[FINISHED] I'm alive, I'm back, and I'm starting my own foam armor build! (Pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPO mendez

Hello once again 405th, It's CPO Mendez. I'm back after a long hiatus and have finally started my own Reach Foam build for the Halo 4 launch party. Since i'm new to the foam method, I'll be making my custom halo reach armor instead of the Chief's snazzy new suit. I'll also be hardening the foam armor with a fiberglass resin method,
Found here: http://www.xrobots.co.uk/coating/

Here's the foam files I have as of now:
Forearms
Biceps
Torso
Codpiece
thighs
Shins
(All courtesy of L3X and his crazy amazing 3D modeling skills)
But i still need foam files for a helmet, chest add-ons, boots, and handplates. I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could float these my way.

Here's what i have so far:

i started with the right thigh (sorry about the camera quality):
IMG_1323.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1337.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

As you can see it turned out as an absolutely ABYSMAL train wreck. I tried doing the thigh over again, which turned out as a slightly prettier train wreck:
IMG_1342.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

So this project is off to an awful start.
But you can pull the gun out of your mouth, it gets a little better from here.
After i finished crying in the shame corner, i started on the shin and forearm:
IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg

This is what i have so far. Definitely not pretty, but it's there. I'll be updating soon with the left shin and forearm.

UPDATE TIEM:

I just came home and caught a Vandal red handed in my garage:
IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

My puppy, Tex, got bored and decided to have a little fun with my forearm piece.
Looks like it's damaged beyond repair:
IMG_1356.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

Ouch, that sucks. Lesson learned, put the armor out of reach of the dog. Hopefully he didn't swallow too much foam.

personally, (from the pics...probably worse in person) i think that looks kind of awesome...buncha pockmarks and a energy sword slash = made-to-order battle damage and weathering

I applaud you for what you have done so far, but I don't think your pieces look clean. No offense, but I think you may need to brush up on the foam method. When you combine two pieces of foam, they need to "butt up" without any gaps. For angled pieces, you need to cut both edges at an angle. Otherwise, you get the pieces not lined up together and you see gaps in between. You should check out Drack's tutorial. I also have a tutorial on YouTube on the basics of cutting at an angle and putting the pieces together. Check out my channel below.

Also, it is general knowledge that you do not hardened foam. I watched the link you provided above, and I can say that the method is overly complicated and unnecessary. We use foam because it flexes and easy to wear. It defeats the purpose if you start hardening foam.

Good luck with your build.

I applaud you for what you have done so far, but I don't think your pieces look clean. No offense, but I think you may need to brush up on the foam method. When you combine two pieces of foam, they need to "butt up" without any gaps. For angled pieces, you need to cut both edges at an angle. Otherwise, you get the pieces not lined up together and you see gaps in between. You should check out Drack's tutorial. I also have a tutorial on YouTube on the basics of cutting at an angle and putting the pieces together. Check out my channel below.

Also, it is general knowledge that you do not hardened foam. I watched the link you provided above, and I can say that the method is overly complicated and unnecessary. We use foam because it flexes and easy to wear. It defeats the purpose if you start hardening foam.

Good luck with your build.

Thanks for the great advice. there are definitely gaps and it looks unclean, and i thought the hardening method would be able to fill those gaps. I've tried cutting the foam at angles, but the knife i'm using just isn't sharp enough. What would you recommend?

For clean cuts you need to have sharp blades, when they get dull the rip instead of cut. So keep extra blades handy. Also when build in foam try to get as many big peaces as you can, which means you might have to glue together a few pep peaces to get that large area. It will help cut down on the number of seams you have to glue. Also remember foam can be heated and bent into shapes so you can put a curve in it if needed.

CPO mendez! Nice to see you back in action! Black labs LOVE to chew things (I lost many pairs of shoes when mine was a puppy) As for the armor , keep it up!

Welcome back !

-Jacob

don't beat yourself up buddy all comes with practice :)
just keep going at it and in no time you'll have a great looking armour set! if it helps I have a link to my basic foam tutorial and Drack also has one which is more comprehensive.
If you wanted to, rather than cutting out all the pieces you could try cutting out one big piece and then cut out grooves on the inside where the join should of been and then glue and bend it into shape. This give for a more seamless look with the disadvantage of a sharp edge, But thats what i've done and its worked out pretty well so far :p

Good luck mate and keep going!
DBmike

In terms of angled cuts, you could run along the edge of the piece with the sanding wheel of a dremel - just make sure you mark how far back you are aiming for.

...is that "Beyond Her Tomb" I see in the background?
;)

CJ

UPDATE TIEM!!!

Not really armor related, but check out what i just got!!
IMG_1358.jpg

You guys Jelly yet?

In terms of angled cuts, you could run along the edge of the piece with the sanding wheel of a dremel - just make sure you mark how far back you are aiming for.

...is that "Beyond Her Tomb" I see in the background?
;)

CJ

Yeah, that is Beyond her tomb into the background! Nice catch!

You shouldnt take the parts out of range . let the dog do his job . he know what he does. battle damage for the win ! :D

Btw i love your scarab!

UPDATE TIEM

sadly, my puppy finished the job on the old forearm piece, so i had to re-do it along with making the other

BIG THANKS to missingspartan7 for the dremel suggestion, it's worked wonders!
anyway, here's both forearms, updated and finished (Which look surprisingly sexy if i do say so myself)

IMG_1361.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

And finally, the (semi) finished product:

IMG_1393.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

Eh? Eh? slowly gettin the hang of it if i don't mind saying. But still a ways away from perfect...

You're welcome! Those gauntlets are looking damn fine!

And I can't figure out which remix of Eurobeat's 'Discord' that is, Tombstone's, or psygoth's?
The Scarab-Derpy pics were pretty funny too.

CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back