Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man am I over sanding......

5uln4zM.jpg

A productive day of tweaking mechanical components today. Moved the front micro-switch closer to the rear pivot point of the hinge and made it adjustable as it was pressed up against the skin of my temple. Much better now.

The geared hinge needed a bit of a trim to allow further rotation on the down-stroke while keeping the worm gear in alignment with the motor.

I re-made the top hinge above the gear to pass over the gear instead of under. Now the faceplate is closing all the way down without the top hinge hitting the gear.

3ZxXbT9.jpg

OrzIKz1.jpg

^^^ Thanks man. :D

That's everything painted and clear-coated with the exception of re-doing the helmet and adding a couple of gold accents here and there once the clear coats have hardened.

Now into the nitty gritties of getting it all finished inside and the under-suit sorted out.

9RSXjab.jpg

Qm2Fetj.jpg

Also picked up 1x speedometer, (Bowden) cable to drive the helmet gear. Ten bucks at the wreckers.

hXI49z6.jpg

Started fitting the suit back together tonight. I still have to paint a couple of panels on the thighs with gold, plus review my last test walk to see where all the rubbing, scraping and clanging was coming from and appropriately pad those areas.

The helmet is away at the moment getting more done on the hinge mechanism but it's getting very close now.

OLdYJVb.jpg

jrjW2xg.jpg

lg3VYUu.jpg

The last of the gold highlights complete.

It's a wet day today so I thought I would help the paint along by lighting the forge in the shed for a bit. Such a versatile little bit of kit.

GdRIu1G.jpg

MqMfEh4.jpg

A work of art. I could use I don't know what other ways to describe this stuff, but those 4 simple words would still fit the bill the best. :thumbsup

I love it SB! You have certainly come a long way with this build. Congrats on finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! :D

Wow, just wow. A thing of beauty. Congratulations on an amazing build.

So, what you going to do next? I have a feeling you're not the kind of guy to just stop now that this is finished.

[emoji50]

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

Dude, that is everything I pictured it'd be, and more.
I know you had some rough patches there where you thought about giving up, but this result is something you can be absolutely proud of.
You ARE Iron Man.

The response across the world wide web to the last two photos of the painted suit today has been phenomenal. I have been inundated for the last 24 hours with encouragement and praise. ABC Canberra called today to organise a follow up story. Nige Johnson from 106.3fm called yesterday to chat about coverage as well.

I want to express my sincere gratitude to all you out there who have supported, encouraged, offered advice, provided materials, digital files, templates and programs, tools, money and maintained my faith in the good of humanity in the face of many odds. I could not have done it without you. If I could, it would have perhaps been a lot harder and taken a lot longer.

The focus, however, is not on me, but on the kids in hospital that I hope will ultimately benefit from a couple of hours fun and wow with their armoured superhero in person.

Matron introduces a, "special guest today" and all heads turn toward the door where a heavy metallic clunk clunk clunk is heard approaching down the hall....Can you imagine their faces?

Can you imagine what it must be like to be stuck in a bed/ward with machines hooked up to you all the time and no real escape from the everyday grind? If this suit can give them even the smallest break and put a smile on their dials even for a short time...

The suit still has a bit to go with final electronic finishing, an undersuit and those nearly impossible gauntlets to solve. Rest assured I will keep you all posted and maybe the hospitals might even allow me to share the visit experiences in photos, video and stories.

We will see.

Thank you one and all.

I give you all, a big thumbs up from Iron Man.

vzq6dLd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back