Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Sandbagger's Iron Man build

Beautiful work there, SB. Truly. About the saw blades, could it be they're getting too hot while cutting and then snap when they cool down (when the machine is switched off)? Maybe have a fan nearby to keep them cooler while cutting? It also helps to put a little baby oil on the blade for lubrication. It cuts easier than dry and blades last longer. Nice workmanship, though!

The only solution to the Blade is kind of what RobotChicken said. You do need a cooling lubricant, that or cutting oil which keep the blade a little longer. A wood band saw is not always the best due to the over heating and snapping of the blades Like what you are running into. I was a lead fabricator at one of my jobs and we had to redneck rig a coolant system on our bandsaw because our engineer thought a band saw will do it all and be fine.

But over all. Your progress is amazing SB. Keep up the amazing work.

Band saw blade speed should be under 300 FPM for cutting steel. With sheetmetal you can get away with it faster for a while, as you've seen, but sooner or later the heat can get to be too much. I swapped out the motor on my bandsaw for one from an electric hoist to get the speed down. The hoist motor cost me about $100 and had a gear reduction box on the front of it to lower the speed. This is what i used http://www.harborfreight.com/440-lb-electric-hoist-with-remote-control-60385-9253.html I don't think they have Harbor Freight near you, but maybe you could find something similar.

Bless ya guys! Thanks for all the advice!

SB

- - - Updated - - -

I'm so confused by man. At the same time that we are chopping each other's heads off, we have a spacecraft orbiting an incoming comet, about to land on it as it awakens under the sun's increasing influence.

Pretty deep yes?

Well then, here's another. A random internet acquaintance whom I've never met and who wishes to remain anonymous, sent me advice, photographs, technical knowledge, support, encouragement and contacted me to ask if I would like him to build an arc reactor for the centre of Iron Man's chest. Based on a single measurement from me and a handful of photos, he built this in just a few days.

Not only that, he wanted no money, no return favours or even fair recompense for materials or even postage.

While there are some horrible humans out there, there truly are some wonderful ones too.

Best of all, I have the honour to have interacted with him, even if it was from afar.

X1kO2xL.jpg

Oh man that looks beautiful, whoever he was did a beautiful job. Does it light up too ir is it just a placeholder? Youre right thouh humanity works in mysterious ways. I cant believe how dedicated you have been on this. I cant wait to see it finished.

Oh man that looks beautiful, whoever he was did a beautiful job. Does it light up too ir is it just a placeholder? Youre right thouh humanity works in mysterious ways. I cant believe how dedicated you have been on this. I cant wait to see it finished.

He's only provided the basic chassis and parts. It's up to me to modify it and install all the lighting.

I worked at an aluminum extrusion plant for many years as a mechanic. The saws that cut aluminum were lubricated with cod oil. The fluid I use daily for fabricating and repairs is called magic tap. Fantastic stuff keeps drill bits from burning and saw blade teeth sharp.

You are a true blacksmith! Great job!

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Thank you sir!

Time to start modifying! My mysterious benefactor has provided me with an excellent bunch of hardware to fit all my lighting and power into.

Using my drill press as a vertical lathe, I used the tip of a spade borer to part the outer ring from the rest of the perspex disk. The inner I might use later but for now it's not needed.

fwokPWv.jpg

Similarly, the centre of the aluminium disk underneath is not needed, as I need to allow a clear path for lighting to the front from the source in the back. For this, I just used the bench drill to stitch-drill it all out, then hand-filed it clean. I left four tabs to screw it to the bottom of the reactor. The tabs still need tidying up a little to make them neat.

EVIqTWu.jpg

Here's a quick pre-assembly. I need to make some more bits before the lighting and power goes in.

YPO9pWC.jpg

Ta mate.

I got one boot all spot-welded up today. Fits good and hinges well in the middle.

F8bUf51.jpg

That boot looks like you could mount a repulsor in it pretty sturdily. Have you had any problems with durability as of yet, or is it as solid as it looks?

Wow, haven't checked this thread for awhile and Holy smokes it's beautiful!

That boot looks like you could mount a repulsor in it pretty sturdily. Have you had any problems with durability as of yet, or is it as solid as it looks?

It's just a shell at the moment. I've got lots of mods and more cladding going in.

My very skilled uncle turned some brass rings to my specs. I got a little time to assemble them today.

npggM03.jpg

Brass rings assembled and fitted into the reactor.

MrWUjAs.jpg

Today I cut the guts out of the front plate and fabricated my own from a piece of pipe and some flat steel strips welded and bent.

iQUn3Gv.jpg

Tonight, drawing up a paper template to mark holes to be drilled around the circumference of the front ring. The movie accurate one has elongated slots, but I only have a drill, not a mill so my holes will simply be round.

WWAF7aU.jpg

I don't think I'd ever have the courage to try something like this, so kudos to you man. Looking forward to the final build!

The amount of detailing certainly shows over the work you've put into it so far. Just, wow.

The amount of detailing certainly shows over the work you've put into it so far. Just, wow.

Cheers mate. :)

Arc reactor front ring punched and ready for drilling. Sometimes I wish I had some decent machinery to do all this, but it's kind of cool to see how well I can do with hand tools and hand-held power tools.

Q9NNXaO.jpg

Holes drilled. A bit of polishing and some socket heads and it's ready to go on the front of the reactor.

B7rmRqv.jpg

Trying to remain constructive at work after everyone else has gone home. Lots of waiting for the public to leave the park before locking up. Sure beats wasting time watching the idiot box. Got another hand plate, the second boot and part of a collar plate cut out. Using aviation snips buckles the sheet steel no end, but I'll planish it back out on the anvil.

H1YXdno.jpg

Assembly nearly complete. Still to go: drill out the bottom of the reactor and install power and lighting. I think I'm going to re-do the little square transformers around the outside before I wrap them in copper wire.

M3OtGyR.jpg

Dang, I'm jelly of your protractor. I just bought a plastic one that only points in 1 direction, not both. Yours looks awesome.

Yes, I get fascinated by the tools themselves, doesn't even have to be the project they are being used for, for me to get excited.

Yes, I get fascinated by the tools themselves, doesn't even have to be the project they are being used for, for me to get excited.

I have that feeling around drill presses after having to use a power drill to go through a half inch of steel @ robotics, :lol.

Sandbagger, your reactor looks really cool. Just... being in metal gives it the right look.

Thanks guys. Here's today's work.

Making progress on the second boot.

4TJ6mrz.jpg

Cut the bottom out of the body to allow for the bight and power going in later, then lined the inside of the reactor with a metal tape specially designed to reflect spectrum in laboratories. Good to know people in the game. You can see already what the tape is doing to the sunlight hitting it. Once I have lighting in there, it should bounce around like a bastard.

lA61izn.jpg

Making the little transformers for the particle accelerator on the front of the arc reactor.

CfY8ehI.jpg

Starting to fit transformers on the reactor.

WmXgOu8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back