New Materials - PRIMER, EPOXY, And ALUMINUM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpent ZX

Pepakura... Yes... But resin, no. Bondo, no... I work for a government defense yard, where we build submarines for the navy. A lot of the stuff we do there you need secret clearance, and government ID's. I make molds all day long, and use special materials in the skills we use there. But certain materials have special properties, which can't really be pocessed from the public, and which is for navy use only... But, I sometimes tend to bring my work home with me through the security checkpoints... :lol: Any ways, instead of using resin, we use this special primer/adhesive... Its incompressable, and just about the only things that can damage it are a sludge hammer with huge chisel spikes, or 5,000 psi of water blasting... Other then that, it sticks to anything, and is permanent... It has a very flexible, yet stiff property, and almost impossible to break, no matter the thickness. Its a amber color... It cures extremely quick, within 3 to 30 minutes... Depending on how much is in one spot. If left in the can, and not used, but mixed, the can would easily burn you from the heat generated. But when brushed on thin, takes longer to cure since there is less heat generated. It can be used in layers, and painted on when fresh, but it must be used in kits, so little at a time. The second material, is like bondo. Same concept as the other stuff about the curing. Less, takes longer to cure, and huge amount takes 2 hours. Plenty of work time, but when its done, its as hard as steel, and stiff as a mother f*****. Its a special metal epoxy adhesive, thats why. You can shape it, and mold it. Very thick stuff, and almost the consistency of soft clay, but very sticky. Can be applied to almost anything. Full cure is 16 hours. At that point, its hardness is great, and just flexable enough to hold its shape to whatever surface you apply it to. If it can be used to build submarines for the navy, then it can be used for a chief suit... Both materials have unbelievable properties. But both are also extremely toxic, with the primer kit containing pure isonate. Can you say, Tumorous? But when hardened, and painted, completely harmless... I was thinking of giving both chemicls a test run on a chest that I am going to begin to build soon. I just picked up 300 sheets of 110 pound cardstock, and about 100 pieces of 8x10 aluminum flashing and small zinc plated machine screws with hex heads to integrate into the layers of the armor on every flat surface or large area. I already tested some to see the strength... One layer cardstock, then primer, then aluminum, primer again, then metal epoxy, then primer yet again... Then paint. Results... 1/4" thick, and knife proof, and also 90% bullet proof. Yes, bullet proof. Depending on distance. 100 feet away, your good to go. Point blank range... The bullet still had trouble going through, but made it... But it wouldn't atleast go THROUGH your body. LOL I'll let you know how the tests go when I find the time.

bulletproof at one layer of adhesive? that's nuts
how are you going to sand it down though if you wanted
you won't be able to cut excess off too easily either

but an actual bulletproof MC suit= kickass

the government hides all the good stuff :(

That's amazing adhesive dude... How much weight does one layer add? I knew something like this existed but I knew I would never be able to get my hands on it. Imagine if the government sponsored you to make 100 of these suits to make elite soldiers that could almost never die... I'll bet the enemy would run in fear so you wouldn't even have to shoot a single round, ha ha. Anyways, please post updates on your progress, I'm kind of excited to see the finished project.

Also, is there a way to make the suit completely bullet proof? Some might say that the suit is simply for looks only but no one here can tell me that it wouldn't be cool to have an almost full functioning Master-Chief Mjolnir armor suit that was immune to gunshots and knife wounds.

I'm also curious as to what you will use to make the black part of the suit which is the flexible part of it, some kind of kevler-like material perhaps? haha. Anyways, good luck to ya.

Dude, that's awesome. XD You could probably fall out of a big tree while wearing that armor and be perfectly fine later.

i want it!!!!! im going to join the marines... so ill meet you some placce in a year or 2 and u should get me some :D

How does it handle being out in the sun all day ? Would it cook you alive inside ? And believe it or not, goverment tech is YEARS and sometimes decades beyond anything civilians have. Just something that you need to get used to =/ This material sounds interesting.

