Props UNSC Weapons By Justinian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing work sir!! I know it will turn out as well as your other weapon builds, so I'll be watching. :)

-Matt

That SMG is sexy as hell, PLEASE OH PLEASE tell me your making the optional silenced pieces to go with it :) !!!!!

Looks fantastic Justin, im not sure if you mentioned as i didnt see it and im sorry in advance if you had mentioned, but whats it made out of??

Amazing work sir!! I know it will turn out as well as your other weapon builds, so I'll be watching. :)

-Matt
Thanks Matt. I am very pleased with it.

That SMG is sexy as hell, PLEASE OH PLEASE tell me your making the optional silenced pieces to go with it :) !!!!!
I do plan to eventually make the suppressor. I may not get to it until after Dragon Con though. It all depends on how busy I get.

Looks fantastic Justin, im not sure if you mentioned as i didnt see it and im sorry in advance if you had mentioned, but whats it made out of??
Thanks, buddy. I t is made from laser cut acrylic.... and lots of Bondo.

Big update. I go a lot of work done this weekend.

First up, I was able to put my lathe to work, and I made the barrel. I used PVC pipe as a base, but it was about 3/16" too wide, so it had to be shaved down... I like my parts to be exact.
102_4188_zpsb2cde62a.jpg

102_4189_zps5555cb00.jpg

Once the basic shape was there, it was time to add the holes. I made a template with some blue painters tape, and applied it to the barrel.
102_4190_zps25df6cd8.jpg

Then I used my drill press to get all of the holes drilled at the exact same depth.
102_4191_zps70d22ac8.jpg

30 minutes, and 135 holes later, the barrel is complete.
102_4192_zps0e12bb10.jpg

Next up was to engrave all of the fine details into the parts. Here is the front grip.
102_4197_zps0c012ff6.jpg

Here are the tab things that go on the side of the stock. Very simple design, but accomplish the perfect look.
102_4193_zps142765a2.jpg

102_4196_zpsd2688029.jpg

Then I cut out and assembled the front and rear sights.
102_4194_zps02930f0b.jpg

I needed two screws (as details) but only had one. so I made a mold and some copies.
102_4195_zps66c530ae.jpg

And last but not least, I got most of the details on the base of the gun finished.
102_4198_zpse56a6041.jpg

All of the parts are coming together very well. And I am surprisingly still on schedule. I'll be doing the last of the "fine tuning" tomorrow, and then I will be starting the molds tomorrow night. Stay tuned for more SMG speedbuilding madness.

Thanks.... now I have the strong urge to make a flamethrower now.
This is the last thing I should make. Well, at least I'm responsible with fire :)

And "no fire" rules be damned. I'd totally take the DQ. The audience knows who should've won ;).

This is when I envy you and your toys. Beautiful work on your SMG. It really is all the small details that make builds like yours stand out.

Wow man those are crazy fast updates lol.
Love it!
I always like threads to get updated pretty quickly. But this time it has come pretty close to killing me. I hope to never do one this fast again. lol

This is when I envy you and your toys. Beautiful work on your SMG. It really is all the small details that make builds like yours stand out.
Thanks. I have a thing for collecting awesome tools. :) And yes, the little details are what make all the difference.

Another big update. I spent the last few days pretty much working around the clock on getting this finished up and molded. For some reason it took me almost twice as long as normal to get this one molded.

But here is the master copy all finished, and assembled.
102_4205_zpsb859702a.jpg

The front grip folds and the stock is collapsible. I will get into those details later.
102_4207_zps06db79df.jpg

102_4206_zpsc223c8af.jpg

102_4208_zpsb76920a7.jpg

7 box molds for this kit. Here they are with the last layer of silicone curing. I used Mold Star 30.
102_4203_zps5f4d1cc0.jpg

And here they are taken apart and in the process of being cleaned off. The release agent, and clay needs to be thoroughly cleaned, before any resin can be poured in.
102_4204_zps3cdbe8e5.jpg

And then there were two. The first casting is on top.
102_4209_zps4f96faea.jpg

The first casting was more of a test, to make sure that everything works. It does, but needs some tweaking to minimize air bubbles. I'll be using the long weekend to get one (or two) painted.

