Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
FINALLY!!!

UbreOMm.jpg

8Uj7KDQ.jpg

U6QKNdf.jpg

EIDN8Bt.jpg

UUMiSwm.jpg

r4wOKJ0.jpg

No money and no time for a few weeks, but today I managed to spend a bit on more foam material so I can work on filling all the joint gaps that so many other cosplayers don't tackle.

It's a bit of trial and error, but the 2.5mm foam wrapped in stretch metallic fabric seems to look better than a red lycra bodysuit. At least I can detail it a bit by running the soldering iron over it.

1. Foam block under the hand plate to provide padding protection on the back of the hand as well as a little mechanical advantage.

UrhK0O6.jpg

2,3,4&5. Trying to make a cover for the elbow that will bend and have the hard steel slide over it by just gluing the top of it in, but not the bottom.

bnZTlBO.jpg

IyhilE2.jpg

VOhV7WG.jpg

sHvNsb1.jpg

6&7. Inside elbows looked ok and flexed with movement, but crumpled too much at 90 degrees so I cut it in the middle and remade the back piece a bit longer to slide under the front piece.

i9LCnWO.jpg

AWkP1ja.jpg

8&9.

You might remember I had to keep trimming the neck pieces down so I could turn my head. The steel was just too rigid and the bottom of the helmet would strike and scrape. I have now replaced the top two rings with foam to cover the neck gap and still allow movement.

UU7raeo.jpg

PwVqsnJ.jpg

10&11. I wanted to fill the huge gap under the arms, so I've used foam with a few bits sprayed with a very thin coat of chrome spray.

h5EFPGs.jpg

fHCahbN.jpg

Those gap fillers are brilliant. Can't even tell they're foam in these pics.

Sent using Tapatalk.

Quite simply AMAZING.

All the attention to detail. The drive to never quit even when things took a try or two to get right. Not to mention it seems to me that not only did you build the magnificent piece; you also built other things to allow you to build it.

Been a complete pleasure to watch along the way. Thank you Sandbagger.

Reactions: Jme
^^^^ this.

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

Thanks gang. Don't sell yourselves short. Many of you encouraged me along the way and helped me with ideas and solutions.

I'm going out to my electronics guy's place tonight to get some more of the electronics sorted, but the suit and all it's padding/gap-fillers is done.

I got a bit of a surprise tonight when I weighed the whole suit.

Does this suit make my bum look big?

Came in at nearly seven kilos lighter than my target limit set when I planned out the weight based on steel density and my own BMI/surface area.

XQLZdDx.jpg

WOW! I totally missed latest progress of your armor and I have to say outstanding idea for the gloves! And the execution of the idea - the best! O_O

Very smart :)

Dude, I seriously envy you in so many ways!!!
Purely brilliant work!!
Now you just gotta update your signature for the new weight and that it's painted, but I want to see you fly too!!! now get working on that flight system! :)

Dude, I seriously envy you in so many ways!!!
Purely brilliant work!!
Now you just gotta update your signature for the new weight and that it's painted, but I want to see you fly too!!! now get working on that flight system! :)

Hey thanks everyone and thanks for the reminder on my sig. I'll fix it.

Update: We started on repulsors last night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Development from a quick circuit diagram of the relays for the faceplate motor. James is full bottle on this stuff. I just take the jumble of wires, switches and hardware and make it fit and look pretty inside the suit.

xJS0q1e.jpg

I6Uyqbn.jpg

Relays fitted under geared motor.

sVR9W1e.jpg

The man behind the electronics. James.

txYCIMr.jpg

Testing the eye lights and dimmers.

qT1WNwX.jpg

I've taken ill again, spent most of the day off work and asleep in the warmth of the man-cave under the observatory. I did wake and for about an hour, did a bit of soldering/tweaking.

I got as far as getting activation working seamlessly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terminal case of man-flu? :p

But honestly, hope that you recover from what ails you in good time and you get back to full steam soon!

Oh you know, the one you get where you feel like you've been run over by a truck then double-tapped as it reverses back over you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back