Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew there was a reason why I kept my old crappy first attempt at a helmet... TO TEST PAINT SCHEMES ON! :p

So, what do you think? The Copper and Chrome?

AWv8J.jpg

Or..the Metallic Red and Chrome?

MvUIY.jpg

And here's the good helmet getting it's final preparation coats applied.

feKWS.jpg

I definitely like the metallic red and chrome A LOT more than the copper and chrome. It gives a more true to comic feel if you're going for that. The copper and chrome one feels like if I was playing Marvel vs Capcom and I happened to pick one of warmachine's alternate colors LOL. Anyways, great job and keep up the good work!

Decided to go for the Copper faceplate with the classic metallic red helmet. I think it was a good decision.

Here it is with the first coat applied.

mlggn.jpg

OeNMN.jpg

fLosh.jpg

gCbZf.jpg

Three coats now. Think I might give it one more in the morning before clear-coating it, just to be sure!

nIhfC.jpg

You and I are going to get to know one another very well over the next few months while I build the rest of you!

Ku5Uz.jpg

Thanks dudes.

Final coats done, ready for clear coat. I still have to mask off the bottom lip and paint that copper too.

GLLKF.jpg

AvDgY.jpg

i love your job and for that i give this :

and this xD

Thanks mate! I return your salute!

Now onto the electronics...

1. Building on the cheap - desoldering the LED lights from the circuit-board of the head of an old torch.

LL7U7.jpg

2. Re-wiring each LED for use inside the helmet.
FbvHa.jpg

3. Cut-outs for the eyes. Lenses - old broken Oakley sunglasses. Surrounds - milk carton plastic covered in black electrical tape.
th91x.jpg

4. Lace mesh from an old gift decoration. Sandwiched between lens and plastic surround.
irKVn.jpg

5. View from behind illuminated lens.
sq90F.jpg

6. Bonding silicone to secure and seal the eye lenses in.
L8L3u.jpg

7. Front view of completed lens.
MHQ4z.jpg

8. Test illumination with a single LED light. There will be two LEDs per eye.
kTn1n.jpg

Thanks man.

Finally took the good camera into the shed...

Painted the bottom lip to match the faceplate.

xQyLZ.jpg

B3mf4.jpg

XF7RD.jpg

J55y6.jpg

9UsG9.jpg

and it all started from this...
ZNu3e.jpg

Jeeeeeeeez gorgeous work there!

Does the mesh give good visibility with the lights on? And have you decided on a mechanism for lifting of the faceplate?

Jeeeeeeeez gorgeous work there!

Does the mesh give good visibility with the lights on? And have you decided on a mechanism for lifting of the faceplate?

looks awesome! hows the vision through those eye lenses?
As you know, peripheral vision is non-existent in theses masks, but with the mesh over the glass, visibility is poorer still. You can see well enough to get around, but you might have troubles with the eye-chart at your local licencing registry if you wear it while doing your test.....

Have you considered other alternatives, like tinted or frosted acrylic?

Have you considered other alternatives, like tinted or frosted acrylic?

Not yet. I'm pretty much building with whatever I have laying around for the moment. As I get onto the rest of the suit, I may modify the eyes. Silicone is easy to trim and remove when the time comes.

one option I've worn is to cut the lenses out of clear plastic and then put latex from a glove over it leaving a thin view port at the bottom to se out of. Personally I thought it was rubbish because you couldn't see a thing out of it but the advantage was it looked accurate. Imo what you've done here looks damn good and if you can see out of it but its just not perfect then i'd stick with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back