Thanks for looking.

Man, this SMG is absolutely beautiful, the amount of detail you manage to get into your builds is incredible. I would give my left arm for one of these. I can only hope my hammer turns out half as good.

I can't wait to see the final product!

Man, this SMG is absolutely beautiful, the amount of detail you manage to get into your builds is incredible. I would give my left arm for one of these. I can only hope my hammer turns out half as good.

I can't wait to see the final product!
Thanks Jimmy. The good news is that I do not accept body parts as a payment, so you can keep your arm. Your gravity hammer is looking good so far, I am sure you will do a great job with it.

Big update.

I have been working around the clock, trying to get two of these finished. And during this mad rush, I have forgotten to take pictures.

So here it is with all of the base coat colors done.
102_4210_zps9a0fe719.jpg

102_4211_zps1d868b18.jpg

102_4212_zps71bee08e.jpg

Overall it is a very easy kit to clean up. The seam lines are the only issue, and the occasional air bubble. For weathering I did some experimenting with my airbrush, and liked the results much better than the standard dry brush and then a blackwash. So here is the final paint job.
102_4215_zps9b7a1d8a.jpg

102_4214_zpsc8401e73.jpg

102_4213_zps3d8caaf0.jpg

I will elaborate more on the finishing process soon.

you should send one to 343 and tell them the next time they need some guns call you up and ask about them.

Thank you both. This is by far my most professional work. Learning to use my airbrush made such a huge difference.

With such awesome and realistic weapons, I needed a realistic weapon carrier. So I painted up a gun case with a UNSC theme. The case was solid black, and I only had this afternoon to work on it. I think it came out great.

102_4216_zps917bd2f8.jpg

102_4217_zpsb312fd10.jpg

Stay tuned for more exciting big news.....

Weapons look great man. Hey hows that harbor freight lathe? Any good? I was looking at it last week trying to figure out how I could machine up a tool holder for it.

The guns. The Case. Awesome! That really is great work. I really like how you made the divots in the flash supressor.

Redshirt

Weapons look great man. Hey hows that harbor freight lathe? Any good? I was looking at it last week trying to figure out how I could machine up a tool holder for it.
I love the Harbor Freight lathe. It works very well, and is super easy to use. I have only tried it on PVC and resin, and it works excellent.
Bro this is amazing work and care, I love it, perfect amount of realistic paint.
Thank you. I am so pleased with the way the paint came out. This is hands down the most realistic paint finish I have ever done. It makes me want to go back and repaint my other props.
The guns. The Case. Awesome! That really is great work. I really like how you made the divots in the flash supressor.

Redshirt
Thanks red. I couldn't help but think of you when I was doing the barrel. lol

Update time.

I was finally able to get some time to go into detail of how I was going to make the stock move. It is actually quite simple. Sometimes closet doors have something on them called a ball catch.
ballcatch_zpsb574236b.jpg

They are usually intended for regular size doors, and are quite large. But I did enough searching, and found them in a small enough size to fit on the stock.
102_4225_zps25139002.jpg

102_4226_zps97b56aa1.jpg

When the stock is inserted into the gun, the ball will be pushed in, to make it flush with the stock.
102_4228_zps6e52b4d9.jpg

The stock can move freely, until the ball lines up with one of the two holes, and the spring pushes it down, causing it to catch.
102_4229_zps45175f0a.jpg

There are two acrylic strips. One with holes and one without. The one with the holes, goes on the bottom, with the hole closest to the side going in first. The solid strip goes on top. Once those are glued in place, it should work perfectly. If it is too tight, the actual stock may need to be sanded down a bit more.
102_4227_zps861ee024.jpg

Here are all of the parts in the basic SMG kit.
102_4230_zpse860047f.jpg

I also have a few extra kits available if anyone is interested. ;)
102_4224_zpsd7c6410f.jpg

I was finally able to get some time to go into detail of how I was going to make the stock move. It is actually quite simple. Sometimes closet doors have something on them called a ball catch.

Crutches are known for using Ball Catches as well. I had no idea closets used them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back