Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang, sorry to hear that bro!

That's OK. It has provided an interesting side-benefit. I went over the helmet again with the red, only to find the red turning darker and darker. The lid on the can is a real metallic red, which is what the paint should be. Unexpectantly, where I sprayed the red over the gold lip, the metallic red is REALLY metallic! So, what I am doing now is experimenting. I have sprayed the whole helmet now with gold. I'll do a couple of layers to make the colour gold consistent all over then over-spray with the metallic red again. Should come up a treat. All I will have to do then is mask off around the lip again and spray the lip gold only.

Oh, and it turns out the gold and red are enamels, while the clear coat I bought is acrylic. Didn't see that....Lesson learned, pay attention to the fine print when buying paint. I'm no stranger to painting and I should have known better. Time for a self-administered uppercut.

Well, I fixed the clear-coat incompatibility disaster. I sprayed the whole helmet with metallic copper, then put the metallic red over that. Huge difference and improvement.

Someone asked for a bit of a view from the inside looking out too.
Kg3y7.jpg
JHbtW.jpg

m4iT5.jpg

ZSQ4d.jpg

Looking real nice man, tres Bon! Glad you managed to fix the lid.
The eyes have more visibility than I thought they would. Much more than the slit version I will be using.

Keep up the good work,
Tom.

Looking real nice man, tres Bon! Glad you managed to fix the lid.
The eyes have more visibility than I thought they would. Much more than the slit version I will be using.

Keep up the good work,
Tom.

Thanks Tom.

I need more to do now so I thought I would get started on the rest of the armour. I thought I would work my way down so I am starting at the neck.

Any idea how I would scale this one?

kQoBv.jpg

I don't know how to scale this one, but here's an idea... Why not make it out of cloth?

Get a good duck cloth for the base, perhaps a cotton/rayon for the actual neck pieces. Print out the patterns without tabs and add 5/8" around each piece for seam allowance. The stand-up details can be thin craft foam glued or sewn onto it. That way, you have the flexibility AND the detail. Add a hidden zipper to the back with the little notches in the back hiding velcro or snaps to keep it closed and fully hidden.

It's a hard one to scale but this is how I did it. I concentrated on the neck as this is the bit that needs to be right not the colar. I measured the width of my neck lets say 150mm. I then zoomed on my monitor till the whole pieces width measured 100mm (yes measure the image on the screen with a ruler). Then measure the width of the neck top (it's the thinnest part) on the screen, let's say 60mm. So the neck is 60% of the whole width. Take 150/60=2.5 then 2.5x100=250. So this means the neck+colar should be 250mm in width.

I think that's right 0_o

Hope that made sense,
Tom.

This is pretty awesome. I really like the pattern you used for the eye lighting. Hope your wife doesnt roll her eyes too much. haha

visibility is looking good out of that faceplate buddy. I just had a go at doing mine using clear plastic and mosquito net. Works great and visibility is excellent but gotta tweak it a bit. You gave me some inspiration towards that so want to thank you and wish you luck on the rest of your build :D

mike

You know this is just me, but I think making the neck piece out of foamies would prolly be the best option, somewhat flexible, thin. Should be good.

I don't like it...

HA, I am a terrible liar! This is freakin' INCREDIBLE. If THIS is the "noob"ery I have to compete with here, hoooooooo boy...

I only hope my Zer0 helmet can turn out half as good as your ironman helmet, WELL DONE!

I love the re-paint! The metallic undercoat really brought out the beauty in the red. Anxious to see what you do next!

Thanks blokes! I am pretty happy with it, turning out way better than I had first envisaged. I hope my sharing of mistakes is as helpful as my successes.

It's a hard one to scale but this is how I did it. I concentrated on the neck as this is the bit that needs to be right not the colar. I measured the width of my neck lets say 150mm. I then zoomed on my monitor till the whole pieces width measured 100mm (yes measure the image on the screen with a ruler). Then measure the width of the neck top (it's the thinnest part) on the screen, let's say 60mm. So the neck is 60% of the whole width. Take 150/60=2.5 then 2.5x100=250. So this means the neck+colar should be 250mm in width.

I think that's right 0_o

Hope that made sense,
Tom.

Kind of... why, if your neck is 150 across, do you make the width 250? That's an extra ten centimetres. Doesn't it end up being wider than the bottom of the helmet? Shouldn't it end up hidden high up under the helmet so you can't see skin?

How do you get your head through it to wear it?

1. The measurements weren't true I just made them up to explain it. I don't recall the exact measurements.
2. The neck is slightly thinner at the top than the bottom.
3. I left the side of my neck seal where the detailing is open with snap fasteners to clip it shut. When I get home from work I will draw a diagram that will probably be easier to understand.

Ironman neck scaling guide :)

neck.jpg

First get your neck on screen like the image above. Zoom till "B" is 100mm across on screen then measure "A" (about 56mm, my office light wasn't on and I have lots of junk in the way of the light switch). You now know your neck opening is 56% of the total width "B". We will call the percentage "C". So the equation is A/C X 100=B. So measure your RL neck width, mine is 140mm including the thickness of my foam. 140/56X100=250. So the total width of my neck piece is 250mm.

Hope this should sort out your problem :)

Tom.

Edit: You may want to add a little to YOUR neck width so you have a bit of space in there or you might find it a little tight. I think I added 10mm so there is a 5mm gap all the way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back