Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a pain in the butt trying to get some shed time these days! Seems between ten and midnight a couple of times a week is about all I get anymore!

0NorzKm.jpg

RUo0mHP.jpg

CUoUIv6.jpg

I... I... I'm pretty much speechless how outstanding it looks. It seriously looks just like Iron Man armor in the movies! @_@
Even better considering the actor is wearing a green-suit... I can't even describe how good your suit already looks. @_@

337.gif

It's a pain in the butt trying to get some shed time these days! Seems between ten and midnight a couple of times a week is about all I get anymore!

And yet in the two hours you have you managed more than I do in a week.

Its looking sooo awesome. I love seeing it in color. And as others have said, I don't think a pro job at $2500 would look any better than your paint job.

Finally got my good friend James in for a few hours tonight to consolodate some of the electronics in the helmet. He managed to reduce our tangled birds-nest of wire down to a very tight little unit.

Still more to go, but very promising so far.

oZMPkrS.jpg

P8du5Ht.jpg

To all my painter friends. I am using Duplicolor metalcast for iron man. It is the perfect colour and finish and the one I want to use.

I'm looking for a compatible clear coat to go hard on the outside and protect it. Anyone had any experience with the can on the right?

I just sprayed it over a test piece of the red metalcast and the clear completely melted the colour away, even though the red had cured for over 24 hours.

I'm getting a little sick of spending money on **** that doesn't work. The guy at supercheap auto said it was made for it and would work fine.

hNQ8tSA.jpg

CsKeJJe.jpg

It's amazing how much bogging and sanding you can do thinking it's super-smooth. Then you hit it with a shiny paint and all the lumps and bumps show up.

There comes a point where you say, "Stuff it, there's only so much time taken from my family I can justify, and I've already pushed it too far." Next goes the red.

hwqQatk.jpg

Ive also used the mettalic duplicolor for the covi purple effect( I use the ground coat underneath)

I use the dulpicolor normal clear wheel coat and it just adds shine. no melt .

odd. wonder if the high heat one is more potent and re solvents the other paints.

Just from experience. The high heat paint is horrible unless it's an engine or barbecue. It doesn't hold up well to abuse it's meant for stationery items that get ridiculously hot. It's not meant for things that chase or come in contact with other things. And it seems to be a flexible type of paint that expands and shrinks instead of crinkles and cracks so I would not use it if I were you.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Spraymax and Rustoleum are by far the top of the line. But if I were you I would also try Plasti Dip's glossy clear coat protected its Clarity is very good nowadays and it's great because it can be peeled off. This would also allow you to touch up any surface imperfections underneath that may get ruffed up over the years as well as a real application of clear could just be sprayed on instantly.

Too bad you don't live here by me I would just take it to my shop and paint it for you

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Alright.

I asked the question on several forums and on Facebook. The one that made the most sense came from a friend who said that 24 hours drying on my Duplicolor red was not enough. I need more like four or five days.

Based on RYNO666's, (405th) link to the Rustoleum option he provide me yesterday, (thanks RYNO) I made contact with an Australian distributor in Victoria and spoke with one of their paint technicians.

He has basically confirmed what my friend has said.

The Duplicolor is a enamel paint, and apparently the solvents in enamels take a very long time to disperse, unlike acrylics or 2-packs.

His advice is to try again, give it four or five days to cure - the longer the better. Then when applying the clear coat over the top, give a very light spray first, wait for it to go off, then apply two normal coats with 15 to 20 minutes between coats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back