3D Printed Magnum WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

BritKnight

I wanted to make a magnum to accompany my (hopefully) upcoming Scout build, but I am too much of a noob to try to pep something that tough. However, I am lucky enough to have access to a 3D printer (the Replicator), so I decided to print one instead.

For those of you unfamiliar with 3D printing, it is a process where plastic is squeezed out of basically a robotic hot glue gun in a very precise way to make a whole model.

FAQ Video From YouTube (Hopefully this can explain better than I can xD):

So, what I did was download a magnum model from the Google warehouse, loaded it into sketchup, and did some modifications (The printer has size restrictions on what it can print, so I cut it up into smaller pieces that will fit). Hopefully it is still recognizeable:

2fc31d06.jpg

I am on vacation at the moment, but when I get back I will try it out! I plan to glue the pieces together and spray paint/detail once they have been printed.

PS For anyone who is interested but doesn't have access to a printer, check out shapeways, a service where they print out your models and ship them to you.

More Pics + Updates in a week or two

Last edited by a moderator:
If I got back to the states, I'm so gonna get myself one of these! It's super!
BritKnight! Make sure you post photos or videos when you are printing the Magnum!
Good luck!

I just found the file in the google sketchup warehouse. Just search for "halo pistol". I just took that model and sliced it to fit on the replicator's build platform. Here is the link: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=7e18917b5269162ef93fa400c03a8a24

Look on the 3d Warehouse for a halo 3 pistol by a modeler known as Furious George. His model is far superior to this one. You'll have to gut the model since he's modeled all the internal parts (including the bullets), but it's a heck of a model. His works also includes the ODST pistol (same pistol different attachments), the Halo 3 sniper rifle and the Halo Reach DMR. His pistol is what I started from when I developed my M6X-Multipistol pep file. If/when I get my hands on a 3D printer, this is exactly what I'll be doing first.

Edit: Here is a link to the model I'm talking about...

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=13c83b831f9a6b55c6311d6416b5ca1e&prevstart=0

The nice thing is that F.G. has the model broken down into different groups. So, the grip is a group, the slide is one, the receiver is one and the magazine is one. So, you won't have to break the gun down as it already is broken down, just modify the parts to print off, print them and assemble.

Thanks for the link, I will look at this when I am not at work :)

My engineer side wants to take the detailed model and setup a spring loaded slide off of the trigger, but is probably a project as large as building 1 suit of armor, and i got to finish that first.

Thanks a lot! This looks like a much better model!

Thanks a lot for the link! He has a great looking DMR which I was looking for recently.

Thanks for the link, I will look at this when I am not at work :)

My engineer side wants to take the detailed model and setup a spring loaded slide off of the trigger, but is probably a project as large as building 1 suit of armor, and i got to finish that first.

Yeah, his models are pretty detailed. I also forgot to mention that he has a model of the BR55 as well, off which I based my build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back