Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just effing ridiculous. It's basically just steel pep welded on the inside, right? I think I missed where you talked about patterns and templating.

This is just effing ridiculous. It's basically just steel pep welded on the inside, right? I think I missed where you talked about patterns and templating.

Much of it is welded on the outside. It's easier to clean up the welds and fill in the seams and gaps that way. The files are JF Custom's modified ROBO3687 files. Helmet files by Sharkhead7854.

SB

Thanks mate. That orange tint is a normal part of heating steel. Straw yellow shows the metal was heated, but not as hot as the blue coloured areas. Unless you are talking about the rust marks where I got a leak in my shed roof dripping on the shoulder and hand-plate.....

SB
I meant along those seams... really makes it pop. This one looks definitely more dangerous than the Mk. II from the movies. :p

Much of it is welded on the outside. It's easier to clean up the welds and fill in the seams and gaps that way. The files are JF Custom's modified ROBO3687 files. Helmet files by Sharkhead7854.

SB

Ah, ok. I love the parts that are all polished up, was drooling over them this morning. Just magnificent.

Today I cut out all the parts for Iron Man's biceps ready for folding and welding.

I've also cut and flattened all the parts for the remaining thigh, (not pictured).

My hands are covered in blisters from the aviation snips so I'll have to give cutting a rest for a couple of days while they heal.

HiFj3Zc.jpg

Also got everything done on both gauntlets including a PVC ring glued in and ground down to just proud of the palm surface. These will be fitted over cotton gloves then the whole shebang painted with a thin layer of plastidip to seal it, followed by a nice thick dunk in the stuff to lock it all in together.

8DR5DHm.jpg

Oh man, Sandbagger! This really makes me wish I had access to sheet metal and welding equipment!

holy christ the level of detail here...I know you've heard it before but this is incredible!

I'm floor boarded every time I look in on this thread. I'm guessing my eyes will pop out of my skull once its 100% done and you show us pics of you running around saving the world in it.

wow bags. you are almost there! It is looking so awesome man I mean wow! I so can't wait for all the welding and other stuff to be done and you get it all painted. Bravo man.

I notice you're welding the biceps solid rather than riveted scales. I thought this was to be wearable? Is that not going to seriously constrict arm movement?

Thanks guys.
RobTC - Not sure what you mean. I've not seen any IM bicep done with, "riveted scales" and not even sure how they would help. The MKIV suit doesn't show anything other than a single piece. It is free at the shoulder and hinged at the elbow. The cardboard prototype I made before this one fitted well and allowed sufficient movement for me to scratch my nose or have a drink.

I would be very interested to see an example of your riveted scales. :)

SB

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys.
@RobTC - Not sure what you mean. I've not seen any IM bicep done with, "riveted scales" and not even sure how they would help. The MKIV suit doesn't show anything other than a single piece. It is free at the shoulder and hinged at the elbow. The cardboard prototype I made before this one fitted well and allowed sufficient movement for me to scratch my nose or have a drink.

I would be very interested to see an example of your riveted scales. :)

SB

I always assumed those indents were intended to show sliding plates in order to allow a greater range of elbow movement. If it works as a solid piece, it works, I guess- mediaeval armour had solid upper arms too.

The best example of that general kind of motion I was describing would probably be multi-section pauldrons that allow the arms to be fully raised, but fall substantially below the delts when relaxed. Each section slides under the one above it. I don't know if I can think of another example off-hand.

I always assumed those indents were intended to show sliding plates in order to allow a greater range of elbow movement. If it works as a solid piece, it works, I guess- mediaeval armour had solid upper arms too.

The best example of that general kind of motion I was describing would probably be multi-section pauldrons that allow the arms to be fully raised, but fall substantially below the delts when relaxed. Each section slides under the one above it. I don't know if I can think of another example off-hand.

What costumes have you done? If you haven't worn an Iron man suit, you might not be familiar with how it moves. The bicep merely covers that part of your arm. Your shoulder is still free to rotate, raise and lower with this piece on. There is no need to attach it to anything rigid. At most, all you need is a stretchy strap connected to the shoulder to keep it from falling down your arm. The shoulder bell covers the top of the shoulder above the bicep armour and likewise does not have to be rigidly attached. It seems to work well. Having cascading armour on a part of your body that doesn't bend is unnecessary and wasteful complication.

I hope that makes sense.

SB

What costumes have you done? If you haven't worn an Iron man suit, you might not be familiar with how it moves. The bicep merely covers that part of your arm. Your shoulder is still free to rotate, raise and lower with this piece on. There is no need to attach it to anything rigid. At most, all you need is a stretchy strap connected to the shoulder to keep it from falling down your arm. The shoulder bell covers the top of the shoulder above the bicep armour and likewise does not have to be rigidly attached. It seems to work well. Having cascading armour on a part of your body that doesn't bend is unnecessary and wasteful complication.

I hope that makes sense.

SB

No costuming yet, very little has caught my attention and I don't know how much I'm into the foam and pepakura thing. My only costume goals have ever been steel/alu Iron Man and SPARTAN armor (for like the last 8 years!), maybe something from Skyrim on the "lightweight" front for cons or events, I dunno. I'm more into props than costumes- I like a "thing" that can be "built" and then it's an "entity", y'know? Though I tend to think your steel suit will definitely have its own presence, human inside or not!

It makes sense, and I'm inclined to agree, though being the way I am I'd likely try to build it as it's supposed to be rather than as it practically needs to be. :p Whether that would actually result in substantially increased elbow range of motion or not, I have no idea. My ultimate goal has always been to have my suits fully lit and animatronic, with all the flaps and submechanics and everything that'll fit in there with an actual person inside. It's a Herculean pipe dream, but I still think someday in the next decade or so I'll get it started.

Making a tube around a part of your body that doesn't bend makes no difference if you make the tube articulated and fancy. You still can't bend your upper arm or forearm. They bend at the joints, not in the middle.

Good luck with your build. Why wait? Start now. :D Seriously.

The final pieces cut out for the Iron Man suit. Forearm and elbow armour.

Once these are done, it's time to start modifying it all to wear!

wbwg5t8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back