Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's refused to answer the weight total, but i'm guessing now that it stands on it's on m o.o m that it would be easy to place it on a scale and find out the weight. :) I'm curious too as I plan on building an aluminum master chief.

He's refused to answer the weight total, but i'm guessing now that it stands on it's on m o.o m that it would be easy to place it on a scale and find out the weight. :) I'm curious too as I plan on building an aluminum master chief.

I never said I'd refuse to answer, it's just a question that gets asked A LOT. It weighs in at around 35kg, with a third of that being in the legs and feet which are supported on the ground, not on the suit. Many folks hang the legs off the cod piece where I have opted for ground support, that way the only time I have to lift it is when I walk.

I'm sorry if I spoke out of turn, It just seemed like you refused to answer the weight question, because it was asked so much. I didn't mean to infer that you would never answer it.
Course answering it early on would have been mute anyway because you didn't have enough of the suit done to get an accurate measurement.
Thank you for finally answering it though!! :)

I'm really curious how you did the struts in the feet to shins, I'm guessing I'll need to do something very similar to my metal chief suit and would love some foresight. :)

75lbs doesn't seem to bad, my current rubies (plastic) suit with prop weapons and now water cooling system is clocking in around 50-55 lbs.

I'm sorry if I spoke out of turn, It just seemed like you refused to answer the weight question, because it was asked so much. I didn't mean to infer that you would never answer it.
Course answering it early on would have been mute anyway because you didn't have enough of the suit done to get an accurate measurement.
Thank you for finally answering it though!! :)

I'm really curious how you did the struts in the feet to shins, I'm guessing I'll need to do something very similar to my metal chief suit and would love some foresight. :)

75lbs doesn't seem to bad, my current rubies (plastic) suit with prop weapons and now water cooling system is clocking in around 50-55 lbs.

It's all good bloke. Just a question that gets asked a lot that's all. I have to accept that people want to know and that's cool. It's in my signature now so that should stop the repeat questions.

All I've done with the struts is welded them to the side of the boot, long enough to come to the same point where my ankle inside pivots. Drilled a hole in the outside of the bottom of the shin and poked a bolt through.

- - - Updated - - -

G'day my loyal minions. Here's an update for you.

My wonderful wife helped me get the legs and boots on for a test walk in the modified joints.

Now the legs are supported on steel struts welded to the boots and pivoting at the ankles. The knees have been silenced with washers in between the joints and the flight control flaps at the ankle have been hinged. They will be spring-loaded at a later date. The boots now have rubber soles to protect the floor.

Here's video and some photos.

gK28Djp.jpg

cnvZlgl.jpg

yTyC54e.jpg

ovBNxLn.jpg

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/d_Auc3Djd1k[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all good bloke. Just a question that gets asked a lot that's all. I have to accept that people want to know and that's cool. It's in my signature now so that should stop the repeat questions.

All I've done with the struts is welded them to the side of the boot, long enough to come to the same point where my ankle inside pivots. Drilled a hole in the outside of the bottom of the shin and poked a bolt through.

- - - Updated - - -

G'day my loyal minions. Here's an update for you.

My wonderful wife helped me get the legs and boots on for a test walk in the modified joints.

Now the legs are supported on steel struts welded to the boots and pivoting at the ankles. The knees have been silenced with washers in between the joints and the flight control flaps at the ankle have been hinged. They will be spring-loaded at a later date. The boots now have rubber soles to protect the floor.

Here's video and some photos.

http://i.imgur.com/gK28Djp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cnvZlgl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yTyC54e.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ovBNxLn.jpg

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/d_Auc3Djd1k[/YOUTUBE]

That's awesome, sandbagger! Kinda heavy... Perhaps, you could figure out a way of making your own sort of powered exoskeleton like the government is making for soldiers, to make it easier to walk around in?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's awesome, sandbagger! Kinda heavy... Perhaps, you could figure out a way of making your own sort of powered exoskeleton like the government is making for soldiers, to make it easier to walk around in?

No, it's actually not heavy at all. It's very easy to wear and get around in. Some limited movement of course, it's a rigid exoskeleton - we all have to accept that fact in this game.

I don't know why people keep saying 35-40kgs is heavy. It's not. My camera and camping backpack is nearly 30 kgs and I often trudge all day up mountains with it on my back. All the weight of that is on my shoulders and it hurts after a while. This suit is spread over my whole body and a third of the weight is in the legs, supported on the ground via the boots.

Look, knights in armour a few centuries ago were riding horses in full armour and fighting battles in it. Their metal was a lot heavier than the luxury of 0.95 mild steel that I have available to me. They managed.

Meanwhile, in the real world. Powered exoskeletons are ridiculously expensive in the millions of dollars. Not to mention computer control, a power source. If the American military R&D/Darpa/Boston Dynamics etc still haven't got it right, there's no way I'm going to be doing anything like in my workshop with a drill and some hammers.

SB.

Now that I've heard the legs, I totally want to hear how clanky you are in the full suit!
Love it!

It has been a while since I have checked in on your build. I just have to say, this has gone way beyond EPIC. Left it far behind, with a thick cloud of dust in its tracks! The look, the sound, the attention to detail... speechless (good thing I am typing rather than talking, 'cause all you would hear is the sound of drool leaving my mouth as my jaw is on the floor :) )

35kg (77lbs) is really not that much, especially when you will keep getting injections of adrenaline from all of the attention, smiles, and "oohs 'n' ahhs" you will be getting.

Simply outstanding work!

It has been a while since I have checked in on your build. I just have to say, this has gone way beyond EPIC. Left it far behind, with a thick cloud of dust in its tracks! The look, the sound, the attention to detail... speechless (good thing I am typing rather than talking, 'cause all you would hear is the sound of drool leaving my mouth as my jaw is on the floor :) )

35kg (77lbs) is really not that much, especially when you will keep getting injections of adrenaline from all of the attention, smiles, and "oohs 'n' ahhs" you will be getting.

Simply outstanding work!

Thanks very much for your wonderful encouragement mate. Now I can lift 70Kgs! :p

Baz.

So, I've designed some little steel features to add to the suit to make it look more tech and set it apart from so many other suits that leave out detail and therefore look plain. I have a machinist doing it for me because it wouldn't be appropriate for me to use the lathe at work at the moment.

This guy is way better than me anyway.

I gave him simple drawings with a few guidelines only.

He's just dropped off all bar two pieces. (I have to get him some more steel). They look brilliant. Toe pivots, knee joints, elbows, shoulders front and back.

8frQehw.jpg

Looking great, as usual.

Thanks man.

Thanks dudes.

At the moment I have a leather seamstress up in Sydney making me the shiny leather under-gloves for the suit, so I am making her a knife. (Scottish Dirk). So whilst I'm not exactly working on the suit, at least I can sit on the welding machine in the shed with the little fan-heater on and carve and grind away all day.

SeBEGku.jpg

8l2B40U.jpg

vJxrkRT.jpg

SB.

Gosh that is one lovely looking sword.

Thanks, it's a traditional blade called a Scottish Dirk. Not quite a dagger and not quite a sword. Made for impaling your enemy through the abdomen and severing the spinal cord. Nasty.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still hopping along on a crook foot, (nearly broke it) but I brought an office chair on wheels into the workshop after work today and got a bit of welding done around the table. One foot on the ground, the other knee on the chair. It works.

Started with an arm and shoulder, welding on the new component detailed features.

CLUmQMv.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back