Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks mate.

This helmet is smaller than most, keeping very close proportions with the wearer and the rest of the suit. As a result, there is no room for servo motors in the helmet to lift the faceplate. To solve this problem, I have used bicycle gear and brake cables to pull from an external stepper motor mounted in the chest.

Picture showing the cable-pull configuration on the inside.

cOjrXq5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude you seriously have my utmost respect and adulations!! I can not stop following this thread and learning so much from you!!!!

Good god man!!! That is sooooo cool!!! I have been watching this post for a few months and you have some crazy good talent. Keep up the good work, it's an inspiration to us all!

^^^ Thanks guys! :D

Arc reactor secured, but removable for future servicing. Harder than you might think.

kbSU00F.jpg

Tw2EmGR.jpg

For the faceplate return cable, I've fabricated a yoke to attach and pivot. Again, removable for the day a cable frays or perishes.

rXnUlQK.jpg

That's amazing man, I'd say great job but it doesn't really give it the justice it deserves. Can't wait to see it in red and gold.

I've got a question about how you do your casting (feel free not to answer if its a trade secret or something), but could the type of casting you do be done with another material besides foam? For instance, wax? I know lost-wax is a slightly different process than what you do exactly. The reason I ask, is I do a lot of 3D printing (obviously, that's my build right now after all), and I found an online supplier of wax filament for 3D printing. I wondered if it would be feasible to print a wax model and cast a metal replica from that? I understand this is a highly speculative question but I wanted to ask someone with a lot more metalworking experience than myself.

I've got a question about how you do your casting (feel free not to answer if its a trade secret or something), but could the type of casting you do be done with another material besides foam? For instance, wax? I know lost-wax is a slightly different process than what you do exactly. The reason I ask, is I do a lot of 3D printing (obviously, that's my build right now after all), and I found an online supplier of wax filament for 3D printing. I wondered if it would be feasible to print a wax model and cast a metal replica from that? I understand this is a highly speculative question but I wanted to ask someone with a lot more metalworking experience than myself.

There's no secret squirrel cloak and dagger around me mate.

Of course you can use the lost wax method. How you sculpt that wax model is up to you. The difference is, with foam you can pack the finished foam carving in sand and pour the aluminium straight on top and it will vaporise. With wax, you have to think harder about your mold because you have to get the wax model OUT of the mold before you pour in the hot metal.

You can construct the mold in two halves so you can pull the wax model out intact, or you can pour a plaster slurry all over it, leaving a hole so you can turn it upside down, heat it in the oven and MELT the wax out before pouring the hot metal in.

Many ways to get to Rome mate.

SB

Somehow, "awesome" just doesn't cut it.
And other stuff that came to mind isn't suited for publication.

I bow down my head and just repeat .... "awesome". :)

Somehow, "awesome" just doesn't cut it.
And other stuff that came to mind isn't suited for publication.

I bow down my head and just repeat .... "awesome". :)

Thanks man. :D

I'm doing some weight-saving by cutting out any pieces inside that I deem unnecessary. There are a few bits I've added, but there are also a lot of bits that paper/card/foam/fibreglass suits would need, that a steel suit simply doesn't. Every gram I can save helps. Also cut off all the protruding bolts and sanded down the nuts. The padding will cover what's left.

CUN0JpE.jpg

I spent an hour or so cleaning up afterwards, getting ready to protect the inside with POR-15 to stop rust. Main torso done.

miBrA9f.jpg

I also welded in the second set of fittings inside for the faceplate return cable. A few quick pulls on both cables to test it with the helmet on. None of the bolts and hinges inside touch my face nor catch my hair, so with a balaclava on all will be sweet!

The cables will be cut much shorter later to stop at chest level and the actuator installed in the breast-plate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol. If anybody gives you any kind of attitude on a convention, you can now "snap" back at them. :D

Lol. If anybody gives you any kind of attitude on a convention, you can now "snap" back at them. :D

I could imagine if someone being annoying snapping it closed and walking away while they're still talking. Not saying SB is rude enough to do that. (I might though. atleast as a joke)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back