Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
People have been asking me what tools I use to shape my metal. Although I occasionally get access to some advanced machinery, most of the work is done with primitive hand tools and good old elbow grease.

sao6NUE.jpg

NQCmLFQ.jpg

VkncEGo.jpg

8OX4qsg.jpg

I know you said you want to powder-coat it, but I can't seem to find if you've got that(or an alternative) worked out? If I may throw my two cents in, I think it'd be great to keep the steel bare so it's easier to show off that it really is steel.

I know you said you want to powder-coat it, but I can't seem to find if you've got that(or an alternative) worked out? If I may throw my two cents in, I think it'd be great to keep the steel bare so it's easier to show off that it really is steel.

Technically, the hands are not steel, but aluminium. Yeah, I was on the fence about it for a long time and kinda still am, but the rest of the suit needs some TLC with body-filler and paint as my panel-beating skills are far from professional finish. There's just too many imperfections to leave it as it, plus in hospitals I don't want to give anyone a tetanus infection.....

SB.

- - - Updated - - -

Marking out all the friction points to grind back and refine fit and improve range of motion.

Y6kWRbs.jpg

All finger armour pieces for the other hand now cast. Looks like I have many hours of grinding ahead of me.

Y1vjhzv.jpg

Truly inspirational, Sandbagger. The sustained level of skill and craftsmanship you put into this project really is amazing, and I think I've run out of words that haven't already been mentioned by others here.

Last edited by a moderator:
This build is mind blowing!!! Good job :)

Thanks man. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Truly inspirational, Sandbagger. The sustained level of skill and craftsmanship you put into this project really is amazing, and I think I've run out of words that haven't already been mentioned by others here.

Just making do with what I've got mate. :thumbsup Thanks for the encouragement. :D

SB

You've got to be freaking out right now. You are soooo close to having a complete iron man suit made of steel! If you're not, then I'm freaking out for you!! This is so cool!

You've got to be freaking out right now. You are soooo close to having a complete iron man suit made of steel! If you're not, then I'm freaking out for you!! This is so cool!

Oh I am mate! I am!

Bought a pretty important bit of kit for what's coming up next with the suit - installing electronics and lighting.

Getting exciting!

gqTBgUA.jpg

I love watching this build, Sandbagger. Love all the updates and pictures. Can't wait to see this finished!

I know you are on the fence about powder coating. My two cents. I'm a Car wash Mechanic by trade. I fabricate and weld many things for these harsh tunnel environments and everything I make I highly recommend powder coating. Aluminum is perfect. It's caustic so without protection it turns into a white powdery mess. I've seen many aluminum parts turn out to be garbage. Plus it's superior strength to regular paint is unparalleled.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

I know you are on the fence about powder coating. My two cents. I'm a Car wash Mechanic by trade. I fabricate and weld many things for these harsh tunnel environments and everything I make I highly recommend powder coating. Aluminum is perfect. It's caustic so without protection it turns into a white powdery mess. I've seen many aluminum parts turn out to be garbage. Plus it's superior strength to regular paint is unparalleled.

Thanks Ryno.

To clarify, only the gauntlets are aluminium. The rest of the suit is mild steel.

We discussed this at length and I had meetings with several powdercoaters that I have a good rapport with through previous employment contracts. The problem is that the suit needs bog work. No amount of beating is going to get this super straight without at least some filler. The problem with filler is that when you put it under the powdercoating heaters, it shrinks, warps and cracks. Even the outrageously expensive purpose-made stuff you can buy that will withstand the temps, will still not do for this particular application. I have consulted with several experts in the trade and they all say the same thing and that it could turn out into a very expensive mistake and a messy clean-up afterwards.

Standard auto-body filler and auto paint is the way to go. It's a shame because I have seen some lovely results and finishes in powder coat. The good thing about this is that I can do it at home.

SB.

Thanks Ryno.

To clarify, only the gauntlets are aluminium. The rest of the suit is mild steel.

We discussed this at length and I had meetings with several powdercoaters that I have a good rapport with through previous employment contracts. The problem is that the suit needs bog work. No amount of beating is going to get this super straight without at least some filler. The problem with filler is that when you put it under the powdercoating heaters, it shrinks, warps and cracks. Even the outrageously expensive purpose-made stuff you can buy that will withstand the temps, will still not do for this particular application. I have consulted with several experts in the trade and they all say the same thing and that it could turn out into a very expensive mistake and a messy clean-up afterwards.

Standard auto-body filler and auto paint is the way to go. It's a shame because I have seen some lovely results and finishes in powder coat. The good thing about this is that I can do it at home.

SB.
I use Alvin's Lab metal. Its super easy to sand and withstands powder coating temps. It's cheap and a brilliant product I use all the time. Never once had a problem with it. http://www.alvinproducts.com/

I use Alvin's Lab metal. Its super easy to sand and withstands powder coating temps. It's cheap and a brilliant product I use all the time. Never once had a problem with it. http://www.alvinproducts.com/

Just looked at it. Interesting. Although I wouldn't call it cheap. Here I would be paying over $50 AUD for a 24oz, (680 gram) can plus postage. http://www.net4sale.com/Shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=38&idcategory=12 then there's the thinning/cleanup solvent on top.

Here's a question for you then. If I want to powdercoat two colours on the same piece, let's say - the red and gold on the upper arm and bicep, obviously it can't be done as if you would paint. How does one go about it?

SB

Just looked at it. Interesting. Although I wouldn't call it cheap. Here I would be paying over $50 AUD for a 24oz, (680 gram) can plus postage. http://www.net4sale.com/Shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=38&idcategory=12 then there's the thinning/cleanup solvent on top.

Here's a question for you then. If I want to powdercoat two colours on the same piece, let's say - the red and gold on the upper arm and bicep, obviously it can't be done as if you would paint. How does one go about it?

SB
You just do the main color first and after it cools off you mask off the second color on top with high temp masking tape. It's like a green rubbery tape that can withstand the heat made for powder coating. Then at the end you can put UV clear coat on top. If I can find a pic off a piece I did I post it here. I had a customer who wanted a logo powdered in once. Main was blue and logo was florescent green. Looked really cool. They also make powder colors that glow in the dark. I may try it out one day.

Righto, I'll revisit the subject. Thanks man.

Here's a quick video from this morning's cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back