Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would absolutely love video footage of you all suited up. You have truly made the ultimate iron man cosplay. You are am absolute inspiration. Seeing your build at this stage has really inspired me to do something i have yet to do... complete a build lol. And you're so humble. You're awesome SB!

I love it brother! You are no doubt going to make the days of countless children with this beauty. I really look forward to seeing the fruits of your labor in video, pics, or however you choose to show it soon. :D

Outstanding work, Sandbagger. Just curious, do you have any plans to eventually add a voice circuit (mic in the helmet) for sounding like Iron-Man when you speak, or any sound effects for things like the palm repulsors?

I can't wait to see you suited up and putting smiles on faces! The paint and bodywork turned out amazing, Sandbagger!

God bless ya guys and girls. Robot Chicken I am keeping it fairly simple for now, but I can add things later.

Here's and update:

To quiet the vibrations transferred from the internal circulation and de-fogging fan's metal to metal mount in the helmet, some well-placed foam buffers glued in between should do the trick.

0CEeNjH.jpg

Video glasses, camera and lights in the eyes. I'll be able to see in the dark. Here I am adding some light shielding so it's dark inside. It's all one unit now. Two screws and the whole lot comes out together. Lights, video glasses, camera and PCB/battery.

MX5qaFS.jpg

Adding detail to the bottom lip. Also sealing light leaks ao it is completely dark inside. With distortions from the camera through the video glasses to get used to, the last thing the senses need is conflicting vision from outside.

GRbtmcO.jpg

Video and electronics unit all nutted out now. Just a matter of tidying up the wiring.

RcJAq1v.jpg

SB, my niece was in sick kids hospital on and off for a year battling cancer (which she beat btw) and I know how much the visits she got meant to her. She was a teenager so it was mostly sports personalities and band members but the end result was the same as the joy you are about to bring to a lot of kids.

You are going to do some real good with this, perhaps more than you could ever know.

Congratulations on the build and thank you for what you are doing.

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

SB, my niece was in sick kids hospital on and off for a year battling cancer (which she beat btw) and I know how much the visits she got meant to her. She was a teenager so it was mostly sports personalities and band members but the end result was the same as the joy you are about to bring to a lot of kids.

You are going to do some real good with this, perhaps more than you could ever know.

Congratulations on the build and thank you for what you are doing.

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

I can only hope they get as big a kick out of it as I think I'm going to get seeing their faces. :D Thanks mate!

- - - Updated - - -

Camera and video display unit, (Video glasses), mounted on the inside of the faceplate. To reduce the impact of the central lens, I've hand-painted the edge of it. I'll also be looking for an adhesive gold reflective film to further disguise it.

GgiOGCs.jpg

With the hinge gear for the faceplate fitted, clearances have now been sorted out on the hinge itself. The Bowden cable between the geared motor and the hinge gear will now need to be lengthened to place the motor further down into the chin area of the helmet as it is a little too tight on my cheek where it is.

I've also got to find a faster geared motor that is the same physical diameter or smaller without losing torque.

The worm itself will need a plastic cover to prevent bloody carnage inside the helmet, should chunks of hair get caught in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn it looks awesome, FULL Steel isn't that going to be hard to move in? Or does it make clinking nose when u walk around

The response across the world wide web to the last two photos of the painted suit today has been phenomenal. I have been inundated for the last 24 hours with encouragement and praise. ABC Canberra called today to organise a follow up story. Nige Johnson from 106.3fm called yesterday to chat about coverage as well.

I want to express my sincere gratitude to all you out there who have supported, encouraged, offered advice, provided materials, digital files, templates and programs, tools, money and maintained my faith in the good of humanity in the face of many odds. I could not have done it without you. If I could, it would have perhaps been a lot harder and taken a lot longer.

The focus, however, is not on me, but on the kids in hospital that I hope will ultimately benefit from a couple of hours fun and wow with their armoured superhero in person.

Matron introduces a, "special guest today" and all heads turn toward the door where a heavy metallic clunk clunk clunk is heard approaching down the hall....Can you imagine their faces?

Can you imagine what it must be like to be stuck in a bed/ward with machines hooked up to you all the time and no real escape from the everyday grind? If this suit can give them even the smallest break and put a smile on their dials even for a short time...

The suit still has a bit to go with final electronic finishing, an undersuit and those nearly impossible gauntlets to solve. Rest assured I will keep you all posted and maybe the hospitals might even allow me to share the visit experiences in photos, video and stories.

We will see.

Thank you one and all.

I give you all, a big thumbs up from Iron Man.

I have visited the CMN Hospital here in Colorado in my Space Marine armor. And there are no words to describe how awesome it feels to make these kids smile. A Warhammer 40k Space Marine isn't very well known and the kids were still jazzed to have me there. So, I cant imagine how much attention and happiness you will receive. Everyone knows Iron Man.

I don't know if the rules there are different than here but, I was told to try to avoid physical contact and no pictures were allowed by me or my handler without written permission from the parent/guardian of the child in the Hospital's care. I also wiped my entire armor down with bleach wipes before entering the wing.

