probably sat down in the floor of my garage, cried like a baby, and would have thrown everything in to the recycling bin. You are a beast. I applaud you, sir.

I've trashed the garage and cried like a baby on many occasions over this thing.... :p

Thanks for the encouragement mate!

SB.

First off, awesome build. Really incredible work here.

I realize i'm new and this thread has been going on for a while so if i mention something that's been covered, i apologize. I restore classic cars, so i've welded a lot of old sheetmetal and there's one tip a friend showed me has made my life so much easier. If you hold a piece of copper behind the joint your welding it will help dissipate heat and help reduce any heat warping. Also if there's a gap in the joint you can fill it up with wire and the wire won't stick to the copper. So once it's welded, remove the copper backing and you're golden. Just don't hold the copper with your hands, it gets really, really hot.

If i remember correctly you said your band saw speed was around 1200rpm. Do you have a pulley set up or gear reduction on the band saw?

Oh yea, and don't feel bad about the aluminum. I've been welding for 15 years and still can't do aluminum, it's an art of its own.

First off, awesome build. Really incredible work here.

I realize i'm new and this thread has been going on for a while so if i mention something that's been covered, i apologize. I restore classic cars, so i've welded a lot of old sheetmetal and there's one tip a friend showed me has made my life so much easier. If you hold a piece of copper behind the joint your welding it will help dissipate heat and help reduce any heat warping. Also if there's a gap in the joint you can fill it up with wire and the wire won't stick to the copper. So once it's welded, remove the copper backing and you're golden. Just don't hold the copper with your hands, it gets really, really hot.

If i remember correctly you said your band saw speed was around 1200rpm. Do you have a pulley set up or gear reduction on the band saw?

Oh yea, and don't feel bad about the aluminum. I've been welding for 15 years and still can't do aluminum, it's an art of its own.

Thanks for the tips mate. I'm getting pretty good with the MIG on the 1mm stuff now and aren't having any problems with blow-through at all. My bandsaw is one speed, (Cheap Ryobi from Bunnings) but I got a good bimetal blade with 14TPI and it seems to be cutting beautifully after a run-in. No probs there so far.

Yeah, on the aluminium welding... I'm quite happy to leave that to better men than me. :)

Baz.

- - - Updated - - -

Collar plate, hand plate and hip pod.

aDXBFtC.jpg

t8zA2Or.jpg

BEdL1ZO.jpg

Thanks for the tips mate. I'm getting pretty good with the MIG on the 1mm stuff now and aren't having any problems with blow-through at all. My bandsaw is one speed, (Cheap Ryobi from Bunnings) but I got a good bimetal blade with 14TPI and it seems to be cutting beautifully after a run-in. No probs there so far.

Yeah, on the aluminium welding... I'm quite happy to leave that to better men than me. :)

Baz.

Those bimetal blades work great, and Ryobi tools are cheap, but i've got a bunch of them that are still working after years of abuse.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers fellas.

Cleaning up the welds a bit more tonight. Getting the edges tidy on the cascading segments at the back of the helmet.

Cn1oAof.jpg

xPYVTMB.jpg

I've tried getting into these corners with a file, a flap disk, a Dremel and sandpaper. It's hard work and very slow going. Can anyone reccomend a good tool to get into this? An electric reciprocating mini-file would be awesome!

SfvsVa0.jpg

A small cut off wheel (i use a 3 inch, i don't know what that would be in metric) and just use the edge of it. It's risky because if you slip you can cut a hole rite thru the metal, it works well for 90 degree edges though.

Oh and they do make air files that reciprocate, i've never used one though.

Thanks mate.

Today I got a few hours in the shed finally. I got half way through the job and broke another bloody bandsaw blade. Same as before, cutting beautifully for hours then snaps when I turn it off and it begins to slow down. This is costing me a small fortune in blades at $40 a pop!

Anyway, I grabbed my aviation snips and went manual. I'm going to get very strong hands like this.

q3fVyyQ.jpg

1feSXn4.jpg

q2N6KVv.jpg

c7oQA0m.jpg

l7087CC.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back