Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a bit bored doing armour every night so I thought I'd gave fun carving and casting instead.

jRfGDwd.jpg

YoqK27O.jpg

I'm always a big believer of running concurrent projects - and as I managed to drop and badly damage a lot of parts of my previous arc reactor, hopefully this is the last arc reactor I'll ever have to make.

Thanks to a close friend who wishes to remain anonymous, the two of us are collaborating very closely to machine and assemble the ultimate power plant. He is machining the major components, while I am researcher, consultant and assembler of small detail.

Z4UZxlj.jpg

I can't believe this build is still going. It's crazy bad ass. You always make me lose my words. I want to see the final stage so badly.

I have a really technical question... is steel suit heavy when wearing it?

- - - Updated - - -

Forget my last... I've just spotted ur signature :)

Which version of the reactor are you guys working on? Can't wait to see it done. Soldering it instead of gluing, it should be pretty resilient...

As a side question, are you doing anything with the tiny helmets, or did you just pour the one for the fun of it?

Which version of the reactor are you guys working on? Can't wait to see it done. Soldering it instead of gluing, it should be pretty resilient...

As a side question, are you doing anything with the tiny helmets, or did you just pour the one for the fun of it?

It will be close to this one. https://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-10e23e4bc07abd2e909b3b25fabdc49f

I am making some small changes as some of the connections defy the laws of physics and are actually counter to basic electrical functionality. More on that later.

Yeah and the little cast head - just for fun. I might do some little rings later to give to the kids in the hospitals, but I have a lot of other work to do so no promises yet.

Thinking of the kids...GOOD JOB!!!:D:D how much for one if I said I wanted one?just asking, me want me dad most like likely say no but...

Thinking of the kids...GOOD JOB!!!:D:D how much for one if I said I wanted one?just asking, me want me dad most like likely say no but...

I can't sell them dude. Iron Man is the intellectual property of Marvel, so I can't profit from IM related products, regardless if I made them or not.

I figured the first kid to get a ring should be my three and a half year old boy.

I still think the head is twice as big as it needs to be, which is too small for my tooling to do. Also there are problems with skin allergies and the dangers of strong metal rings on kids hands. Metal rings are really only for adults in my humble opinion.

So, I think if I am going to continue, its time to design them with a split in the ring for safety and 3D print them in plastic.

ll20TL9.jpg

QgOevY5.jpg

I turned the bigger one into a key ring by attaching a brass plate to the back of it.

xk2ylCf.jpg

EIjLdGZ.jpg

I've concluded that the time taken to carve a model, cut up scrap aluminium, mixing sand, casting, clean up, detail, polishing and attaching back-plate/sizing finger diameter etc is far too long. I know there are ways to shave time, but it's really not worth it to do by hand.

Back to the suit.

SB.

I turned the bigger one into a key ring by attaching a brass plate to the back of it.

http://i.imgur.com/xk2ylCf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EIjLdGZ.jpg

I've concluded that the time taken to carve a model, cut up scrap aluminium, mixing sand, casting, clean up, detail, polishing and attaching back-plate/sizing finger diameter etc is far too long. I know there are ways to shave time, but it's really not worth it to do by hand.

Back to the suit.

SB.
That, Just looks professional, the cuts... so professional that there is no other way to say it in words
sAGWVio6.jpe
but again, a picture is worth a million words right, or was it a million words is worth a picture...

Progress on the arc reactor,

I have decided to build a modified arc reactor based on a couple of guidelines I think are important. As this unit is only going to be visible from the front and not designed to be removed from the suit, the appearance from the front is paramount while appearance from the sides and back is irrelevant.

The other thing is that reference material shows each of the transformers around the outside of the reactor appear to be shorted out at every piece. To give scientific and electrical credibility to this miniaturised power-plant, I will be winding the coils in a continuous power feed line from one transformer to the next.

We have built the main body out of solid acrylic, turned and recessed to fit all the internal brass and aluminium components and illumination. parts of the acrylic will be transparent to let light through in the right places while other facets will be semi-opaque to diffuse the light and give the appearance of massive amounts of stored energy.

We still have the outer ring and transformers/electromagnets to go. More on that soon.

ZRaik8P.jpg

WEQSVxL.jpg

5AD1WHv.jpg

Work continues on the arc reactor. Fired it up today with 50% of it's illumination in place. Machining of the electromagnetic receivers next.

There are many great machinists out there, but it really makes a difference when you can be in the workshop with them to consult on every aspect of how you want it to look, what you want to achieve and how you are prepared to compromise to arrive at the end result.

Without housing.

KcB5daE.jpg

With housing.

GzDUiAl.jpg

Powered down.

gN0vJ8R.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back