Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My goodness, Sandbagger. I can't really say much more than has already been said on this thread. Easily the highest level of craftsmanship and skill put into a suit that I have seen. I'm looking forward to seeing this painted up!

My goodness, Sandbagger. I can't really say much more than has already been said on this thread. Easily the highest level of craftsmanship and skill put into a suit that I have seen. I'm looking forward to seeing this painted up!

Thanks mate. I love the look of it in steel enough to tempt me to chrome it, but the whole idea of getting it into kids hospital wards is to have the instant recognition of the iconic red and gold associated with the character. I'm torn.

Thanks mate. I love the look of it in steel enough to tempt me to chrome it, but the whole idea of getting it into kids hospital wards is to have the instant recognition of the iconic red and gold associated with the character. I'm torn.

Ahh I can't blame you for being out on the fence about that. Chrome would look fantastic as well!

Also the vid looks great! Looks like you still have decent mobility .

Looking great - when is it going to fly? lol

(you know I'm just kidding about flying)

You never know.....

- - - Updated - - -

Here's two pictures showing the hand plate in the open and closed positions. I still need to refine them, take the inside corner off and pad them underneath, but the hinge will have a switch under it that activates the hand repulsor illumination when it is pushed back by the back of the gauntlet.

There will be a return spring tacked on the inside as well to bring it back to the closed position snug against the back of my hands.

mwwei8H.jpg

MrhVH0k.jpg

Omnomnomnom. I would seriously consider flying to Oz just to shoot this thing. :eek

(If I had the money :p)

Omnomnomnom. I would seriously consider flying to Oz just to shoot this thing. :eek

(If I had the money :p)

Shall I put the kettle on? :p

Today I had little time during lunch so I just added the toe recesses. I cut the rectangle out of the front of the toes, then made two small trays the same size as the hole about 5mm deep and tapped them in for a snug fit. I then set the MIG to low wire feed and enough juice to penetrate the .95 sheet and fuse them together.

A quick grind and you get the idea. More refined clean-up later.

9FWYc3Q.jpg

I am pumped to see the finished product!! So much time and detail going into this, I tip my hat sir. Keep up the amazing kickass work!!!!!!!!

*drops to knees* WE ARE NOT WORTHY! WE ARE NOT WORTHY!

This is hands-down the best Iron Man suit I've ever seen built. May I ask what shade of red you're going with?
Like an off-the-shelf color or something mixed to custom? Idk what the movie suit used both for the prop and for the CGI version of the suit.

Thanks heaps gang. Your encouragement is always appreciated. :)

*drops to knees* WE ARE NOT WORTHY! WE ARE NOT WORTHY!

This is hands-down the best Iron Man suit I've ever seen built. May I ask what shade of red you're going with?
Like an off-the-shelf color or something mixed to custom? Idk what the movie suit used both for the prop and for the CGI version of the suit.

HobbitDude, I haven't got that far yet. I'd like to make it look as movie-accurate as I can but in the end, it may come down to budget and what's available. I'm looking into powdercoating at this stage.

SB

This is amazing man! I've been doing body work on cars for around 12 years now, and as far as paint goes, I would recommend powder coating it. Some paints are tough but not as tough as powder coating. I'm not sure if you would weather it or not, or if you can even weather that stuff like paint, but that's what I would do. To me, seems the best way to keep it looking good for as long as possible haha. Keep up the good work man! I love checking in to see what you keep accomplishing!!!!!!!

Went to the powdercoaters today with the suit to come up with a plan. Basically because of the filler I need to use to smooth out imperfections and the temperatures required in the Powdercoating ovens, I cant powdercoat and must go to the auto-paint option.

Bummer. He was prepared to powdercoat for free as long as I paid for the powder. :cry

If you need a filler that can withstand the powder coating process this might work. It might be a little expensive if you cannot buy it locally, but it would probably be cheaper than an automotive paint job.

Easily the best suit I have seen of any armour ever. Absolutely fantastic and wonderful craftsmanship. Really well done, man.

Spent most of the morning with the media this morning. The very versatile journo took instruction well to act as my J.A.R.V.I.S and operate the impact driver to put me together.

The photographer seemed very creative too so I can't wait to see the photos in the Canberra Times over the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back