Frozensnot's Mark VI w/ duel SMG's + MA5D (HD pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Frozensnot's Mark VI w/ duel SMG's (HD pic heavy)

This is stunning and your pep and foam skills are ridiculously good really inspirational.

holy crap! This is AWESOME! The details and weathering is really awesome. Following this thread to see the end result!
Thank you! It's been a long journey but it's getting close to its end.
This is stunning and your pep and foam skills are ridiculously good really inspirational.
Thank you! Those foam pieces I made were some of my first complete ones. Using foam was easier than I originally thought.

Between writing a tutorial and school, I have had little time to work on my armor. I mostly forgot to take pictures because of how slow the progress has been. But I will have a decent update to show in the next couple of days. Stay tuned!

UPDATE

It seems the closer we get to our goals, the bigger the hurdles we have to overcome. Fortunately for me, they are mere minor alterations that need to be made.

I apologize if I didn't take any photos of my boots but I was too excited to try it all on! Once I start working on my new thighs, I can take some close up shots of the boots.

Halo%20Armor%20almost%20there%20001%20HD_zpsked64jh7.jpg

Halo%20Armor%20almost%20there%20004%20HD_zps5qfdbmya.jpg

I tried to look like I was peeking around the tree...didn't work out as I thought it would, haha.

Halo%20Armor%20almost%20there%20006%20HD_zpstkpwqme4.jpg

Halo%20Armor%20almost%20there%20009%20HD_zps0uu4alsw.jpg

I had my photographer (brothers are great) take a stream of photos as I ran in his general direction. This is the best shot that came out of that run. I had a blast running around as fast as I could in the armor :).

Halo%20Armor%20almost%20there%20011%20HD_zpssrbjy7ss.jpg

From the top down, almost all of the pieces are complete. The following pieces need some improvement:

-The helmet still needs lights and it's custom visor.
-The chest and shoulders need replacement lights.
-The thighs need to be re-made.
-The shins still need lights.
-The front panel on the right boot came off during the run.

About those thighs I keep talking about. I started P90X 3 about 4 weeks ago and apparently my thighs increased in size. I never accounted for the increased muscle in my thighs and now I'm paying the price. My thigh pieces fit a little snug before but now I can't hardly put them on. The next thighs are being made from foam with the scale size increased. I'm just hoping my thighs don't get any bigger :).

As I was doing the run, the front panel of my right boot fell apart. JB Weld should solve the problem easily. I'm just glad I ran into this problem now rather than later. It would suck to have do some decent repairs during a con.

I'm also needing a better neck seal. The balaclava started to fall down during the mini photoshoot. It's also quite uncomfortable and very hot. I'm hoping to eventually make one based off of bluerealms neck seal. Until the thighs and boots are completed and repaired, the neck seal will have to wait along with the undersuit.

Wish me luck as I make the thighs! As always, Thank you for stopping by!

Last edited by a moderator:

Frozensnot, I have a question for you. Did you glue the chest and back armor to your comp suit? Use straps to hold it on? Or does your armor just rest on top of it and not slide back?

Frozensnot, I have a question for you. Did you glue the chest and back armor to your comp suit? Use straps to hold it on? Or does your armor just rest on top of it and not slide back?
The whole chest piece rests on my shoulders and it fits quite nicely. The chest isn't really going to slide anywhere. It's snug but not to the point where I can't breath :). The straps you are seeing is part of the shoulder harness that is attached to the parachute belt, which holds the cod piece together. At a later time, I would like to go more in depth how it all fits together. Although there are some pretty good tutorials out there for mounting armor.

This is the mounting tutorial I based mine off of minus the whole motorcycle compression suit part.

Frozensnot, are you planning on doing an ab/stomach wrap?

Also, there might be a way to dye the white seams on your leggings, but I'm not super savvy in terms of fabrics on what you can and can't do. Dying them would make things look better though! :)

Frozensnot, are you planning on doing an ab/stomach wrap?

Also, there might be a way to dye the white seams on your leggings, but I'm not super savvy in terms of fabrics on what you can and can't do. Dying them would make things look better though! :)
I actually wasn't planning on using an ab wrap. I certainly could use one to hide the straps before I actually do the detailed undersuit. I had never considered that option and I'm glad you brought that up :). It may be a while before I actually start on the detailed undersuit considering it's lower on the priority list.

To color in the white stitching, I was planning on using a permanent marker. Although I am unsure if it would really be "permanent" once they are placed in the washer. Anyways, thank you for the suggestions! I may have to end up dyeing those seams.

