Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reinforcing with wire before pouring the mold.

ss9L5p8.jpg

Ready to pour.

gn6RlAW.jpg

Separating the mold.

k7mpKhv.jpg

Worked perfectly!

fmR3Pwc.jpg

I'm now preparing for sculpting the Iron Man gauntlets. I need to cover the cast hands in an even layer of clay before sculpting. Made a clay-cutter out of a couple of strips of 3mm thick aluminium, mounted to a smooth lacquered wooden block and screwed to the bench. A couple of pieces of poly-pipe and some fishing line. Should be able to pack clay in then run the wire along to cut exactly 3mm thick plates of clay.

6UIok8P.jpg

L6NudsV.jpg

Today's progress. First time using clay like this. Not ideal clay either, but you work with what you've got huh?

Wrapping entire cast in 3mm of clay.

cidziFT.jpg

Hand wrapped.

hv7LIiz.jpg

Under-armour glove details carved in. Drying time then sanding and refine details.

1BKEhAb.jpg

Looking sweet as normal bagger! looking forward to the results.

Looking good. A good way to smoothen oil based clay is naphtha. You can just brush it on and off.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Looking good as usual, very interested to see how you end up making these gloves.
How come the custom leather gloves didn't work? What was the issue?

Looking good. A good way to smoothen oil based clay is naphtha. You can just brush it on and off.

Thanks man.
That's why he's using clay.

What he said.

Looking good as usual, very interested to see how you end up making these gloves.
How come the custom leather gloves didn't work? What was the issue?

It's a long story mate. Needless to say, they didn't work out. :( Bummed because now I have to do all this.

Don't be bummed. The extra work you put into them is really going to show. It will be worth the effort. I can't wait to see how these turn out.

Well it's a difficult, tedious and time-consuming way to make them. Pleated leather gloves would have been so much easier. Now that's fallen through, I have to buy latex, dye, and a myriad of other bits and bobs to get this done and I don't even know if I can do it yet.

Not how I planned it to go down.

Patching up cracks and pits in the clay, a bit more sanding. Tedious, but the more time I spend on these the better the cast will come out.

uChxYfQ.jpg

Because I have to cast the aluminium armoured plates for the Iron man hands, I cut down this old bushfire-damaged LPG gas bottle and turned it into a home made foundry. Found the plans online. Whipped this up in an hour and a half.

Just got to line it, fill it with BBQ beads and hook up a long pipe and a hair dryer.

tNrGbkO.jpg

Another trick for concentric rings are a set of O-rings they come in many sizes and you can grab a set rather cheaply. Wrap them where they go and press them into place to make nice even lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back