Chefbzd's Reach Spartan build...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMP Props

Member DIN
S114
Hello everyone. I will be posting the progress of my first armor project here. I am making a reach spartan suit, hopefully to be completed by the time megacon comes around in Orlando. I am a total noob here, so any advice will be greatly appreciated. Here is what I have so far...
knife_zpsad04f1ec.jpg
jpg[/IMG]
junhelmpep_zps431ceee2.jpg

m6_zps1f2d187c.jpg

m6open_zps17c30aef.jpg

i will also be doing the assault rifle, emile kukri, and jun's knife...gonna be armed to the teeth!

I started the torso last night, this is my second torso on this project because I did not scale the first one properly and it was HUGE. I also used a far less detailed one the first time. This time around I am using L3x Blu3r1v3r's Male torso v3, which is pretty wicked. The detail is just awesome. Here is a pic so far...

IMAG0200_zpsc8949fbb.jpg

And just a quick thumbs up to all the modelers/unfolders involved in this community...your work is greatly appreciated. I just wish I found out about pepakura/armoring earlier...oh well.

Anybody know a place in Palm Beach county to buy Smooth-cast or something similar? I can't rondo much at my apartment, the fumes travel to everyone else's balconies...and I don't want to pay $20 for shipping :(

Very clean pep work! I agree, you'll be armed to the teeth. One question though. I noticed that you used my M6X Multi-Pistol file, is there any reason you didn't use this file...

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30963-New-Halo-Reach-Pistol-Pep-File-(Now-with-Sliced-Win!)

The file in the above link was developed after the one you built and is far more accurate. In fact, I plan on updating the thread with the M6X and eliminating the Reach option in the near future.

Just thought you might like to know. Great work overall, keep it up!

That is a pretty sweet file, noob question...what does it mean when something is sliced? i noticed it is layered which should result in a much cleaner more reallistic end result...does this method require a diff medium than cardstock??? I will make this one too...nothing wrong with double fisting M6's...

thanks for the encouraging words, gents. here is the progres on the helmet...
junhelmrondo_zpsdee76ad3.jpg

resined and rondoed inside and out, sanded.

It kind of warped during the hardening process- bent inward on the top right panel of the visor/night vision goggly thing...gonna try to fix it, but might save it for paint practice and make a diff one...kind of want to do the operator helmet now that I found the file, its always been my favorite...
will post progress on the torso this evening after work.

That is a pretty sweet file, noob question...what does it mean when something is sliced? i noticed it is layered which should result in a much cleaner more reallistic end result...does this method require a diff medium than cardstock??? I will make this one too...nothing wrong with double fisting M6's...

Sliced is just another name for layered, rather than pepped. And yes, it requires a thicker material than cardstock. In the case of this file, it requires a material that is 1/16" thick, which is the standard thickness for mat board (used in picture framing and the like). There are a few parts of the sliced pistol that have many repeated parts, and you can cut fewer of these out of a thicker material (IE rather than cutting four 1/16" parts, you could cut one 1/4" part), but thicker material will get harder to cut, so it's up to you.

Judging by your skills with pep, you'd probably be fine putting together the pep version rather than the sliced version. There are floating faces on the pep file that need to be cut out of 1/16" material, so the detail is just as great. You can see a few pictures in the thread of the pep that I completed, and I think it looks pretty good. However, I have seen a few sliced files actually got finished and the result of nearly all of them were stellar, so which ever you choose, I'm sure it will look great.

Oh, and the helmet is looking very good as well!

printed the rest of my files, pep work should move along quickly. hope i scaled everything well...
I am a little worried about completing the project though, when i resin/rondoed the helmet on my patio, the smell of the fumes extended about 20 feet beyond my patio, which means my neighbors were probably smelling it...and hearing my dremmel as well...only a matter of time before it becomes an issue...:(

Didn't have much time to work on it today, but here is what I did...finished the bottom central part and the parts that wrap around it, also started going up over the shoulders. I really love this version of the torso, can't wait to finish it...doesn't seem like it will need much bondo work at all, super clean details and edges...going to watch "the woman in black" with my wife...more updates coming soon!
torso2_zpsca051e98.jpg

So I haven't much free time to work on the torso, I am currently opening a new restaurant in West Palm so most of my time and energy is being channeled towards that. Here is an update on the progress. I am really taking my time with this one, its a really good model (thanks Carpathiavh99 for the recommendation, by the way). It started to get pretty heavy and hard to work with, so to keep it straight while building I added some cardboard supports under the shoulders. I was able to finish the entire front portion, Here is a picture with the knife for a visual...

torsoknife_zps7733efaa.jpg

IMAG0204_zps7021b607.jpg

hopefully I will get some more done tonight...

It's very sturdy, its just 110# cardstock from staples, but for some reason, the colored cardstock seems sturdier than the plain white...

Looks great. You can fix the helm by lightly heating, and popping it out. As to card stock yes, Just because it says it's 110lb doesn't make it so. Go with the thicker stuff (colored) it will help you greatly.
This is just going to be a awesome build when you're done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back