I know some dyes can damage fabric, so just make sure to do some research beforehand.
I was also thinking of using permanent marker as a temporary solution for the seams on my leggings... though the better solution is probably to just sew a strip of fabric over it to add in some detailing.

Doing a little bit of research, the materials that make up my leggings are not "dye" friendly at all.

As quoted from pburch.net, "Dyeing polyester requires that you boil the fabric in disperse type dye for an hour. However, your garments contain spandex as well. Spandex is extremely heat-sensitive and will be damaged by even one minute of boiling. Polyester/spandex garments are essentially undyeable. The only option for changing the color of your garments is pigment dyeing, which is actually not dyeing at all, but instead applying fabric paint."

WandererTJ, the best option would be to add detail. I guess that's another thing to add to the list of things to do for the undersuit.

UPDATE

Now that I have officially graduated, I was able to put some work into the thighs. Both of the thighs took roughly four days to complete and I'm satisfied with the results. Once I figure my contraption of mounting the smgs to my thighs, I will move onto the smoothing stage. The thighs may look a little rough but I'll make them look good :).

I also took some pictures of my boots. The whole setup is kind of ghetto but it feels very flexible. I can easily run in them without much issue because the pieces are separated from each other in three distinct areas.

In comparison to the previous thighs, I believe the newer thighs look better on me. The scale seems pretty dang good in my opinion.

I'm hoping to figure out my mounting contraption by the end of this week and start working on the small imperfections on the thighs. Until then, thanks for stopping by!

Halo Armor Thighs and Boots 007 HD.jpg

Halo Armor Thighs and Boots 003 HD.jpg

Halo Armor Thighs and Boots 004 HD.jpg

Halo Armor Thighs and Boots 008 HD.jpg

Halo Armor Thighs and Boots 011 HD.jpg

Halo Armor Thighs and Boots 013 HD.jpg

Halo Armor Thighs and Boots 014 HD.jpg

Halo Armor Thighs and Boots 021 HD.jpg

Looking good, if you want to get rid of the straps, I've seen some really good vids on how to use heavy duty snaps from JoAnnes since its foam.

UPDATE TIME

JonnyQball79 Thanks, I'll have to look into that!

A lot has happened in the past few months. First off, I'm going to be moving to Bellingham for school in the next several weeks. I'm pretty excited to start the next phase of my education in a more...wet environment. With that in mind, I am kind of on a tight schedule to finish or at least complete most my armor before I leave. I can do electronics once I am settled in Bellingham. All of the armor has been finished with the exception of strapping and electronics. I also happened to finish my MA5D kit I ordered from Tactonyx a while back.

The one thing I still need to finish is my vacuum formed visor. For the vac table I decided to base my designs off of X-Robots vac table. His instructional video can be found here. As of right now I'm waiting on some supplies to finish the table. This is what I have so far. The table and the frame have been cut out and all 289 holes have been drilled.

DSCN1427%20HD_zpsaym0oadh.jpg

DSCN1428%20HD_zps88ebnr6s.jpg

The thighs were finished as well.

DSCN1433%20HD_zpsrxfgfkbd.jpg

DSCN1434%20HD_zpsvlzk1rk9.jpg

DSCN1435%20HD_zpss0uwkiqi.jpg

The MA5D took me longer to figure out. For all the time I had it (which was close to 6 months), I couldn't decide what color I wanted it. I wanted to make it unique, something that I have not seen before. One of my brothers suggested using Kryptek camo. I was sold when I saw the color patterns pontus and Neptune. I decided to go with Pontus.

pattern-pontus.jpg

I could have went to a professional that uses hydro graphics but decided to do it myself. While it didn't come out exactly the same as a professional job, I'm still proud I did it all on my own. I thought it was going to come out worse than I thought :p.

DSCN1438%20HD_zpskgeooveu.jpg

DSCN1431%20HD_zpsgii5vhea.jpg

The electronic display really adds to the look. It looks so awesome!

DSCN1439%20HD_zpsua9jl222.jpg

Well that's it for now. If the supplies for my vac table come soon, I could have several vacuum formed visors within the next week. We will see though.

Thanks for stopping by!

Wow that looks unreal! Excellent job mate. Hope to see more soon

Gun looks awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thoroughly entertaining build thread mate! I'm watching with interest!

SB

Wow that looks unreal! Excellent job mate. Hope to see more soon

Gun looks awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thoroughly entertaining build thread mate! I'm watching with interest!

SB
Thank you all for the encouragement! I'm not sure if this thread will get more exciting though. Unless vacuum formed visors and electronics sparks your interest. I'll make a detailed undersuit down the road but that will have to wait if I want to be ready for the release of Halo 5.

