Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel your pain of buffing aluminum. My senior year of high school I had a summer job at an airport and almost single handedly buffed the plane the company was building from the standard aluminum dullness to a full reflective polish. Something like 150 hours over the course of 2 months.

Can't wait to see when everything comes together, and it's ready for paint.

I didn't like the existing hinge design as the bottom of the faceplate was still in front of my eyes in the fully raised position, and too high off the top of the helmet.

The vertical side of the faceplate has to push forward slightly before raising in order to clear the corner of the helmet, then as it moves rearward the top of the faceplate needs to drop and hug the back of the helmet.

Prototyping and engineering with cardboard first saves you loads of time and money!

Last edited by a moderator:
The arc reactor looks stellar, Sandbagger! I really like how you prototyped your hinges with cardboard as well.

Yeah buffing aluminum can definitely dirty things up in your world. A local product that we have here that I use for metal polishing is called Xtreme metal polish. I'm sure other products out there that will work the same. Another product that we have here locally is called Mother's metal polish. This stuff is fantastic it has abrasives in it made out of alumina and mineral spirits witch are impregnated into surgical grade cotton all you have to do is rub until it gets black and it comes out looking like Chrome.
http://www.xtreemusa.com/metalpolish.html

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05112.html#&slider1=13

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

This stuff is fantastic it has abrasives in it made out of aluminum and mineral spirits with impregnated into surgical grade cotton all you have to do is rub until it gets black and it comes out looking like Chrome.

Sounds a bit like Brasso - though I'm not sure if that's a product you lot would have in America and Australia, and in either case, it'd be useless for aluminium.

Sounds a bit like Brasso - though I'm not sure if that's a product you lot would have in America and Australia, and in either case, it'd be useless for aluminium.
Yeah I use Brasso to clean up surfaces like stainless steel and brass fixtures. I do have to sweat copper fixtures sometimes and it's great for brightening up any visible surface. It doesn't cut though best method to go for brilliant surface would be Emory cloth, cutting compound on buffing wheel, abrasive metal polish, and for after care a cleaner/sealant. Aluminum is caustic so it will loose it's bright finish fast and start to yellow without any protectants or clear coat.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Transformers machined and fitted into keys in the acrylic ring. Channel milled on the inside of the acrylic ring to fit LED strip lighting.

71SUzMO.jpg

Will you be also wearing that? Won't it be too heavy? O_O
It looks fantastic!

It will be fitted into the chest armour. Why would it be too heavy? I carry 100kg+ soldiers over my shoulder and run with them, I think I can manage this. :p

Thanks for the encouragement! :D

SB.

Heh, what I meant by quoting your signature, Sandbagger, was that if you're not concerned about the 35kilo suit, you'll probably not be concerned about bolting the reactor into the chest piece adding weight :p

Heh, what I meant by quoting your signature, Sandbagger, was that if you're not concerned about the 35kilo suit, you'll probably not be concerned about bolting the reactor into the chest piece adding weight :p

You'd be right mate. :D

SB

Today's activities out and about and in the shed. I had a heap of knife making to do so I didn't get much time on the suit.

I bought thinner wire for all the LED lights and a little thicker,(less resistance) wire for the servo motors.

30WDkzi.jpg

Tapped threads for the spine plates.

JJD7T8k.jpg

Started hinging the hand armour.

VH250FK.jpg

khOOBMa.jpg

Damn your clean work and attention to detail is amazing.

Thank you very much!

One of the challenges of keeping proportions in the suit is the ability to squeeze a normal human body part through a fantastically superheroish piece of armour.

To solve the narrow wrist that was taking skin off my hand on the way back out, I cut a panel out, hinged it and entry and exit is now a breeze.

6rXb2PN.jpg

EZmuNwj.jpg

Today's activities out and about and in the shed. I had a heap of knife making to do so I didn't get much time on the suit.

As always, great progress. Curious, is the knife making a hobby or semi profession? I see from the picture it might be like a hunting knife. I've been waiting for my New Recruit status to go away so that I can create an Off-topic thread to see if people here make other crafts outside of costuming, like knife-making. I myself have recently become a vaginarius :D that is to say I make leather sheaths/scabbards. I've been doing leatherwork as young as a mid-teen, but only recently was approached by a new knife maker to craft custom sheaths for his knives. I thought it would be fun to post pictures of the different kinds of other crafts people on the site may be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back