Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Making a tube around a part of your body that doesn't bend makes no difference if you make the tube articulated and fancy. You still can't bend your upper arm or forearm. They bend at the joints, not in the middle.

Good luck with your build. Why wait? Start now. :D Seriously.

The final pieces cut out for the Iron Man suit. Forearm and elbow armour.

Once these are done, it's time to start modifying it all to wear!

http://i.imgur.com/wbwg5t8.jpg

It's not so much that it bends in the middle, but the length of the "tube" changes depending on the bend angle. Think about how much your bicep contracts from fully eccentric to fully concentric. Probably a good two inches. If you build that tolerance into the suit, then there's no need for articulation (though it's not technically articulation, I wish I could think of the word for "sliding sections"). I actually just Googled it and there's no such design in later suits, so I guess this was entirely a moot point. LOL

Cost of sheet metal, cost of robotics, cost of a decent welder... The usual. :p

Can't wait to see all this laid out!

Forearm done today. One to go.

hZsSVQA.jpg

I always come back to this thread out of jealousy because you give off so much inspiration to put one's skills to test. :$

That looks awesome, Sand! I'd love to see it fit on you right like it is, haha!

I've been working in secret on a gift for my wife for Christmas. I saw the idea online somewhere and embellished on it a little.

The mini-arc-reactor pendant is just the rearranged parts of an internal hard drive motor. I bought a single LED, some thin insulated wire and a 3V battery, along with some beads in Iron Man colours from the local 2Dollar store.

The battery has a soft cover to hide behind her hair, but not pictured here.

a4XxptJ.jpg

L2qVU2U.jpg

Most important and got it right this time! I can bend my arm enough to replenish fluids by myself during the long gigs in a steel suit! Rock on!

rYMR9Hl.jpg

Legs are a fantastic fit. I can bend to 90 degrees, there's room for padding too. I have to pull them up slightly to get them off the ankles and up into the crutch more, so some nylon straps will fix them to the hip pods to sort that out.

nmv2s6A.jpg

gfVQBIP.jpg

Killer bags! It look awesome man! looks like this is gonna be one hell of a finished product.

Makes me feel good that others are enjoying this nearly as much as I am! Cheers mate!

Neck/collar now has break-apart attachment points to fit me. Ready to sand, paint and fit soft lining inside.

BerxJ8b.jpg

I enjoy coming back from a nice holiday to find so many builds and updates. You sir, are doing a fantastic job. :cool

Ta mate. :D

I started mods to the helmet today. I separated the faceplate by cracking the spot welds with a fine and sharp cold-chisel on the anvil.

I welded in some edging to make the helmet look like it's made of heavier material. Most of this I did before separating the faceplate to minimise distortion due to welding heat. Some of it I had to do after because there simply wasn't enough room to get the welding gun in there.

Added the last section at the back of the helmet that swings up to allow the head in then locks behind the back of the neck.

grtVP1F.jpg

9Wyea2A.jpg

3psRqbU.jpg

rmHzxWl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back