Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Sandbagger's Iron Man build

Thanks gang. Good to have your support to keep me motivated to complete it.

SB

Torso coming together.

f4sDFmk.jpg

I put the hand together just for fun, but I am not going to use it. I don't like it, don't like the way it moves, (or doesn't), so I will probably make it out of stained thick cow-hide.

NSVWZsd.jpg

That torso is the coolest thing I've seen this week. Does it split along the sides so you can get in, or is there another way to put it on?

^ I keep wondering that myself. With the suit being metal, is there some flexibility without altering the overall shape?

That torso is the coolest thing I've seen this week. Does it split along the sides so you can get in, or is there another way to put it on?

I will be making the suit complete, then when happy with it I will be splitting it and installing bolt-lugs for socket-head cap screws to join it and put it on. With a cordless drill-driver, bolting the costume on will be expedited. I've tried on every piece of the cardboard suit and found good fit and mobility. There are a couple of bits that required adjustment, but that's why I made it all in cardboard first.

A dream project of mine for many years has been fully lit, articulating, animatronic Iron Man and MJOLNIR suits from metal. I'm not going to start until I have full metalworking capabilities though (a pair of tin snips and a benchtop drill press doesn't count!).

This is the closest I've seen so far; I'll be watching!

A dream project of mine for many years has been fully lit, articulating, animatronic Iron Man and MJOLNIR suits from metal. I'm not going to start until I have full metalworking capabilities though (a pair of tin snips and a benchtop drill press doesn't count!).

This is the closest I've seen so far; I'll be watching!

Ahh! But that's the whole point! How far can your skills take you and what can you build with MINIMUM equipment!? The limits are there to be tested! :)

SB

Ahh! But that's the whole point! How far can your skills take you and what can you build with MINIMUM equipment!? The limits are there to be tested! :)

SB

That's kinda what I'm doing now, trying to put together a Halo 4 BR without any kind of CNC/Laser ability, no pep, no slicing. Just a game asset to template and measure from, a caliper and traditional techniques. I feel slightly disappointed that it won't be perfect since I'm not CNCing it from aluminum stock, but it will at least be a solid evaluation of my making abilities. It's coming out pretty well so far, 20 days in, I'll probably get a build thread up somewhat soon.

For metal, I could probably do it if I had a welder, as your pics make amply clear! Aside from that, I don't think I'm lacking anything absolutely critical, but if I was going to put that much time and effort and expense into it, I'd want the results to be as close to perfect as possible. A "decent metalworking project" just wouldn't cut it for me. Yeah, I'm one of THOSE people. :p

That's not to say there aren't projects I wouldn't like to attempt as minimum-gear-challenges, I just don't think Iron Man and Master Chief have the design language appropriate to do so. Something a bit more rustic and tolerant of imprecision, like from Bioshock or Skyrim or something, would be awesome.

Mammoth day today. Went for a drive to pick up some more cold-rolled mild steel sheet, scrounged the local salvage yard and finally found what I was looking for - an old overhead projector. Picked it up for ten bucks. All I want is the lenses.

Once home, I traced out all the parts for the cod-piece and chest/back brace, got a lot of blisters from the aviation snips and a tennis ball sized muscle in my forearm.

I then hacked up the OHP for a swanky new cover on the arc reactor.

x7SN2xU.jpg

kZnYP0K.jpg

hbl64fO.jpg

0bor8HM.jpg

yEddQZ9.jpg

00FBCzG.jpg

uIvOmSr.jpg

You are a god! This is easily the best build I've seen on here in years. The multitude of skills you continue to demonstrate, just wonderful.

Give yourself some credit! This build never ceases to amaze me. (Or anyone else viewing it, for that matter.)

ok all I need is that lens. What to do with the res....blow it up!

But i all due respect that looks perfect. you are doing amazing work on this build.

Wow man, everything is looking amazing. :) keep up the good work

Thanks dudes.

Here's all the bending and folding I got done tonight with a couple of pairs of pliers, gloved hands and the occasional tap with a mallet. So hard to do this quietly at night!

p9UlXeO.jpg

I applaud your work this takes tenacity. What are you welding with. Stitch welding can be tricky.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I applaud your work this takes tenacity. What are you welding with. Stitch welding can be tricky.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

My boss has me doing all the welding jobs at work, using the big MIG there. So he lets me bring in the project to work on it during my lunch break or after hours to build my skills. He's very supportive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back