Is there any way for us normal people to but the correct ingredients for this special material, or is it not even on the periodic table :p

Looking forward to the results. Also how much would a forearm weigh per say against something like the urethene plastic molds and fiberglass stuff floating around here ?

There is something called : Dyneema. This is knife and bulletproof and verry light. it cost a few buck, but then you are really safe :rolleyes

Well, I have worked there for 2 years now, and most of the stuff we do there doesn't seem like a big deal. And to answer your questions, Weight wise, it weighs the same as rubber. They are all dirived from rubbers. The materials main use is in sound dampening. The applications for a submarine must be EXTREMELY strong... Some of the other yards build tanks, and other military vehicles, but they don't put up to the abuse a sub does. Salt water is Earth's most harshest environment... Constantly eroding, and the moisture. And to add to that, such extreme pressures at certain depths in the water which would normally, crush 2 inch steel like a plastic cup... The only thing keeping Navy Seals, and navy personnel safe is 2 inches of steel, and another 2 inches of this material covering the whole sub. The best way to describe the materials is a rubbery steel. The compression at such depths... Is unbelievable... To give you an idea... You take a string, and tie it to one beam, and then run it to another... Make it as tight as you possibly can without breaking. And also about 4 feet off the floor, height wise. When the sub goes down... Down, down, down... Come back and look at the string... Its loose as all hell, and touching the floor. EVERYTHING compressed. Hell, we had a sub come in that hit an underwater mountain, and the WHOLE front end was demolished... But it survived. Your talking a mountain thats like a mile high underwater of solid rock. Subs that we build are around 500 - 1000 feet long. Some even bigger. Some even smaller. Nuclear powered subs are amazing. They really are. Oh, and not to sound like a jerk, but I am really afraid to say TOO much. I can get in a lot of trouble as it is already. One guy took pictures of some stuff cause he thought it was 'cool' and sent it to his friend, and somehow someone found out, and the Navy arrested him, and had to go to prison for 7 years, and so did his buddy who was innocent. But on the brighter side, I got one of the kits today. The metal epoxy. All I know is that it's a special hull treatment, and its name, I really don't want to say, but let me see if I can get a few pics... [attachment=589:100_1993.JPG] [attachment=590:100_1994.JPG]

Also, which do you think would make the best armor... Clay molding, or Pepakura? Pepakura, I was thinking of priniting on paper, then templating on aluminum flashing, and using it instead of cardstock. It would be a pain to work with, but even stronger. Sanding this stuff down isn't hard really. Major part of my job is shaping, and grinding at work. 24 grit sand paper, and a orbital sander... Rips right through anything. Hell, ANYTHING is sandable, just depends how hard it is to sand. Don't forget all the working times I have with the materials when they are cold... 5 hours with epoxy before its no longer pliable, but can get grated down with clay shaping tools easily, and the primer is within an hour. Heh. Just so you guys know, I almost got caught sneaking the epoxy out, because they were doing random tool bag checks today. They do them once and a while... Heh, so I need to be more careful, or I am f*****. This project might take longer then I thought... But atleast my friend is going to help me make 2 full suits. They will be applied to full pressure suits with gel layers. The back of the suit has a spine protector which looks beautiful, and also bulked up in all the right spots. Looks perfect for a chief suit. Even has the exact padding in the thigh area. And its temperature sensitive. Soak the suit in ice water for 2 hours, and the whole suit keeps cold for 15 hours, and also stays dry since its water proof. We are both hyped up for this project but not quite sure which method of construction will produce the best product. Any input?

Well, sounds like your risking a decent job that allows you an inside look into everything our fantastic goverment is hiding from us. But all in all, if you pull it off, it would be incredible.

As for that dynema stuff, I think that would be good to line the undersuit with and then use this metal epoxy and special rubber resin stuff for the armor.

Then all youd need to find is a polarizeable bullet proof visor, which Im sure we have allready, just dont have acsess too =/ Damn goverment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back