I did have one kid run up and hug my waist on my visit. I apologized to him saying "Sorry buddy I'm not suppose to touch." he asked Why? And before I could say anything his mom replied. "They don't want to get sick honey." I said, "No mam. I'm not worried about getting sick. I do not however wish to make anyone here worse. I'm here to make their day better not make it more complicated." The mom then came over and gave me a hug and whispered in my ear "Thank you." I almost lost it.

One visit is all it will take to make all the cuts, burns, hardships of any type melt away. My only regret is that I live 5 hours away from my CMN Hospital so I don't get t go make kids smile near as often as I would like to.

I have visited the CMN Hospital here in Colorado in my Space Marine armor. And there are no words to describe how awesome it feels to make these kids smile. A Warhammer 40k Space Marine isn't very well known and the kids were still jazzed to have me there. So, I cant imagine how much attention and happiness you will receive. Everyone knows Iron Man.

I don't know if the rules there are different than here but, I was told to try to avoid physical contact and no pictures were allowed by me or my handler without written permission from the parent/guardian of the child in the Hospital's care. I also wiped my entire armor down with bleach wipes before entering the wing.

I did have one kid run up and hug my waist on my visit. I apologized to him saying "Sorry buddy I'm not suppose to touch." he asked Why? And before I could say anything his mom replied. "They don't want to get sick honey." I said, "No mam. I'm not worried about getting sick. I do not however wish to make anyone here worse. I'm here to make their day better not make it more complicated." The mom then came over and gave me a hug and whispered in my ear "Thank you." I almost lost it.

One visit is all it will take to make all the cuts, burns, hardships of any type melt away. My only regret is that I live 5 hours away from my CMN Hospital so I don't get t go make kids smile near as often as I would like to.

Bless ya mate. I envisioned as much. Their innocent and pure joy is the driving force behind an agenda-free goal. So refreshing in this world of nothing for free.

I salute you.

Baz.

- - - Updated - - -

With the above video in mind, I found the perfect motor online.

It is EXACTLY the same in size as the one I have, but it is two and a half times faster at 180rpm instead of my current 70rpm.

It is also stronger at 4.3kg/cm instead of my current 2.1kg/cm

It's also 6V instead of my current 12V.

WIN WIN WIN.

The output shaft is also identical at 4mm D shaped, so I don't have to change the fitting in my worm gear and Bowden cable.

I think I finally have it solved. Motor on it's way.

https://www.robotgear.com.au/Product.aspx/Details/543-73-1-Metal-Gearmotor-20Dx42L-mm

PZwDEi1.jpg

I just spent the last two hours going through all pages of this and I cannot get over how amazing this is.
I had attempted to do a full body suit of Iron Man from just paper, but being a bigger sized girl, I gave up
knowing it wouldn't fit me and just be a waste of time. But the amount of time and effort you have put into
this brings my hopes up for finishing the project I am working on now and hopefully finish. Thank you for all the
tips and tricks you have offered as well as everyone else! This makes me want to do aomething like this, even
though I know I will never be able to be as good as this! But! It makes me happy knowing your motive behind
making the suit! Especially out of steel. Jaw dropping. You are a great man! Thank you! Best to you in every way!

I just spent the last two hours going through all pages of this and I cannot get over how amazing this is.
I had attempted to do a full body suit of Iron Man from just paper, but being a bigger sized girl, I gave up
knowing it wouldn't fit me and just be a waste of time. But the amount of time and effort you have put into
this brings my hopes up for finishing the project I am working on now and hopefully finish. Thank you for all the
tips and tricks you have offered as well as everyone else! This makes me want to do aomething like this, even
though I know I will never be able to be as good as this! But! It makes me happy knowing your motive behind
making the suit! Especially out of steel. Jaw dropping. You are a great man! Thank you! Best to you in every way!

Reading this entire thread is a MASSIVE effort! You could have half finished your suit.... :p LOL.

Go at it mate. Yours looks like a challenging build.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't had any time in the shed this week. I'm sick, all three kids and wife also sick.

I got to work on it a little on the kitchen bench the other night for 20 minutes, searching out squeaks, clunks and grinds.

I'm padding them out with 2mm foam. Should sound like the solid slamming of a door of a Rolls Royce when I march off...

bx0fcYN.jpg

I seriously LOVE your paintjob.

Also - padding sounds like a very nice idea, it could get uncomfortable sometimes without padding...

Thanks champs. :D

Thanks to the random kindness and generosity of another Overclockers Australia forum member, I received the new, faster, more powerful geared motor in the mail.

I soldered the wires on then spent a good part of this afternoon making a bracket to fix it into the helmet, using an existing screw-tab that I had previously used for mounting the micro-fan. The fan only needs one, so the other came in handy.

pwpj4cg.jpg

Obea48n.jpg

nHZAM8w.jpg

wRpwRv6.jpg

88jyWeN.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back