UPDATE TIME

With only a week and a half left before I leave for college, I kicked this build into high gear. I first started by playing the Metal Gear Solid Series for the first time, *doh*! Certainly not the best way to make armor but I couldn't help myself once I started the first one :p. But I did manage to prioritize my time by working on my armor during the day and saving the Metal Gear Solid series for the night.

Anyways, for this update I'll mainly be focusing on my newly formed visors, more specifically vacuum formed visors. I've gotta say that doing this for the first time seemed quite daunting. Lucky for me though, I was able to come out with four pretty dang good looking visors.

Here is the setup. I have my custom heat box, the vacuum table, the buck, and the frame to hold the plastic.

DSCN1456%20HD_zpszsi4h6pn.jpg

Here is a close up of the heat box. This is where I found my heater. It's an Optimus H-9010 Wall Mount Utility Heater. It's rated at a max of 1500 watts (the box says 1500w but amazon says 1200w so I'm not sure which is the right one) and uses quartz heating elements. I wanted to make sure the heater didn't have a fan and the wattage rating was high enough, so that is why I went with this one.

I used 1/2" premium mdf for the actual box and lined the inside with aluminum foil and some type of aluminum tape I found. For the maximum heat and proper distribution of heat, I measured my box with two different dimensions. Two faces of the box are 18"x22" and the other two faces are trapezoids which measure out to 18"x12"x18" (basexbasexheight).

The heat box creates a nice even heat and works great for my current setup.

DSCN1444%20HD_zpsiausx23a.jpg

DSCN1445%20HD_zpswhsdpp5d.jpg

Moving on, instead of using wing nuts like XRobots uses, I opted for using clamps. I can easily remove the plastic and insert another sheet easily. It's more efficient in my opinion. For keeping the clamps on I first used JB Weld but I found that the adhesion was not strong enough. I also know that using screws in thin mdf is not the greatest idea because it splits easier. I wasn't left with much of a choice so I ended up screwing the clamps on.

DSCN1451%20HD_zpsjaduibvi.jpg

DSCN1452%20HD_zpspdegskcp.jpg

DSCN1453%20HD_zpsrykigyzx.jpg

For the suction I used a dyson and hooked it up to a pvc pipe. I can't exactly remember the size so if anyone is interested in the size of pvc pipe I used, I can add it in later.

DSCN1461%20HD_zps19xjyagv.jpg

Let's not forget the buck :)!

DSCN1448%20HD_zpsjvwmn4ay.jpg

DSCN1454%20HD_zpsejd8tz06.jpg

Doing this for the first time kind of stressed me out not knowing how long to heat the plastic up for. I made sure to time how long I kept the plastic heated so I could gauge how long to heat the plastic. Lucky for me, my first attempt was a success! The time came to about 115 seconds.

DSCN1462%20HD_zps3dzjpai6.jpg

DSCN1463%20HD_zpsj8oqijjg.jpg

DSCN1464%20HD_zpshbgylsbh.jpg

After the plastic had cooled off enough, I removed the plastic and cut out the visor with a stanely knife.

DSCN1469%20HD_zps3aru5n6m.jpg

DSCN1471%20HD_zpsitxfbhbm.jpg

Three attempts later, I ended up with four visors. I'm pretty stoked I didn't mess up a single sheet of plastic! Beginners luck I guess, haha.

DSCN1473%20HD_zpspczrmfmc.jpg

In the next couple of days, I will be dyeing the visors and give them a mirror finish. I'm going for a more orange visor. It would be cool to test out other colors but for now, I'll stick with the classic orange.

I also managed to install lights into the majority of my armor besides my helmet. I'll take pictures of the lights when the helmet is done. Besides, I put up enough pictures as it is :p. I'll try and keep these next few updates focused on the visor.

In any case, Thanks for stopping by!

Your build looks fantastic. Tell me, for the caulk you used on the foam to fill the gaps, was it acrylic or silicone? I want to say acrylic based on how well the paint looks.

That vacuum table setup looks awesome, Frozenshot! Your lens pulls look great as well. Looking forward to seeing you progression with the visors!

Your build looks fantastic. Tell me, for the caulk you used on the foam to fill the gaps, was it acrylic or silicone? I want to say acrylic based on how well the paint looks.
Thank you! Yes, you are correct about the caulk being acrylic. It also has a little latex. I think the caulk works really good for foam!

That vacuum table setup looks awesome, Frozenshot! Your lens pulls look great as well. Looking forward to seeing you progression with the visors!
Thank you! If everything goes as planned, I should be starting the dye process tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back