Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, your continued supreme awesomeness seriously makes me want to cry, but in a good way! :)

LOL! I wouldn't go that far, but thanks. :)

One of the difficult challenges of an anatomically incorrect superhero with impossible proportions is making the suit fit without having to change the whole thing. When you scale this suit in the program that prints it, if you change the scale you change the whole thing! If I scaled up to widen at the waist, I could fit two of my bums in the rest.

My simple fix - only adjust it where you need to, AFTER scaling. My cardboard suit is perfect for making such adjustments. Cut it open, add thin strips where needed and problem solved!

Now all I have to do is the same on my steel suit. Only ten minutes work in it too! Bonus!

WJCAy1F.jpg

sSIVHE6.jpg

P5Vozau.jpg

Tonight I tried to experiment with a bit of a hybrid idea for the gauntlets. Not sure if I will go for all foam then dip in red plasti-dip, or use the metal fingers I've already made.

1kUsJqi.jpg

nxtbsdS.jpg

S0B6rNR.jpg

OH0GUfQ.jpg

WqTMLGQ.jpg

Glove looks good, but the foam part seems a teeeeny bit bulky near the thumb and inbetween the fingers on that 'back of the hand' picture.

Thanks guys. As I said, the gloves are EXPERIMENTAL! No where near the finished product. I'm just playing with ideas until I'm happy. More to follow on that later.

First four attachment-points in the suit's bolt-together system. I've welded in a short extension on each side then welded two sets of tabs on each side. That way the back piece slips in between two layers of steel and bolts into place. The flat nut on the inside is welded into place then ground smooth. There's a little bit of room in there for some lining yet.

PdnkdFv.jpg

Abdominal armour fits. Now to widen codpiece to match.

xYmrSFw.jpg

Thanks chief. :)

The hands really are the hardest part. The more rigid you make them, the harder they are to get on and off and the less range of motion you can have in them.

This is the sixth gauntlet I have made and I'm really getting sick of it. At least they are getting neater with practice.

This time I used 3mm closed-cell foam sheet. It's not finished, but once I've worked it all out I will be dipping the whole thing in plasti-dip, which will seal and lock it all together.

rXidWAX.jpg

NKuOzgx.jpg

Amazing work buddy, but see what you mean about the movement and the fact that it will be stuck on your hand forever :-/

I bet when you were working on the massive chest piece you didn't think the tiny hand pieces would be more work lol :)

Amazing work buddy, but see what you mean about the movement and the fact that it will be stuck on your hand forever :-/

I bet when you were working on the massive chest piece you didn't think the tiny hand pieces would be more work lol :)

Getting the hands right makes the chest and back pieces look like child's play. I thought the chest and back were actually very simple. I think the hardest part so far besides the hands have been the shins.

There sadly isn't a way to spam the like button enough... beautiful work, sir. The orangish tint in the photos looks most interesting too :p

There sadly isn't a way to spam the like button enough... beautiful work, sir. The orangish tint in the photos looks most interesting too :p

Thanks mate. That orange tint is a normal part of heating steel. Straw yellow shows the metal was heated, but not as hot as the blue coloured areas. Unless you are talking about the rust marks where I got a leak in my shed roof dripping on the shoulder and hand-plate.....

SB

Gotta say, I love the look of the raw steel after you've cleaned the weld lines. I also really like the look of the thinner foam palm/backhand piece and the metal finger plates.

Maybe if we all believe enough... It'll fly...
This is AWESOME! As if your older version wasn't awesome enough, you take it leaps and bounds ahead by making a metal version! That is just awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back