Gears of War Female COG Armor Buid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs BlueV

Hey 405th'ers
I have always been into gaming and all around nerdness..When I found out I could make my own Armor..*Faint :D....My biggest problem was what to build first! Gears of War is one of my favorite games and I even like the comics and books that come out of the saga. The character I am trying to portray isn't in game-play...yet ;) Her name is Alex Brand. I will admit I have also started on other things ^_^ (later threads)

I began by using the Anya Pep File(Basic)(Modeled by Jakkrit/Unfolded by Satchmo 111) Modifications will be done to appearance in bondo/paint stage.
(But i have NOT done anything to modify the original pep/file or re-post the modelers file.)

Alex Brand
5c46eb03.jpg

So I Printed Out around about 60-something Pages...So It Begun
b138e546.jpg

In the Meantime..I picked up a few supplies
6fcb553e.jpg

I started with the back which had larger pieces so it was easier and faster to assemble
a0ea8a5b.jpg

Update: Complete the Front Of Armor
7d8163ea.jpg

34ee706e.jpg

59e45c9e.jpg

And I have encountered My First problem. The scalling is completely right to my body with the Arm/Neck Holes fitting perfectly HOWEVER
If im going to wear it there is no way I can slip it on over head as the Bottom Hole is too Small. Because I have encountered this problem I have decied to
Cut both the sides as well as the shoulders so that I may test fit it to make sure. I believe that this will make it easier to Resin/Fiberglass.

0ff5eb10.jpg

It does look a little warped in some areas but nothing bondo can fix right? You are off to a great start!

Just some advice. Yes, definetaly test out the chest and see if it fits. But don't leave it in two seperate pieces when it comes around to resining and fiberglass time. A lot of builders find that the two pieces that they resined and fiberglassed seperately don't match up correctly. But that's just my two cents.

Good luck with your build!

@RSpartain7 Thank You

@Frozensnot The chest does fit. NOT at all on the two cents. Im open to advice and suggestion. This is my first build and I wouldnt turn down advice. As for the two separate pieces. What should I do since if it is together it won't fit cause of the bottom.? I was thinking of attaching just the shoulder like a hinge somehow (think a pancho if the shoulders were hinged) Then when I do the soft armor have the sides connect with (webbing/strapping) If you have any ideas (Or anyone for that matter)

Please feel free to input cents..(lol) I wanna try to get this right the first time :)

This looks great! I'm interested to see how you work out the fitting issue you have as I've been musing about different ways to open the armor for easy of entry/exit while still keeping it solid. Are you able to fit through the bottom hole if you step through it or do you think it will have to close in around your waist?

I've seen a lot of people resin and fiberglass, and then split the chest, so that both the sides line up and most of the time, you'll only need to cut one side. I also know parachute clips that you can attach to the underside of the armor are a popular way to attach them back together. But, I haven't personally played with this, this is just what I've seen lurking around.
I'll definitely be following along, I've been thinking about doing my own Gears build (probably Valera), but that won't be until I get my spartan armor done, which I'll start hopefully next week. :)

Ok, first off. What you are going to want to do is get the two pieces back together, as best as possible. Then you will want to resin, and fiberglass at least once, if not several times. THEN, is when you are going to want to split the two pieces. Like others have said before, the two may not line up, So its best to split them when you know they cannot move. Then...Well we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Good luck on your build!

I HIGHLY advise you buy a respirator before you begin resining/fiberglassing/and adding bondo to your pieces. They are all toxic.

Good luck on your build, girl. :)

Thank you Tumbucu :)

@Mr.Sugar
32a54010.jpg

Deveralia
Yes. I have seen some splitting only one side. I've considered this. :) I have also recently seen a video by Cereal Killl3r (shown to me courtesy of carpathiavh99) With Magnets

Thanks PigBenis

DH748 Im going with what you said exactly. So Today I will be working on putting the pieces together. Tomorrow I will Resin and Post my Results.
Does anyone know of ways to prevent to much warping? (Before and after resining)

Mr.Sugar Link failed. Tried from computer/and phone

ACDCrockr209 You're a BRONY! I saw somewhere...Nice...Now back on topic. Yes I will purchase one tomorrow when I resin.

Last edited by a moderator:

DH748 Im going with what you said exactly. So Today I will be working on putting the pieces together. Tomorrow I will Resin and Post my Results.
Does anyone know of ways to prevent to much warping? (Before and after resining)

Well there are a couple way to help against warping, first is doing SMALL sections at a time, when the paper is soaked by the resin it gets weaker, so when supported by the stiffer dryer paper around it, itkeeps its shape, I'd advise 6x6inch areas at a time, but there isn't really a definative way of doing so. then also, some people put in popscicle sticks as support, kinda like beams... the biggest is trying not to do all of it, kind of eye the work and watch for it BEFORE it happens. Respirators are recommended.

To prevent warping:
Reinforce the armor as much as possible with anything sturdy. I bought a bag full of bamboo skewers that are used for making shishkabobs (I probably spelled that wrong) for 99 cents. Use superglue or painters tape to bridge the gaps (head hole, arm holes, etc) and hold things in place. Once the armor is reinforced do a couple thin coats of resin on the outside of the armor. The resin will soak into the cardstock and make the entire thing feel like a thin sheet of plastic. Once you're at this stage you have 2 options:
Option 1:
Slush some rondo (a mixture of resin and bondo) around on the inside of the armor. This will give you something you can cut into if you add any engraved details into the armor. You don't want this more than maybe 1/16 of an inch thick, as it will add weight to the piece. Fiberglass after you rondo.
Option 2:
Skip the rondo and just fiberglass the inside.

There's several tutorials on here about doing either one of these steps. If you have any other questions, you can ask them in the "Help!" threads at the top of the noob forum, and they'll be answered pretty quickly.

Good luck! The pep work looks good so far.

Update
So guys even though the Resining of the Armor is tomorrows task today I looked over some Pep Files For the Boots.
7ce4b9aa.png

I however have watched others use motorcross boots and then apply armor and applications
Soooooooooo..Im implus bought these today
ced5e337.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back